Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Are you also annoyed by the Runewars Miniature game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this out of the way - I have nothing against Runewars miniature game, it looks great and I am sure it is loads of fun. But I hate the name, everybody just calls it Runewars, I love Runewars, don't have Runewars miniature game (aka Runewars) and constantly run into misunderstandings because of the silly naming decision by FFG...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Let me get this out of the way - I have nothing against Runewars miniature game, it looks great and I am sure it is loads of fun. But I hate the name, everybody just calls it Runewars, I love Runewars, don't have Runewars miniature game (aka Runewars) and constantly run into misunderstandings because of the silly naming decision by FFG...


Yes. Agreed. Don't like the direction being taken here. But this has been stated in another thread as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
borsook wrote:
Let me get this out of the way - I have nothing against Runewars miniature game, it looks great and I am sure it is loads of fun. But I hate the name, everybody just calls it Runewars, I love Runewars, don't have Runewars miniature game (aka Runewars) and constantly run into misunderstandings because of the silly naming decision by FFG...


Yes. Agreed. Don't like the direction being taken here. But this has been stated in another thread as well.

Oh, I have not seen any discussion about this...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slightly annoyed by it. My family is constantly confused about what I'm talking about when I say "Runewars." However, I've tried hard to come up with a good name for the miniatures game, and I think Runewars Miniatures Game is one of the best names for it. What else would you call it? The name would have to mention runes because that ties it directly to the Runebound universe. As a wargame, you really want to stress that this game is about all-out warfare in Terrinoth, and not just a little skirmish game. Runewars Miniatures Game seems like the perfect match. And people just shorten it to "Runewars" because most of the people getting into that game have no knowledge of this fantastic game.

For me, if I'm in this forum, I'll refer to this game as Runewars and the other as Runewars Miniatures Game. When I'm in the other forum, I'll call that game Runewars and call this one Runewars (boardgame).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croft
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought Rune-Battles would have been far more appropriate.

Just saying...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does't bother me at all. In fact, some people I know who enjoy the miniatures game are now interested in trying the board game. If you say "Runewars" enough people might get curious.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not RuneWarhammerFantasyBattlesWars?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well, "runewars" is a short and catchy name, so I guess they thought "who cares about that old board game, we are never going to re-implement again" and went ahead and gave their A-Product that name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
well, "runewars" is a short and catchy name, so I guess they thought "who cares about that old board game, we are never going to re-implement again" and went ahead and gave their A-Product that name.


On that note, "Rune Age" could have been an option. At least they don't advertise that game on their website anymore, so new people wouldn't get the names confused.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
LX1986 wrote:
well, "runewars" is a short and catchy name, so I guess they thought "who cares about that old board game, we are never going to re-implement again" and went ahead and gave their A-Product that name.


On that note, "Rune Age" could have been an option. At least they don't advertise that game on their website anymore, so new people wouldn't get the names confused.

Too soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Honosbinda wrote:
borsook wrote:
Let me get this out of the way - I have nothing against Runewars miniature game, it looks great and I am sure it is loads of fun. But I hate the name, everybody just calls it Runewars, I love Runewars, don't have Runewars miniature game (aka Runewars) and constantly run into misunderstandings because of the silly naming decision by FFG...


Yes. Agreed. Don't like the direction being taken here. But this has been stated in another thread as well.

Oh, I have not seen any discussion about this...


Yes, it's been brought up before in other threads, but not as dedicated thread on the topic, as this one is.

The other comments were more in relation to the overall annoying habit of FFG to drop their better product lines and make streamlined versions that aren't as compelling, e.g. Battlelore 2, Runewars Miniatures, etc.

Further, my irritation is related to investing heavily in such products (BL2, Runewars, Battles of Westeros) only to have FFG drop the lines and duck another direction without much preamble or warning. As a result, and as I have stated before, I won't invest in any more of their products for the time being, and that includes this Runewars miniature game. I don't think their business plan can or will support maintaining their lines, but rather relies upon wargamers' tendency to 'come hither' to something new so they can reap temporary rewards. In other words, they treat these games as toy lines along the model adopted by Hasbro and Mattel for most of their products (GI Joe and Barbie paying all the other bills).

[edit] And that sort of thing may be unavoidable in the board-gaming business overall, but something about the way FGG handles it is more annoying than other game companies' methods have been/are.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
[edit] And that sort of thing may be unavoidable in the board-gaming business overall, but something about the way FGG handles it is more annoying than other game companies' methods have been/are.

This seems to be more of a symptom of FFG-as-owned-by-Asmodee. Ten years ago if they announced a premier title, the glut of expansions was almost certainly a when and not an if.

