Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

I'm so excited! I remember being a kid at the hobby store at the mall in the 80's. Mostly buying Car Wars or RPG stuff, but always taking the Vietnam 1965-1975 box down off the shelf to stare at it with awe and intimidation. Never bought it. (No one ever bought it, I guess.)

Fast forward to today, and I've acquired a copy off the geek market; it's on its way. I'm very excited! I'm finally going to experience this beat of a game 30-something years later!

I'm a long time board gamer but new to wargames for the most part, so it should be quite the introduction...

Are there any resources available to aid in learning the game? Should be here in a few days and I'm eager to start learning and playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, one other question: what's the generally agreed upon way to play this solitaire? I realize it's not the /most/ solitaire-able game due to hidden info, but I need to play by myself at least once before I ask to play with someone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
Folks,

I'm so excited! I remember being a kid at the hobby store at the mall in the 80's. Mostly buying Car Wars or RPG stuff, but always taking the Vietnam 1965-1975 box down off the shelf to stare at it with awe and intimidation. Never bought it. (No one ever bought it, I guess.)

Fast forward to today, and I've acquired a copy off the geek market; it's on its way. I'm very excited! I'm finally going to experience this beat of a game 30-something years later!

I'm a long time board gamer but new to wargames for the most part, so it should be quite the introduction...

Are there any resources available to aid in learning the game? Should be here in a few days and I'm eager to start learning and playing!

These forums are the best I've seen when trying to learn this game.

I will say this, however. if you are new to war gaming, this is a pretty complex game to be starting with.

good luck, and ask ANY questions in here and they shall be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
Also, one other question: what's the generally agreed upon way to play this solitaire? I realize it's not the /most/ solitaire-able game due to hidden info, but I need to play by myself at least once before I ask to play with someone

To learn it play the scenarios the intro one shows you a single operation and can be done "solitaire pretty well, the others though not solitaire games, because things are "fixed as to reinforcements, objectives etc. you can usually use these as additional sequence learning encounters. You get he full turn sequence, the concept of seasons a little bit and how several operations in a row feel and such. After tinkering you really need to try the campaign game as that is where the feel of the Vietnam War really comes through.
I hope you enjoy it, don't get frustrated with the rules, since this sounds like your first "war game" you have a lot to grasp on top of the rules. However if you play things that cause strategic thinking (Building games do that a lot) you might be able to draw corollaries to war games.
Enjoy! (Oh and check out the Vassal module if Space becomes a problem, it's pretty good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to one of the best wargames ever published.
First, the regulars on this forum (not me) know a LOT about the game and have played a lot of campaign games.
Second, two articles here from the Victory Insider, "Finding the Tunnel's Light" and "Hunting the Vietcong" give a LOT of examples about the meat of the game - Search and Destroy operations, and the Seasonal Interphase. Those two articles helped me learn the game.
Third, get the VASSAL module. It allows you to set up and save games with little "real" space. Also it does some of the calculations for you in combat and even the pacification rolls...helps a lot.
I'm a solitaire gamer too, and this game plays pretty well solitaire (if you have a modicum of ability to have two personalities inside you). Just having the VC try to stick to cultivated hexes and do your best as the US to get them out. It won't be the BEST campaign game you've played...but it will teach you the game.
Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Should be giving it my first play on the 4th of July! (Kind of ironic/apropos?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brian, solitaire is good for learning the rules but you'll really need to start up a game with someone to get good at it. Fortunately, Vassal makes it pretty easy to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add to read through some of the reports in the Sessions forum. I learned a lot by reading Petri's solitaire (Lone Search for Charlie) and then Randy's battle with Mark (New Campaign) as a great head to head example.

I've read them all, but that takes some time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Owens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not also be terribly intimidated. Not having a lot of wargame experience means that you don't have to 'unlearn' some things.
I think the rules actually explain everything very nicely.

As for learning solitaire, I do recommend playing "Operation Starlite" solitaire following along with the rule book...and then playing it out yourself. It's quite small but the example shows you things to consider and then when you play it over you'll start remembering some of these considerations. I would move on to playing "First Volley" which becomes a bit more involved but not terribly involved. It does put "Charlie" in the attacking role here but both sides can attack and defend. The scenario gives you a feel for the terrain in the North. I might consider playing the scenario that has "ARVN Operation in the Delta". This scenario will give you a better feel for the ARVN used in larger numbers while also giving you some experience down in the Mekong Delta which can be rugged and difficult to trap NLF forces without riverine and airmobile points.

As has been suggested, just crack into the campaign at some point where you feel more comfortable. In particular, you're going to want to experiment with probably the first two seasons. I know my first solitaire campaign setup proved internally embarassing. I built a force of ARVN up with a couple of divisions, some upgraded, and a host of the non-divisional units, most upgraded, and then setup.
When I went to set up the NLF it seemed so much simpler and I noted I had some capitols vacant and occupied them. With my NLF hat on I thought it seemed important but I hadn't twigged to how important it might be. After two seasons rooting out the NLF and population sliding away from the Free World Alliance, I decided I needed to change that initial setup.
Your mileage might vary according to the goals you set, but it's a fun exercise. Note that one of the contributors here produced a nice PDF graphic for tracking the population in the various provinces. That's important for knowing where and how to exert one's efforts, even from the very start of the campaign.
Enjoy and let us know how it's going.
This forum and the one on Consimworld have a great bunch of players who're willing to help you out on questions of technical, tactical, operational, or strategic matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great info Mark! I will report back. I might have to interrupt my campaign of Liberty or Death to get this to the table, I'm just too eager to get started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.