Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40456843

The Admin appears to be dropping the hammer on a bank that deals with North Korea. The honeymoon with Xi Jinping is probably over. China plays a huge role in the ability to influence North Korea, given its trade and banking relationships with North Korea. Question is, do you think the U.S. should take a more aggressive, tougher stance, including sanctioning the Chinese entities that aid North Korea, or do you think a softer, more diplomatic approach might win out in the end, in terms of influencing the Chinese to see the dangers of a nuclear armed North Korea?

You are now the President. What is your course of action, that will prevent North Korea from achieving their nuclear ambitions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
The hammer won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

The Admin appears to be dropping the hammer on a bank that deals with North Korea. The honeymoon with Xi Jinping is probably over. China plays a huge role in the ability to influence North Korea, given its trade and banking relationships with North Korea. Question is, do you think the U.S. should take a more aggressive, tougher stance, including sanctioning the Chinese entities that aid North Korea, or do you think a softer, more diplomatic approach might win out in the end, in terms of influencing the Chinese to see the dangers of a nuclear armed North Korea?

You are now the President. What is your course of action, that will prevent North Korea from achieving their nuclear ambitions?

I think a softer, more diplomatic approach would be the right way to go. For instance, the US could forge a long-term trade partnership with a number of Pacific Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

I think a softer, more diplomatic approach would be the right way to go. For instance, the US could forge a long-term trade partnership with a number of Pacific Nations.

That's a good idea. We could call it, oh I don't know, something like the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and invite in a bunch of Asia-Pacific countries who want to be part of a larger economic sphere to enable them to better resist Chinese economic and political pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a sickle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ol' hammer. Nothing beats hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
As nuts as this probably sounds...how about not going the way of GWB and Iraq and enlist the aid and cooperation of other countries, especially those in the region, in dealing with a country in that region?

If that means the group brings the hammer or the carrot, so be it. But do it as a group. If only we had such an international organization!

I know, nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a formal end to the Korean War would be a good start. After that, maybe build a smart phone factory and let the workers keep some of the product? I dunno, I think that engagement and development might work where sanctions haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
It's somewhat amusing that US intelligence can identify & track banks that facilitate transactions related to WMDs, Chinese citizens who create front companies for North Korea, and shipping companies that smuggle high-end goods into North Korea. Amusing because the power of global intelligence agencies to get that granular really makes you wonder about the amount of dirt they have on Trump right now. What horse-trading goes on in the halls of power? "Okay, Donald, we won't release your Russian banking records & relationship with Russian nationals if you agree to turn over your sources in Russia so we can blackmail them into becoming double-agents for our side." That's not so far-fetched, given the circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/05/kim-jong-un-vows-no...

Trumps problem is apparently growing more real each day, and more intense, given their holiday launching of what might be categorized as an ICBM. We flexed our muscles this weekend in an exercise with South Korea, but not sure this is "swaying" or deterring North Korea in any way. In my estimation, this is the most pressing issue that Trump has, as a world leader (whether he wants to be the world leader is the subject of a different thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-no-ambassador-to-s...

Laughs, and nothing like expediting picks, for the hotspots of the world first and foremost. The Bahamas, that 'hotspot of foment and unrest', got the nod first for an ambassador pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Laughs, and nothing like expediting picks, for the hotspots of the world first and foremost. The Bahamas, that 'hotspot of foment and unrest', got the nod first for an ambassador pick.

Given that while Trump hasn't found an ambassador from his cronies, the job is being done temporarily by a professional diplomat, is that altogether a bad thing?

(Yes, I know. He'll ignore the professional, who will thus have no influence. Still not sure the crony would be better.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Given that while Trump hasn't found an ambassador from his cronies, the job is being done temporarily by a professional diplomat, is that altogether a bad thing?

(Yes, I know. He'll ignore the professional, who will thus have no influence. Still not sure the crony would be better.)

Oh, I am sure the temp is more than fine, but Presidents usually like putting their own people in those power positions, and just the fact that he has not done so yet is a telltale sign that he is way behind the eightball here, and has no justification for complaints. Laughs, given his past record on nominations, I have no doubt the temp would be more knowledgeable than his crony selection, so yes, you are right, perhaps we should be hoping he never gets around to nominating someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah hi it's POTUS. I want to offer you a job that I'm going to make hell for you with my fool mouth! Whaddyasay?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.