Not coincidentally, FFG took a downturn around 2012. Certainly things have been dismal since they virtually discontinued all coffin box games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
However, I've tried hard to come up with a good name for the miniatures game, and I think Runewars Miniatures Game is one of the best names for it. What else would you call it? The name would have to mention runes because that ties it directly to the Runebound universe. As a wargame, you really want to stress that this game is about all-out warfare in Terrinoth, and not just a little skirmish game. Runewars Miniatures Game seems like the perfect match.

Descent is also in the Terrinoth universe and does not have "Rune" in the title.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
If they get orcs and dwarves before we do, our rage will shake the heavens.
Until then, all's good.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
If they get orcs and dwarves before we do, our rage will shake the heavens.
Until then, all's good.


I may get stoned for saying this, but I'd rather see a 2nd edition that has orcs and dwarves in mind from the beginning instead of tacking those two races onto the current version.

And to ruffle even more feathers, I would want the 2nd edition to have rules to use the game as a campaign for Runewars Miniatures Game where you use Runewars Miniatures to play out combat instead of the combat included in the game. Just a pipe dream, though. Trying to fit that campaign into a standalone game would probably be very difficulty to pull off well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
However, I've tried hard to come up with a good name for the miniatures game, and I think Runewars Miniatures Game is one of the best names for it. What else would you call it? The name would have to mention runes because that ties it directly to the Runebound universe. As a wargame, you really want to stress that this game is about all-out warfare in Terrinoth, and not just a little skirmish game. Runewars Miniatures Game seems like the perfect match.

Descent is also in the Terrinoth universe and does not have "Rune" in the title.

Even more than that:
Terrinoth games are:
1. Rune Age
2. Runebound
3. Runewars
4. Descent
5. Batllelore
6. DungeonQuest.
7. Runewars Miniature Game.

So before the latest addition it was 50-50, so not having "rune" in the name wouldn't be a problem and I think the number of possibilities is still big even if they wanted to have "rune" there...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, but Dungeonquest and BattleLore 2e were reimplementations of games that already existed, but were not originally set in Terrinoth. As such, they chose to use the names of the original games, which is why "rune" is not in the name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
If they get orcs and dwarves before we do, our rage will shake the heavens.
Until then, all's good.


I may get stoned for saying this, but I'd rather see a 2nd edition that has orcs and dwarves in mind from the beginning instead of tacking those two races onto the current version.

And to ruffle even more feathers, I would want the 2nd edition to have rules to use the game as a campaign for Runewars Miniatures Game where you use Runewars Miniatures to play out combat instead of the combat included in the game. Just a pipe dream, though. Trying to fit that campaign into a standalone game would probably be very difficulty to pull off well.

Well, while I personally don't think the game NEEDS a 2e (or Dwarves or Orcs, as cool as they would be), I'd be more open to that.

However, if they tried to market it as a campaign mode for the minis game, that would probably be a turn-off for me. I'm not necessarily opposed to a campaign for the minis game (though I'll never buy it, as I have no interest in that game), but I would prefer any campaign rules to be limited to the minis game, and not have the board game changed in a way to accommodate the minis game, even if just "optionally" (because inevitably it would be a pretty major change to the system overall if they wanted a way to balance the "minis game" vs "non minis game" combat).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Anduin wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
However, I've tried hard to come up with a good name for the miniatures game, and I think Runewars Miniatures Game is one of the best names for it. What else would you call it? The name would have to mention runes because that ties it directly to the Runebound universe. As a wargame, you really want to stress that this game is about all-out warfare in Terrinoth, and not just a little skirmish game. Runewars Miniatures Game seems like the perfect match.

Descent is also in the Terrinoth universe and does not have "Rune" in the title.

Even more than that:
Terrinoth games are:
1. Rune Age
2. Runebound
3. Runewars
4. Descent
5. Batllelore
6. DungeonQuest.
7. Runewars Miniature Game.

So before the latest addition it was 50-50, so not having "rune" in the name wouldn't be a problem and I think the number of possibilities is still big even if they wanted to have "rune" there...


What about Diskwars or Battlemist? I don't know much about either game but I thought they shared the same universe.

Also, since many of my games are packed up at the moment, when was "Terrinoth" first named? Was it Runewars? I'm pretty sure nothing in Runebound 1st or 2nd editions named it but it could have been named in an expansion I'm not aware of.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Budgernaut wrote:
I may get stoned for saying this, but I'd rather see a 2nd edition that has orcs and dwarves in mind from the beginning instead of tacking those two races onto the current version.

Tacking stuff on is sort of how FFGs expansions work, and we lap that stuff up like Kool-Aid. I see no problem here.

Quote:
And to ruffle even more feathers, I would want the 2nd edition to have rules to use the game as a campaign for Runewars Miniatures Game where you use Runewars Miniatures to play out combat instead of the combat included in the game. Just a pipe dream, though. Trying to fit that campaign into a standalone game would probably be very difficulty to pull off well.

