Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Yesterday I played my first run-through of Scenario 1, "Manor of Speaking," and really enjoyed it. You have created a fun, challenging, and not-too-complicated WWII solo tactical system that mirrors the confusion and deadliness of combat well (as I understand it and experienced it in an albeit modern form). The chit draws and spotting systems really ratchet up the unpredictability -- Murphy seems to always be close by. And the FID/FRD system cuts down on the plethora of fire modifiers present a number of other tactical games and succeeds as a "nuanced combat system that highlights the numerous subtleties a firefight can have." Well done and thank you.

My first run-through took about 2.5 hours with the referencing and double checking of the rules, but the last three turns (of 9) moved very quickly and I see how the scenarios can easily be played in under an hour once you have the rules down. I did not use the Random Event chit but did use the Long-Range Fire optional rule. Following are a few questions to confirm I was playing things correctly:

1. The Spotting Hazardous Move +1 Modifier is in the rules but I couldn't find it on the reference sheet. I assumed this was a reference sheet oversight and applied it, is this correct?

2. Can a leader attach to a squad moving through his location and continue to the end of the squads movement with the squad without expending AP's for the leader also?

3. Just to confirm, one suppression on an unspent unit still leaves that unit with the capability of using one Action Point?

4. Can you confirm that the only modifier to a combat Morale Check is an unbroken/un-suppressed Leader's if he is present in the same location as a unit that needs to conduct a check? I played it this way since the fire combat system incorporates the cover modifier into the FRD dice roll (again, I like the FID/FRD system a lot!).

4. Just to confirm, you roll the FID/FRD dice separately for the separate organic fire power and MG fire power rolls when a squad with a support weapon fires both at the same target, correct? This is how I did it and it worked great. It makes the MG a much more threatening weapon since it's modifier on the FID reduces the effectiveness of the FRD cover modifier for the target. And you don't want to be caught in the open with an un-suppressed/unbroken enemy MG in a position to fire at you!

5. I played it that a unit firing at long range has to spend 2 AP's to use its 1/2 FP strength. If it uses only 1 AP to fire, in effect it fires at 1/4 FP strength (1/2 FP to start for 1 AP, halved for long-range fire). Is this correct?

6. Along the same vein, opportunity fire at long range is at 1/4 the unit's fire power strength, correct? With the spotting rules, firing long-range opp fire is ill-advised for an un-spotted firing unit.

I very much like the opportunity fire system at 1/2 FP for any unit with line of sight to the moving target as it forces a player to consider movement and cover carefully, which is highly realistic. Advance movement, suppression, and smoke also have to be used to mitigate the opp fire threat.

Thanks again Jason, I look forward to exploring this system in the weeks to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, I appreciate your feedback, and i'm glad you like the FID/FRD mechanic, it is definitely one of my favorite things about this game.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, this is correct.
2. No. Did you see this stated otherwise?
3. Yes.
4. Yes. Admittedly, the rules are a bit vague in this respect. Rallying entails many more modifiers.
4. Yes, this is correct.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also remind you to periodically check the errata thread as updates and changes surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JASONMKRUSE wrote:

2. No. Did you see this stated otherwise?

Jason, thanks for the quick response. As for question No. 2, no, I did not read it in the rules; it must have seeped into my thoughts from the mechanism(s) of some of the other numerous WWII tactical systems I own and/or played.

I replayed Scenario 1 yesterday and one airborne squad (reduced to FP 3) made it across the bridge at the end of the second to last turn, but was then wiped out at the start of the last turn when I drew the German Fire chit second! The first chit was the German Rally chit which allowed the broken and reduced (2 FP) German squad to rally and fire before the Americans had a chance to do anything. Very exciting!

Hopefully I will be able to play the second scenario today.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could not find the rulebook to download to get an overview....the question I have are what random events are possible and do the implement on dice roll numbers? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked again and couldn't find the rulebook for download either -- I thought I had downloaded it before ordering but maybe not. The random events range from sniper attack, to free move or fire actions, random break of a unit, hero generation, air strike, and so on. You roll 3D6 on a table to determine what event occurs; 18 different events.

If you are interested in learning more about how the system plays take a look at a play-through (if you haven't already) here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/149173/apl-scenario-3-exa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,
Thanks...have a Dr.s appt later this PM..will give it a read then...first glance...IMO....one would get a better grasp of the playthru if the game or rules are in hand...Kinda vacillating on this one...Am I right to assume no armor popping up n the game?
Thanks again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,
Correct, no armor in the game. At this point it is strictly an infantry fight primarily with infantry weapons such as MGs, light mortars, demo charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,
Appreciate your help...can't find many reviews on the game.your thoughts,or anyone elses on the playability and enjoyment level will be most welcomed...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Go here for a pretty in depth review.
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20195.msg544741#...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vacce,
IPad will not let me open...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can open it on my iPad....

Try this link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e4D_mf1QLc0&feature=youtu.be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vance,
Thanks...just touched base with Jason..zips and boxes are all gone...At my age,I don't have the acumen and expertise to put together and mount counters...was hoping I could score a fully set up game...I'm going to have to,most sadly,take a pass..
Thanks to all for your help and most gracious responses..
The very best to all,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.