Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players: 4

Three players are somewhat boardgame experienced (though no hardcore gamers), one player is somewhat new to board games (past Monopoly or such).

I've read through the rulebook beforehand, so I roughly knew the game, but I didn't learn it all by heart.

At first I described the story background and then explained most of the game. The explanation took a while, as (I guess this is normal for worker placement games) people have to know beforehand well enough what action results in what and is performed how, to be able to decide on what to do.

After an explanation, the entire game lated about 150 minutes, while at first the usual "I don't know, let me check the rulebook" situations came up, while later the game went more fluent.

Turn 1

Setup: Players choose their leaders and rooms, and construct a first room. Some do it rather randomly, others have a rough idea what might make sense. I choose to build and man a room that allows me to build and man rooms more cheaply in future. I simply chose the oldest hero I got, as this allowed me to go first, to show other players how the movement and actions work.
Dawn: The first event is revealed: robbers are prowling the fair, reducing the number of microchips you could find there.
Day: I first get some ammo to demotivate people from trying to steal my stuff, and also some seaweed to reduce the radiation level of my people. Next I go hunting to get some meat and improve my hunting skills, and finally I scrounge up some metal in the mine. The other players spread out over the area, gathering water, and canned food, wood and microchips and so on. Once a player steals a resource from another.
Night: players are either not capable or not willing to scare away the robbers, as you'd have to spend not only microchips but also ammo which would invite others to steal your stuff. Most players build and man rooms that allow them to get more equipment, I go for a room that allows me to always have a space at the container ship and get more goods there, as I supposed that this would ensure an income of food and survivors.

Turn 2
Dawn: a new event is revealed, a radioactive cloud appeared increasing the radiation level for everybody.
Day: There is not that much stealing happening now. Again, people spread out over the city, and basically stock up on that stuff they were missing last turn. I screwed up and have no hero in reach of the container ship, so building and manning that room was a waste. :/
Night: finally somebody scares away the robbers from the fair. People start repairing equipment. I screw up again and confuse the symbols on an equipment card, so I have the wrong resources and can't repair it. The radiation level starts to get dangerous for two of the players, as they didn't have enough survivors in the airlock.

Turn 3:
Dawn:
a new event results in fewer resources for everybody. Thankfully the robbers are gone, otherwise there'd have been nearly no microchips available as the scarcity and robbers would take nearly all of those.
Day: I make sure to get on the containership this time to make use of the bonus resources. Once or twice some people steal stuff from others, but not too much, and those who defend are most often having enough ammo to defend themselves.
Night: no events are solved, the radiation level increases again for some people. I finally repair some equipment, that improves my hunting skills, and also build and man the room that allows me to get more equipment and repair it more cheaply.

Turn 4:
Dawn:
the new event kills off a survivor of each player.
Day: the struggle continues, mostly for survivors, microchips, food and seaweed. Both the amount of commodities people require to feed their people increases, as the amount of materials needed to repair more equipment and solve events.
Night: more rooms. I didn't succeed in finding enough commodities, so I can't recruit new people. Since building rooms is cheap for me, I keep doing that regardless. The radiation cloud vanishes. I construct a room that allows me to tear empty cupboards apart for wood and metal. People start using grenades to kill stronger animals.

Turn 5
Dawn:
animals provide less meat now.
Day: Not that much stealing going on. People are busy trying to keep their population alive. Two of my heroes search the cities. I find resources, survivors, ammo and empty cupboards (which normally mean you find nothing, but thanks to my newest bunker room mean more materials).
Night: more events get solved, people die in several bunkers due to radiation

Turn 6
Dawn:
animals are now harder to kill.
Day: not much going on, people try mostly to find more commmodities to attract more survivors to man their rooms which increases the score.
Night: events get solved, players recruit survivors for the rooms and repair equipment to get pairs of matching equipment types for bonus score.

Game End
Scores: 39, 15, 10, 6

Due to several mistakes I made, I only end up with ten points. The player who has lost most people due to radiation ends up with six points. The players who solved events end up with the higher score.

Verdict:
the game took quite a while, but mostly due to us playing it at the first time. We had a Fallout soundtrack running in the background, for the mood. We had a lot of fun, a lot of laughter was going on. Black humor helped too, regarding, for example, the fact that you can't withdraw or reassign people you once put into a room (which sounds like after you lure them in with food and water, you lock them up in you bunker). All in all, the players were bothering each other less than we expected. I guess that might change as you get more experienced with the game though. And I guess it also depends on the amount of ammo you have. If you have a lot of ammo, you can defend yourself against other players, so you can move out your small guys first without losing resources (but ammo), and then you have the big guys left to steal resourcse from other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up!

With the number of rooms you were building I was surprised that you only scored ten points. It sounds as though you were using the powers of each room (for example, the empty cupboard scavenging), which would mean that each room was full of people. And each survivor is worth a point at the end of the game.

I counted four rooms you built and used:
Cheap to Build Rooms
Guaranteed Cargo Ship Space
Cheap Equipment Repair
Empty Cupboard Scavenging

Wouldn't that give you 4 points for the rooms and at least 12 points for the survivors in them? As I understood the rules you can't use the power of a room unless it's full of survivors.

Or have I been playing it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

Well, I didn't manage to solve any events, I only repaired three pieces of equipment with just one matching set, and I got (same as two other players) due to the long lasting radiation cloud a whooping -11 points. I might have also had 11 or 12 points, but not more.

I just made a lot of mistakes. I thought, until the second to last turn, that any room built room increases my score, instead of just those that are fully staffed. Well, and I screwed up once with the equipment repair and building the wrong room or having my heroes at the wrong place.

But it was fun nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
ApolloRa Games
badge
Triangulated Review
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
Thanks for the write up!

With the number of rooms you were building I was surprised that you only scored ten points. It sounds as though you were using the powers of each room (for example, the empty cupboard scavenging), which would mean that each room was full of people. And each survivor is worth a point at the end of the game.

I counted four rooms you built and used:
Cheap to Build Rooms
Guaranteed Cargo Ship Space
Cheap Equipment Repair
Empty Cupboard Scavenging

Wouldn't that give you 4 points for the rooms and at least 12 points for the survivors in them? As I understood the rules you can't use the power of a room unless it's full of survivors.

Or have I been playing it wrong?

I was surprised by that score too. I played my first playthrough last week, and our scores were 49, 48, & 47

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe we played something wrong? I don't know. But for example, take the guy with the 5 point score.

Radiation: -11 points
Rooms fully staffed: 4 points
Event solved: 0 points
Matching item sets: 0 points
Items repaired: 2 points
Survivors: 9 points

I guess the main reason was that this radiation cloud lasted for long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Meneghelli
Italy
flag msg tools
Yesterday our first game.. 4 players..

I win with 39 points but other scores were 38,34 and 31.. maybe because I solved all events and the radiation was low for all of us..

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
Orya wrote:
Well, maybe we played something wrong? I don't know. But for example, take the guy with the 5 point score.

Radiation: -11 points
Rooms fully staffed: 4 points
Event solved: 0 points
Matching item sets: 0 points
Items repaired: 2 points
Survivors: 9 points

I guess the main reason was that this radiation cloud lasted for long.

Late to the party on this one, but if you had 4 fully operational rooms, you had to have a minimum of 12 survivors, so there is a miscalculation there somewhere. Did you have 9 extra workers not counting those in the working room? That would them give you an extra 12 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.