Hide
19 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gravestorm dragonlich info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
luca santomassimo
msg tools
Someone can explain me how it works? How Mamy tiles he must occupy? And how he can move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:
Someone can explain me how it works? How many tiles he must occupy? And how he can move?

See the diagram in the bottom-right corner of the rulebook on page 7.
Quote:
If a creature with a base larger than one square is on more than
one tile, it counts as being on all the tiles that the base is on. For
example, Gravestorm the Dracolich counts as being on all the blue
tiles. All the green tiles are one tile away from Gravestorm.
Monsters (including Villains) don't move by squares, they move by tile, jumping from bonepile to bonepile. Adjacent tiles are just the four orthogonal ones. It's just adjacent squares that count the 8 surroundings ones, including the diagonals.

From page 11
Quote:
If the tactic requires the Monster to move to a new tile,
place the Monster on the new tile’s bone pile if that square
is empty. Whenever possible, Monsters move from tile to
tile by following the bone pile. If the bone pile square is
occupied, place the Monster anywhere on the tile.
and the FAQ on page 15
Quote:
What do I do when placing a Monster on a tile that has an
occupied bone pile?

You instead place the Monster on any square on that tile.

Is that a sufficient enough answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
Ok... But when the dragon come up, where i need to position it? In the image he take 4 tiles... So nobody can ente in this four tiles because are occupied by the dragon... Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:
Ok... But when the dragon come up, where i need to position it? In the image he take 4 tiles... So nobody can enter in this four tiles because are occupied by the dragon... Right?
I don't recall what the adventure says but I'm pretty sure it'll tell you which tile to put Gravestorm on. I would also make sure that I'd keep him on one tile as much as possible. Why can't heroes enter tiles that the dracolich is on? I don't recall anything about that. Some heroes have to be adjacent to attack so they pretty much MUST be on the same tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
kakashi85sl wrote:
Ok... But when the dragon come up, where i need to position it? In the image he take 4 tiles... So nobody can enter in this four tiles because are occupied by the dragon... Right?
I don't recall what the adventure says but I'm pretty sure it'll tell you which tile to put Gravestorm on. I would also make sure that I'd keep him on one tile as much as possible. Why can't heroes enter tiles that the dracolich is on? I don't recall anything about that. Some heroes have to be adjacent to attack so they pretty much MUST be on the same tile.

Terminology issue here.

When luca says 4 tiles, I suspect he means 4 squares on 1 tile and not 4 of the cardboard tiles.

To answer the question, characters cannot occupy the same square so the heroes cannot enter the 4 squares that Gravestorm occupies.

As a separate point, you can be on a separate tile and still be adjacent if both characters are at the tiles edge.

Edit
Scratch that. Just looked at the rulebook and luca is clearly talking about 4 tiles so the quoted answer is correct in that you can still go on the tile that Grsvestorm is in. You just can't go on the same square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
yes i talk about the rulebook page 7...in the picture the dragonlich is on 4 TILES...not square...infact this is what the rulebook says "If a creature with a base larger than one square is on more than
one tile, it counts as being on all the tiles that the base is on. For
example, Gravestorm the Dracolich counts as being on all the blue
tiles. All the green tiles are one tile away from Gravestorm.
"...so he take 4 tiles not squares...so my question is...where i put him? xD 4 tiles are too much...can i attack? can i move on this 4 tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
The dragonlich is on all four tiles, but he does not occupy the whole of those four tiles, just the squares he is on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
omg i hate this xD i can not understand...he is on 4 tiles but not occupy all tiles...just 4 squares...so if i want to be adiacent to him i need to walk near this 4 squares...right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you understand the difference between tiles and squares? A tile is made up of several squares.

As far as I can remember, there is no rule, on Dracolich or otherwise, that says you can't enter the same TILE as he is on. You can't enter the same SPACES he occupies though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
i know the difference...but if you see the picture and read the rule i ve wrote up, you can understand that the dracolich occupy 4 tiles...not squares...and the rule says you can t enter in the same squares of a monster...BUT...the dracolich takes 4 tiles...not squares...so i can t enter in this 4 tiles XD is so strange this...have you understand what i mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:
i know the difference...but if you see the picture and read the rule i ve wrote up, you can understand that the dracolich occupy 4 tiles...not squares...and the rule says you can t enter in the same squares of a monster...BUT...the dracolich takes 4 tiles...not squares...so i can t enter in this 4 tiles XD is so strange this...have you understand what i mean?

No, why are you saying you can't enter his 4 tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
dude because you can t enter in the same SQUARE of a monster...but the dracolich takes 4 TILES....not squares, so you can t enter in this 4 TILES...omg xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:
dude because you can t enter in the same SQUARE of a monster...but the dracolich takes 4 TILES....not squares, so you can t enter in this 4 TILES...omg xD

Earlier, you were asked if you understood the difference between a tile and a square. You responded you did but based on the above, you clearly don't.

A tile is one single piece of square cardboard with 16 individual squares on it (with one exception which isn't important for this purpose). Squares are each the 16 individual squares on a tile (your characters move from square to square).

At this point, I would suggest you take out the game and set out the Dracolich as well as some tiles in the same manner as shown in the rulebook.
1 Any part of Dracolich being on a tile means that the Dracolich is on that tile regardless of how many squares he takes up on that tile. Now look at the Dracolich you set up. Can you see that he is physically touching 4 different tiles? Those are the 4 tiles that he is on.
2 Now look at the Dracolich again. Do you see which squares he is on? Any square that he isn't on - your characters can move onto that square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think kakashi85sl is imputing a rule about tile occupation, similar to the rule about square occupation, for monsters which are said to occupy tiles. In other words he/she is assuming that the word 'occupies', when assigned to any space (square or tile), implies exclusion. There is of course no such rule. Character movement is obstructed only at the level of squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:

It doesn't block you from entering the entire TILE it occupies, NO monster does this. It only blocks the SQUARES it is in. Again, are you sure you've understood the difference between tiles and squares? And keep your imaginary sky-friends out of this :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's keep this friendly though. Often there are language difficulties which contribute to misunderstandings such as this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca santomassimo
msg tools
ok guys i understood...i think xD so the 4 tiles he occupy are only for the movement ,attack etc...in real he occupy only 4 SQUARES where i can t enter...thx to all and sorry for my bad english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakashi85sl wrote:
ok guys i understood...i think xD so the 4 tiles he occupy are only for the movement ,attack etc...in real he occupy only 4 SQUARES where i can t enter...thx to all and sorry for my bad english

No worries. Things can get frustrating at times.

Glad you are all clear now.

The DnD Game system can be pretty abstract in the rules at times.

Cheers,
~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:
The D&DAGS can be pretty abstract in the rules at times.
VERY abstract I would say. They are taking decades of work, millions of pages of rules+adventures, campaign systems that run for years, and distilling it into a one-hour board game experience.

Glad tiles/squares is all cleared up. I acknowledge that can be very confusing for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.