No thanks. As a comparison, Mighty Empires is certainly an excellent source of City/Fortress/Village plastic to pretty up Runewars, and it may even have been a decent campaign system for Warhammer (don't know, never used as), but as a standalone game it was rather meh.

(Besides, the point of strategic army movement is to never get in a fair fight. This makes 2-game campaign systems like this somewhat problematic, because the miniatures game portion is sort of rendered moot. Unless the implications of the strategy layer are so defanged to be moot themselves. Either way, something has to give.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
What about Diskwars or Battlemist? I don't know much about either game but I thought they shared the same universe.

They did, although Runewars is essentially "Battlemist v2", and Diskwars used the term "Menarra" (I don't remember if Battlemist did as well).

Quote:
Also, since many of my games are packed up at the moment, when was "Terrinoth" first named? Was it Runewars? I'm pretty sure nothing in Runebound 1st or 2nd editions named it but it could have been named in an expansion I'm not aware of.

Hmm, that's a good question. I know that Runebound 2E's "Frozen Wastes" expansion uses the name, which pre-dates Runewars by a couple years at least. I'll have to look to see if Isle of Dread or Sands of Al-Kalim reference it.

I think it was later clarified that "Terrinoth" is the continent, and "Menarra" (which is referenced in Diskwars) is the World. (The land of Zenaga is a separate continent from Terrinoth, if I recall).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
I may get stoned for saying this, but I'd rather see a 2nd edition that has orcs and dwarves in mind from the beginning instead of tacking those two races onto the current version.

Tacking stuff on is sort of how FFGs expansions work, and we lap that stuff up like Kool-Aid. I see no problem here.

The trouble is how influence and tactics work on the faction sheets. There is no way to add two new races without making that feel utterly clunky, in my opinion.

Weltenreiter wrote:
[q="Budgernaut"]
Quote:
And to ruffle even more feathers, I would want the 2nd edition to have rules to use the game as a campaign for Runewars Miniatures Game where you use Runewars Miniatures to play out combat instead of the combat included in the game. Just a pipe dream, though. Trying to fit that campaign into a standalone game would probably be very difficulty to pull off well.

No thanks. As a comparison, Mighty Empires is certainly an excellent source of City/Fortress/Village plastic to pretty up Runewars, and it may even have been a decent campaign system for Warhammer (don't know, never used as), but as a standalone game it was rather meh.

(Besides, the point of strategic army movement is to never get in a fair fight. This makes 2-game campaign systems like this somewhat problematic, because the miniatures game portion is sort of rendered moot. Unless the implications of the strategy layer are so defanged to be moot themselves. Either way, something has to give.)

I absolutely agree with you. It would be terribly hard to do well (maybe even impossible), which is why it's just a dream.

But you've got me thinking, what if you created a system for determining relative army strength so that the side with the stronger army automatically won unless the player with the weaker army chose to fight it. Then you wouldn't play needless battles where the winner is a foregone conclusion, but would only play out the battles where there was going to be a good fight.

sigmazero13 wrote:
[q="robertg611"]
Quote:
Also, since many of my games are packed up at the moment, when was "Terrinoth" first named? Was it Runewars? I'm pretty sure nothing in Runebound 1st or 2nd editions named it but it could have been named in an expansion I'm not aware of.

Hmm, that's a good question. I know that Runebound 2E's "Frozen Wastes" expansion uses the name, which pre-dates Runewars by a couple years at least. I'll have to look to see if Isle of Dread or Sands of Al-Kalim reference it.

I think it was later clarified that "Terrinoth" is the continent, and "Menarra" (which is referenced in Diskwars) is the World. (The land of Zenaga is a separate continent from Terrinoth, if I recall).

Interesting. I always had the impression that Terrinoth was only the territory under the influence of the Daqan Lords' baronies and the free cities. I never considered the Aymhelin to be part of Terrinoth, nor the Ru Darklands. Maybe I was mistaken.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
I may get stoned for saying this, but I'd rather see a 2nd edition that has orcs and dwarves in mind from the beginning instead of tacking those two races onto the current version.

Tacking stuff on is sort of how FFGs expansions work, and we lap that stuff up like Kool-Aid. I see no problem here.

The trouble is how influence and tactics work on the faction sheets. There is no way to add two new races without making that feel utterly clunky, in my opinion.

Just make Dwarves 5 influence and 0 tactics (we're obsessed with wealth!) and Orcs 0 influence and 5 tactics (we will pillage efficiently!).

Failing that, just redo all of the numbers and print stickers to cover up the existing starting resources on the original player boards. I prefer the first option myself, but both are viable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
checkedout wrote:
How about this name?

.

Or

RuneWars for short?


Please delete; you're killing readability on mobile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.