Subject: Assembly question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I just received a 2nd hand copy of the 3rd edition and all the models are still in their spurs. (How people do this I do not know! 8 years old!)

I was thinking of putting them together without glue and perhaps gluing later.

My questions are
Do the pins allow for the models to be disassembled?
Or is it a case of them clicking together never to be parted.

And should I bother with glue or not?

You should know I am not really a miniature painting kind of guy so these figures will likely remain unpainted and just be used to play the game.

Many thanks!
Marty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
On paper, they can be seperated when pinned, in practice, they tend to jam in place.

Since you're not painting, the gluing is entirely optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thanks Slev!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to glue them, but my 4th edition minis' parts didn't fit together tight enough to stay together before I glued them (although a few did, and it was hard to get apart after dry fitting before gluing).

If you do glue them, I'd recommend Testor's plastic cement, but use just enough to keep the parts together without having the glue squish out of the contact points when you join them. Also, be careful cutting the models off of the sprues. There are a few small delicate parts that can break if you aren't careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the advice about being careful cutting from the sprues. It's easy to mistake a fine bit of detail for the sprue itself, but it's even easier to snap or snip the fine detail off accidentally, even when you know it's part of the model.

Use some type of clippers/snippers to separate the model from the sprue. Don't twist them apart. It will not go well.

Finally, I agree that there's no need for glue. My 3rd edition models all fit snugly. I don't recall using any glue, and have never had any problems with parts falling off. If you come across a couple of pieces that are loose, glue those, but don't bother gluing the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
martymonster wrote:
all the models are still in their spurs.

To clarify I did get the limited "Cowboys vs Genestealers" edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martymonster wrote:
martymonster wrote:

Zael: "Thank the Emperor, I can still fight in my spurs.....Ya'll."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martymonster wrote:
martymonster wrote:

So Blood Bowl Season 3 was leaked??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I bought a Humbrol small took kit at my local art shop and am snipping away.

So far I have only lost one hand.

A genestealer not my own.

Got into a spaced zone a went a little too fast.
Nothing that some glue won't fix!

Is Space Hulk some kind of gateway drug?
Cutting these models from their sprues is strangely satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
martymonster wrote:

Consider that I had never painted nor assembled a mini before buying Space Hulk. Now I have a drawer full of empty miniatures blisters next to my painting station.

And Space Hulk still sits unpainted shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martymonster wrote:

It was for me. I always loved board games, but growing up, it was the typical department store variety of games like Stratego, Clue, etc.

When I was first introduced to Space Hulk in the mid 90s, I was amazed that a game could look so amazing and have such a different set of rules than what I had grown up with in all those typical board games. I bought Space Hulk 2nd edition around 1999 (still haven't painted all of the models in that one, either), and now I own 1st edition, the original Deathwing expansion, 2nd edition, 4th edition, lots of extra Blood Angel models from 1st edition, almost all of the White Dwarf issues that have SH related stuff, and lots of paints and model tools.

I'm also now fairly addicted to GW games in general and have Blood Bowl, Assassinorum, and have finally given into my urge to play 40k now that 8th edition has been released.

So yeah, I'd say it's kind of a gateway drug, for me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I better get out now while I still can!

Anyone want to buy an almost mint 3rd edition Space Hulk?

All tiles and cards punched.

All models still in their sprues except for 10 genestealers and 5 doors removed and assembled by an experienced modeller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
martymonster wrote:

Yup! You're ours now!

Soon, ypoull be painting.

In a year or two, you'll wake up suddenly, surrounded by 6000 points of beautifully painted 40k models, wondering when you last fed your cat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
martymonster wrote:

Yup! You're ours now!

In a year or two, you'll wake up suddenly, surrounded by 6000 points of beautifully painted 40k models, wondering when you last fed your cat...

That's an easy one, the cat gets one can of food for every 10 Space Marines he base coats with his tail. Sure it's messy but gotta get the help where I can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Slev wrote:
martymonster wrote:

Yup! You're ours now!

That's an easy one, the cat gets one can of food for every 10 Space Marines he base coats with his tail. Sure it's messy but gotta get the help where I can!

Ooh, maybe that's what I need to do to help me get through my huge line up of minis I need to paint. It's not like the cat is really busy with other stuff, although every now and then he does just suddenly bolt out of the room like he just remembered something he was supposed to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Monster
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
All done!

There's sprues loose aboot this hoose!

I do have a few casualties of war that need gluing. The aforementioned Genestealer hand, one Marine arm pin that snapped off when assembling and a tiny little chain holding a skull that snapped when I was cutting something else.

And my wife sliced her hand trying to get an old bottle of glue unclogged!

Now that I'm finished I'll add my two cents for anyone reading this in the future...

This little kit is what I used.
https://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/miscellaneous/10180-humbrol...

Apart from the sprue cutter which people advised I needed, I don't think I could have done it without the file. From a purely functionally point of view some of the assembly pins needed a little filing to put together and lots of the models needed the sprues on their bases filing down to make them stand flat.

Be patient! Don't plan a Space Hulk session until a few days after you get it home. It really helped doing this in short sessions over the weekend.

And finally, do the Space Marines last and give yourself some time. They are definitely the hardest by far. I have gluing to do on 1 out of 22 Genestealers and 2 out of 12 Space Marines.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. Nice talking to you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.