John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Really confused about the info in FAQ regarding adding cards to crisis pile.

Here's my current understanding with regard to the the Request action.

1. Any player, on their turn, may request item(s) from other players. If that player(s) gives an item to the current player it must be played immediately and equipped to a survivor they control.

2. Outsider cards are not items (except when being counted as part of a secret objective) and therefore cannot be requested.

3. Cards from the current player's hand can be contributed (whether an item or not) to the crisis pile. These must be added face down.

4. Cards that are currently in play as equipment can also be added to the crisis pile. They are taken from the player's survivor and played face UP to the crisis pile.

Now here's my confusion in FAQ 3.1.2

3.1.2 When I draw an Outsider Card do I have to reveal it immediately? No. Outsider cards work like any other item card, you may keep them in your hand until you want to play them. You can even request and play these cards into the crisis, just like any other item card.

Now I understand you can add them to a crisis (face down) from your hand, but requesting and then playing them to the crisis seems to be totally against all the rules I'm aware of.

Can someone help, I'm really confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JP NZ wrote:
1. Any player, on their turn, may request item(s) from other players. If that player(s) gives an item to the current player it must be played immediately and equipped to a survivor they control.

True.. Except, obviously, if the requested item is Food or an Outsider card (see answer 2), for example, it doesn't get equipped. It is just "played".

Quote:
2. Outsider cards are not items (except when being counted as part of a secret objective) and therefore cannot be requested.

False. Outsider cards are items just like all other item cards. They may definitely be requested. The only difference is that they are "removed from game" when played instead of going to the Waste Pile.

Quote:
3. Cards from the current player's hand can be contributed (whether an item or not) to the crisis pile. These must be added face down.

True, except for the parentheses. Every card in your hand that came from one of the Item Decks is an "Item".

Quote:
4. Cards that are currently in play as equipment can also be added to the crisis pile. They are taken from the player's survivor and played face UP to the crisis pile.

True.

Quote:
Now here's my confusion in FAQ 3.1.2

3.1.2 When I draw an Outsider Card do I have to reveal it immediately? No. Outsider cards work like any other item card, you may keep them in your hand until you want to play them. You can even request and play these cards into the crisis, just like any other item card.

Now I understand you can add them to a crisis (face down) from your hand, but requesting and then playing them to the crisis seems to be totally against all the rules I'm aware of.

You are correct. The answer in the FAQ is just poorly-worded.
"You can even request these cards" AND "You can even play these cards into the crisis" ... "just like any other item card".

"request and play into the crisis" is two things, not one thing.

Clearer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I thought there must be a grammatical error in the FAQ as it is written.

So Outsider cards can be requested, if received must be played immediately and if received this way cannot be added to crisis pile?

I'm guessing as they have not been 'equipped' they can't be added to the crisis pile anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really simple:

1. OutsiderItem cards can be requested, if received must be played immediately and if received this way cannot be added to crisis pile.

2. Outsider cards are Item cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
It's really simple:

1. OutsiderItem cards can be requested, if received must be played immediately and if received this way cannot be added to crisis pile.

However if they are 'equipment' item cards they can be requested and then immediately 'equipped' to a survivor and then immediately after that they can played to the crisis deck face up if desired. So in effect an equipment item card can be requested and added to the crisis pile (albeit face up)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JP NZ wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
It's really simple:

However if they are 'equipment' item cards they can be requested and then immediately 'equipped' to a survivor and then immediately after that they can played to the crisis deck face up if desired. So in effect an equipment item card can be requested and added to the crisis pile (albeit face up)?

I have played an incredible number of DoW games and never thought of this. Nice catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the rules for Dead of Winter would have been much clearer if they had not used the word "item" at all when referring to the cards in the game, especially since most people don't think of people or events as items. And also since all of the cards are "item" cards -- sure, if some of the cards weren't "items", then it would make sense. But they really should just say "cards" instead of "items" or "item cards" everywhere in the rules.

Try it. Read through the rulebook and delete the word "item" everywhere. It's so refreshing and clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.