Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Liao
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
Construct the instability deck by combining the solar flares with one other suit per player and shuffle the deck... Select the instability effect cards (same number as the suits above).

Would like clarification on the set up. So if there is 3 players we shuffled 3 different suits (1 suit added per player) of our choice with the 13 solar flare cards. Then we choose/random draw 3 instability effect cards.

That's how I'm interpreting the set up rules. However, the set up example is throwing me off. There's 4 different suits with 4 instability effect cards (cluster, duplicate, passage, synchronize) when there are only 3 players.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Spangler
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sable1013 wrote:
Quote:
Construct the instability deck by combining the solar flares with one other suit per player and shuffle the deck... Select the instability effect cards (same number as the suits above).

Would like clarification on the set up. So if there is 3 players we shuffled 3 different suits (1 suit added per player) of our choice with the 13 solar flare cards. Then we choose/random draw 3 instability effect cards.

That's how I'm interpreting the set up rules. However, the set up example is throwing me off. There's 4 different suits with 4 instability effect cards (cluster, duplicate, passage, synchronize) when there are only 3 players.

Thank you!

Ah yes, I think the confusion comes from the solar flares, which also count as a suit. The key word in the sentence is "other", as in "solar flares with one *other* suit per player", though that is admittedly subtle.

So yes, in this case you would have four suits (the solar flares + three others) and four corresponding instability effects.

Hope that helps! The number of suits included has always been a tricky thing to precisely convey for some reason, I think because the special role of the solar flares throws it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
No, the confusion comes from the way the rules are organized, sad to say.

There's four instability suits in the three-player example because you add one suit per player plus one more suit if you're not playing with vestigial structures.

If you skip over the vestigial structure rule because you don't want to play with them, you'll miss this.

Edit: Nope, I missed the part about solar flares having their own associated instability effect. The rule about adding an additional suit if you're not playing with vestigial structures still shouldn't be buried in what looks like an optional rule, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
UhhhClem wrote:
Nope, I missed the part about solar flares having their own associated instability effect. The rule about adding an additional suit if you're not playing with vestigial structures still shouldn't be buried in what looks like an optional rule, though.

I agree, it's confusing to have the extra suit in step 12, though it might be just as confusing to have someone set up the deck in step 11, then tell them if they're using step 12, to remove one of the non-flare suits.

So it looks like the result is this...

Playing with VS
Deck Suits = Solar Flares + # of players

Playing without VS

Deck Suits = Solar Flares + # of players +1

Honestly, the wording of the Universal Head insert is pretty good, though it still will be a problem if you skip step 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking and giving answers to this Q...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.