Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hedekar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules a wording ambiguity exists and I'm hoping for clarification.
The draft phase wording describes both a "hand of five cards" being drafted and "picking one card from your hand and placing it face down in front of you". The word "hand" refers to both the group of cards you temporarily hold and is being passed around the table (I'll call this hand1), as well as the group of cards you are selecting to use during the dispatch phase (hand2). I understand drafting and don't need clarification there.

The problem arises when a prisoner is put back into your "hand" at the start of the draft phase. Is this hand1 or hand2? Basically, do players have the opportunity to pass their prisoner around the table in the following draft phase, or is that prisoner put directly into hand2 and they will be dealt and will draft one fewer cards than a player who didn't take a prisoner?

I am assuming from the mention in the strategy guide (in the prisoner section) of having to "pass [your prisoner] next round" that it goes merely into hand1 and you have the opportunity to not draft it back into your hand2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every player will have six cards in their draft pool at the start of the draft phase. That is due to:

1. You didn't take a prisoner, and you are dealt six outright.
2. You did take a prisoner, so you are only dealt five more directly on top of that prisoner.

After the deal, when you pick up your cards, you pick up all six. That may include 5 plus a prisoner, or just six if you didn't take a prisoner.

This means on your very first pick, you can grab the prisoner you took. Or, if you do not take them, they'll be passed along with all the other cards. You must draft it.

Otherwise,the prisoner could just be removed all game without you a.) having to spend a prisoner action on it and b.) having to spend a draft pick on it.

grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hedekar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
After the deal, when you pick up your cards, you pick up all six. That may include 5 plus a prisoner, or just six if you didn't take a prisoner.

Perfect. That clarifies things. Thank you.

HerrohGrant wrote:
Otherwise,the prisoner could just be removed all game without you a.) having to spend a prisoner action on it and b.) having to spend a draft pick on it.

We did play one game where the players with a prisoner from last round were only allowed to draft 4 cards and had to keep their prisoner for their hand of 5 for that round. It worked, but I like the official method better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedekar wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Perfect. That clarifies things. Thank you.

HerrohGrant wrote:

We did play one game where the players with a prisoner from last round were only allowed to draft 4 cards and had to keep their prisoner for their hand of 5 for that round. It worked, but I like the official method better.

The idea behind the prisoner is based on a few needs for the game.

1. A way to guaranteed you have a good next round. It helps you setup, which is good when it's uncertain what will be in the draft, and what is passed to you.

2. A way to deny an opponent a key card.

3. A way to stall during the dispatch phase.

4. A way to bury a card you really don't want played THIS round during dispatch, but don't care about next round.

Without a lot of rules it really adds a nice, and crucial layer to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.