Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone willing to help design a 2p custom scenario for a tournament? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello MvM fanatics.

I'm looking to run a MvM tournament at a local con. I wanted to run the same scenario for multiple 2 player groups (don't think we'll have enough people to run 4-player groups), but I'm having trouble coming up with an idea for a scenario that might work.

Right now I'm thinking of having them move the bomb across 3 boards trying to hit specific repair pads. We'd score the groups based on how many targets they hit, followed by how many rounds it took them, followed by how many minions they killed in the process.

I'm a little worried they'll get overwhelmed by the minions, though. I'm open to completely different ideas, or suggestions to tweak what I have to make it work.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would vote for mission 2. score them on winning the mission, and total minion kills as a tie breaker.

creates interesting tension. you could just keep killing minions, but the chance you will be overrun goes up as you take longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll try finishing a custom level (I've had stored for a while now) this saterday. If even only the short version (as in, less fiction, more action... game will be just as long, but on less pages)
It feels a bit like scenario 2, but with a timer. (only a certain amount of turns)
I've tested it solo, while playing 2 mechs and it works with that amount of players (also solo tested with 3 mechs and played with others with 4 mechs)
Should be a bit more difficult then most scenario's, but very much doable.
I'll write here again, when I posted it.

Maybe it's more of what you look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ola Todd,

I like how you think And love to see a MvsM tournament happen.

There are some different play-types you could use for it.
PvP or Team vs Team
Scoring a whole game with 2,3 or 4 player teams.
Have 1 player accomplice a mission in the shortest amount of time.
make a "RoboRally" kind of Race (I'm actually already working on that one)
Let people solve puzzles and track the time they need.

I'd love to have a chat and see what we can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco van Barneveld wrote:
Ola Todd,

I like how you think And love to see a MvsM tournament happen.

There are some different play-types you could use for it.
PvP or Team vs Team
Scoring a whole game with 2,3 or 4 player teams.
Have 1 player accomplice a mission in the shortest amount of time.
make a "RoboRally" kind of Race (I'm actually already working on that one)
Let people solve puzzles and track the time they need.

I'd love to have a chat and see what we can come up with.

All of these sound like fun ideas!

Based on the con setting, I'd like to keep the pairs idea so people can get to know each other. I think we'll pair them off randomly. PvP would be cool, but I'm not sure whether or not we'll have enough people to make it work. I feel like if we keep it goal-based, that gives us more flexibility based on number of signups... but I'm not sure.

I love the robo-rally idea, and that's another angle I've been considering... or some kind of capture-the-flag version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Brown
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is to do a PvP elimination by using two of the rune coins on the doom track to track health. Then one player would use the minion kill track and the other would use the rune track (or make a copy of the minion track and print it out) then when you kill 5 minions you go up a health (max at starting health) but have to balance between designing your programming to kill minions to increase health & stay in the game, eliminating minions so they are not hurting you, and/or to hit your opponent with overwhelming force to eliminate them. Last person standing wins.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceBrown wrote:
My thought is to do a PvP elimination by using two of the rune coins on the doom track to track health. Then one player would use the minion kill track and the other would use the rune track (or make a copy of the minion track and print it out) then when you kill 5 minions you go up a health (max at starting health) but have to balance between designing your programming to kill minions to increase health & stay in the game, eliminating minions so they are not hurting you, and/or to hit your opponent with overwhelming force to eliminate them. Last person standing wins.

Thoughts?

It's a VERY interesting idea. How would you handle the draft? Just let them alternate? Maybe 5 cards and draft 1 each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Brown
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the part that was hanging me up. Maybe:

-Initial draft - deal 4 cards to each person, pick one (secret choice), and then pass the hand to the other person, from those select one card, discard all remaining cards. This would allow you to select one card in secret while also having to balance what you are giving to your opponent.

-All other Drafts - Whoever is lower in health gets to select on from a regular style 5 card MvM draft. If a tie is present for health, do an initial style draft but only deal 3 to each player, and then you can only play/slot a single card

This is off the top of my head, feel free to disregard, but I think it might work and assist with balancing out if someone is too powerful or if you have too much damage from minions and being able to recover your command line.

I see this all as only taking damage on the damage track from the other mech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.