Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Baney
United States
Wrightwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused by the wording in the rulebook. It is stated that units can only attack once per turn, and can only be attacked once per turn. So if I have two units adjacent to an enemy, do I only attack with one unit, or both? And if both, is this a combined attack, or two separate attacks?

Thanks so much!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sebaney wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the wording in the rulebook. It is stated that units can only attack once per turn, and can only be attacked once per turn. So if I have two units adjacent to an enemy, do I only attack with one unit, or both? And if both, is this a combined attack, or two separate attacks?

If we consider only these 3 units: one combined attack.

And it's also the other way around. If there is one attacker and two defenders, the attacker needs to attack both defenders in one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebaney wrote:

Note that there's no way it could be two separate attacks, because then the enemy target unit would be attacked more than once in that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sebaney wrote:
...units can only attack once per turn, and can only be attacked once per turn.

Right, the idea here being that a player can't have any of their individual units conduct more than a single attack attack during their player turn (e.g. the Russian IX Corps can't first attack the French 2eme Corps and then, after resolving that attack, have IX Corps make a second attack against the French 5eme Corps).

sebaney wrote:
...if I have two units adjacent to an enemy, do I only attack with one unit, or both? And if both, is this a combined attack, or two separate attacks?

You combine the two units into a single combined attack on the enemy unit. You can't resolve the battle as two separate attacks because that violates the prohibition about being attacked more than once per turn.

Now, just to be sure you fully understand all the implications here, let's assume the situation you describe is reversed, that you have one of your units adjacent to two enemy units. Your single unit is required to attack both those enemy units together in a single engagement (because attacking them separately would be a violation of the prohibition about a unit conducting more than one attack in a turn).

Does that clear things up?

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Baney
United States
Wrightwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all so much! That clears things up perfectly. Now my son and I can get back to our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.