Hide
9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Harbinger abuse ? (Nyarl vs Tsath) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ced Ric
msg tools
Hello there, I couldn't find anything about that so I thought I'd just ask...

It's probably not a common issue, but we noticed yesterday that given a few conditions, if Nyarl comes out with a bit of power left (3 in our example)after everyone else is done, then he can exploit Demand Sacrifice to play with an unkillable Tsath as his chew toy and repeatedly use Harbinger to get 4 more power, do a few more actions, keep 2 for move/combat, rinse and reapeat.

Dice results will probably stop him after a while, but we're talking straight 2 kills out of 2 dice here at least, so 1/36 odds. The player was fair about it, stopped after the 3rd time, but he could easily have done it a lot more, probably capturing lots and lots of cultists for free, and milking a few ES in the process (riskier, but hey when you don't have anything else left to do, it's free...).

Did anyone came upon that kind if issue earlier, and is there a suggested fix for it ? Or maybe it's just too uncommon in the end to worry about it, but it still would have given the CC player a straight victory yesterday had he wanted to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How did CC have power left when Sleeper didn't? Was Sleeper not using Lethargy?

Sleeper using Demand Sacrifice is optional - he doesn't have to give CC the choice. Of course Tsathaugguoa might die in that case.

CC can do something similar with Rhan-Tegoth - if WW has hibernated then CC can go and repeatedly punch R-T for Power/2 Elder Signs a time, unless R-T doesn't use Eternal.

I would expect CC would be better off getting the 2 Elder signs for punching rather than the power though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ced Ric
msg tools
Wait, using Demand Sacrifice is optional, really ? I wasn't aware of that, and then yeah it's a non issue...

And in our example, Sleeper just had a bad turn, just awakened his GOO and wasn't in the best position to use Lethargy too much, so yeah, it's not a common issue anyway. Just thought I'd ask if anyone was aware if the issue, but it's not like there's no potential for almost infinite combos in CW anyway. Just that this one doesn't require Neutral stuff to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the FAQ :

Q. Does Tsathoggua have to be personally involved in a Battle to use Demand Sacrifice?
A. No. So long as Tsathoggua is in play, Demand Sacrifice applies to all Battles against Sleeper’s units.

So DS is not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mormorod wrote:
In the FAQ :

Q. Does Tsathoggua have to be personally involved in a Battle to use Demand Sacrifice?
A. No. So long as Tsathoggua is in play, Demand Sacrifice applies to all Battles against Sleeper’s units.

So DS is not an option.

That's not correct.

Quote:
Spellbooks, Great Old One Special Abilities, and unique Faction abilities are optional to use.

Omega Rulebook, Page 19.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mormorod wrote:
In the FAQ :

So DS is not an option.

It applies to all battles even those without Sleeper in them if he chooses to use it! The FAQ answer is clarifying that Sleeper doesn't have to be personally present to be able to use it.

There are a few spellbooks etc that are non-optional, but they are explicitly called out in the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makura0 wrote:
Wait, using Demand Sacrifice is optional, really ? I wasn't aware of that, and then yeah it's a non issue...

And in our example, Sleeper just had a bad turn, just awakened his GOO and wasn't in the best position to use Lethargy too much, so yeah, it's not a common issue anyway. Just thought I'd ask if anyone was aware if the issue, but it's not like there's no potential for almost infinite combos in CW anyway. Just that this one doesn't require Neutral stuff to start.

Sure, sounds like you just had an unusual set of circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've settled this, but yes, to clarify:

Tsathoggua does not have to be physically present at a Battle for Sleeper to use Demand Sacrifice.

But, it is ALWAYS optional anyway, because all abilities are (unless stated otherwise in the ability text).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
I think you've settled this, but yes, to clarify:

Tsathoggua does not have to be physically present at a Battle for Sleeper to use Demand Sacrifice.

But, it is ALWAYS optional anyway, because all abilities are (unless stated otherwise in the ability text).

Arthur there is A thread that needs your clarification: rules > nyogtha combat.

Please, take a look if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.