10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Evolution or Evolution: Climate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KT Nereng
Norway
flag msg tools
I have recently been looking at the games Evolution and Evolution: Climate. These games have made me uncommonly undecided wether to buy them or not. Are they games I would love or am I just blinded by the beutiful art? The weight doesn't bother me and I generally like card games.

Can anybody share their experience with the games and which one I should purchase, if any of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are solid games, Evolution is just fine, but the extra dangers and abilities of Climate are nice.

Basically you can discard cards to create new species or to grow existing species in numbers or size. Then you can give your species traits to allow them to gain food (victory points) in more ways, or to make them more capable of hunting other species or make them harder to hunt.

Plant based foods are created each turn, and if you can not eat, your species will die. You play though the deck, and in the end the player whos species consumed the most food wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
As a biologist I can tell you Evolution is a really good game, with very thematic outcomes and which left me very satisfied (thematically) every time I play. Also is a easy game to teach, even in the familiy side of the spectrum in number and complexity of rules, although the lots of different powers (traits) on cards and the text on them put the game a bit heavier than casual family game IMHO. There are also several variants to play the game solo, for example I like the darwin variant (you play cards without looking at them) as the outcome is quite realistic and you have still a game to play.

All in all I recommend you the game, and on the climate version, which clearly round the game up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy Evolution: Climate you also have Evolution, so there really shouldn't be any discussion of one over the other, unless you're getting Evolution very, very cheap.

As others have said, it's a solid game, if it wasn't it wouldn't have been popular. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal taste. It's all nice and friendly until someone goes predator and starts feasting on their opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knutage wrote:
I have recently been looking at the games Evolution and Evolution: Climate.
For me it took Evolution: Climate to wake my interest in the game. I wouldn't consider playing the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm apparently one of few, but I prefer the original quite a bit to the Climate version. When playing with 4+ players (which is how I always play), the game is actually fairly short (you run through the deck pretty quickly). With climate thrown in the mix, you need to take more into account (which in itself is good), but you're also more thrown in one direction or the other (of which you have limited control). Some might argue that this forces you to adapt more, which is very thematic, but I don't think it's so much fun in terms of interesting choices. In Climate you are more likely to either not have the right cards at all, or only face an obvious choice with what you have available - and there's not enough time to stack up on some cards as aces up your sleeve. The base game offers you a bit more flexibility, which I appreciate more than the added thematic elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both games and as mrouser says above, if you buy Climate you also have the original. I prefer the Climate version, it adds some more small choices and cool events.

Something that may influence your decision is that the newest edition of Evolution no longer comes with the awesome linen bags and are instead replaced by player screens. Evolution Climate still has the linen bags. They replaced the linen bags to reduce the price, so if you don't care about this difference it would probably be much cheaper to buy Evolution and eventually buy the Climate update pack if you like the game. If you're like me and hate player screens however, I'd definitely recommend buying Evolution Climate directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are the same price, go for climate. Climate adds an extra element of thinking but it isn't overwhelming. And as others have said you can also play the regular game with Climate.

For both climate and regular evolution, I prefer them at 4-5 players. With lower numbers I feel like someone can dominate more easily if they get good combos of cards (or you get bad ones) in your first couple of rounds, but with more players that evens out. I'm particularly thinking about carnivores here. However, that is not to say it is a bad game at lower player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:

For both climate and regular evolution, I prefer them at 4-5 players. With lower numbers I feel like someone can dominate more easily if they get good combos of cards (or you get bad ones) in your first couple of rounds, but with more players that evens out. I'm particularly thinking about carnivores here. However, that is not to say it is a bad game at lower player counts.
Interesting, I'd say I'm the opposite. For me with too many players, it can get a bit chaotic and the game ends too quickly. With 5-6 anyway.

At 3-4 I find you can strategize a bit more based on what everyone else is doing.

Though really I've only played about five games of it so perhaps my sample size isn't large enough.

But I do agree, go with Climate. It's also very purdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Evolution w/ or w/out Climate a lot. It's perfect for satisfying the itch for an hour-long game with the possibility for direct conflict and negotiating/threatening. I started off with just Evolution and then added Climate via the Kickstarter conversion kit. Now I always play with Climate, because the ability to weaponize the climate makes the game even more interesting.

Also, at Origins, I paid $10 (originally $15 but I had a $5 off coupon) for a fabric version of the food map. It's vivid and rolls up without warping the way the cardboard pieces are subject to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.