Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to upload this to BGG but it was declined. I figured people would be curious about the first printing promo and I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, so here she is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark showed it off in one of the previews he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still nice to see it in someone's hand. It's real!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why was it declined? It's a really fine picture! Love the artwork on this card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Declined for being a picture of a single component. I figured the fact that it was being held in my hand and wasn't just a perfect scan of the card would have mitigated that, but GeekMod is a fickle mistress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous card. I feel bad for the people who will buy it after the first printing is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Gorgeous card. I feel bad for the people who will buy it after the first printing is gone.

I feel that way about all mechanically unique promos. :/

I wish every company would stop this bullshit. You're just giving future people who might not even have heard of your game a reason to not buy it.

I have no problem with promos, but make them things that don't affect the game. Alternate art cards, playmats, fancy boxes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
DarthEd wrote:

I feel that way about all mechanically unique promos. :/

I wish every company would stop this bullshit. You're just giving future people who might not even have heard of your game a reason to not buy it.

I have no problem with promos, but make them things that don't affect the game. Alternate art cards, playmats, fancy boxes, etc.

As someone who owns all the mechanically unique content for Marvel Legendary, I 100% agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn about this. On the one hand, I know how annoyed I would be if I got into the game 2 years from now, find out that there were some cool bystanders that I'm missing on and that I might never get at a reasonable price. On the other hand, it's an improvement upon the 3D debacle and it's nice to have promo cards that are accessible to fans worldwide.

The way I see it, whereas the 3D promos discriminated against fans who either could not afford to spend so much money on those boxes of otherwise useless stuff from them or were in countries in which they could not get them, these first printing promos discriminate temporally, against yet-to-be-fans especially.

While the second model is certainly preferable to the first, is it adequate on its own? I see several reasons for and against (notwithstanding the fact that the main rationale from a business standpoint is that it adds a sense of urgency to purchasing Upper Deck products). Let's evaluate the arguments in its favor:

1. It represents a "thank you" to fans who have played this game for a while and are dedicated enough to buy every new expansion in timely fashion.

2. Each printing promo so far has represented a minor addition to the game. They look cool and are fun to use, but you won't use them that often. The odds of getting Wolverine or Magik in a very large stack of bystanders are really slim, so you might not even see them that often. Sure, they're nice to have, but they don't represent some never seen before cards that are bound to radically change the game.

3. They are not that limited. I don't know the numbers, but I think enough copies are printed that they are going to last through 2017 and perhaps even through most of 2018.

Arguments against such first printing promos:

1. Fans who will get into the game later are not going to have them.

2. Fans who don't afford them right now might lose them (mitigated by the third argument mentioned above).

The way I see it, there are more arguments in its favor than against it (although I'm definitely biased and I might have neglected some counterarguments).

What I'd love to see, however, would be some first printing promos that are not bystander, but schemes. On the one hand, this would represent a more unique card, that can and will be used in many games, fundamentally changing the mechanics. On the other hand, schemes are so easy to proxy that you cannot be that annoyed for missing one of them.

Just my 2 cents .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm still annoyed by the promos because of the complication it adds to running the League. I don't know what Jason's plans are, but I'm thinking they'll have to be banned because not all players will have them. Fortunately for me, I don't have to worry about it for a couple seasons at least.

I really love the artwork on this card. IMHO, this is the best Bystander artwork in the game. Upper Deck should assign this artist to do the artwork for multiple heroes in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI just went out of stock of this before I could buy it. If they restock, that'll still be from the first printing and include this promo, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Given that Legendary is one of the top sellers of Upper Deck, they must have printed plenty of copies to last through 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Noir like a month ago and it had the first printing promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

That's good to hear. I ordered Noir with X-Men, and was hoping it would still have the promo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Asmor wrote:

That's good to hear. I ordered Noir with X-Men, and was hoping it would still have the promo...

I, too, just got Noir with X-Men and it did include the promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Zaleski
msg tools
mbmb
Quick question. If this is a bystander, why does it have the symbol for costing 4 recruit points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other cards that take into account the cost of other cards played (for instance, Iron Fist's commons). With the recruitable villains, their cost is their former fight value. With Wounds, it's 0. I think they wanted to show that some bystanders are more valuable than others, and this is why they have different costs. But the main reason is that under certain circumstances you will have to know the cost of a card and this is how you'll know the cost of the bystander cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Asmor wrote:

I've received my games and can confirm that my Noir came with the Promo. So - they're still out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr EB Slugworth wrote:
Quick question. If this is a bystander, why does it have the symbol for costing 4 recruit points?

So Onslaught knows whether he wants them or not.

He does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Well, I'm still annoyed by the promos because of the complication it adds to running the League. I don't know what Jason's plans are, but I'm thinking they'll have to be banned because not all players will have them.

I'm going to allow them for a few reasons.

1) So far we've only gotten bystanders. Wolverine might give someone an extra point and a free investigate. Magik might give you some teleporting attack power. But that's if you manage to draw them from the bystander deck. If you're playing a hero that's draining the bystander deck, you're probably already doing okay.

2) The first printings will likely be around for quite a while. I wouldn't mind if Mark would tell us when one gets reprinted, though. But for now, everyone has them, so it would be kind of ridiculous to tell people not to use them.

3) If next year people really feel like they're missing out, they can proxy a copy into the deck, since we're talking about single cards.

If the promo is ever not a bystander... We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Let's play together! - Legendary DXP
badge
I don't tell people what to do on their turn, I might as well be playing by myself.
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
Well, I'm still annoyed by the promos because of the complication it adds to running the League. I don't know what Jason's plans are, but I'm thinking they'll have to be banned because not all players will have them.

I'm going to allow them for a few reasons.

1) So far we've only gotten bystanders. Wolverine might give someone an extra point and a free investigate. Magik might give you some teleporting attack power. But that's if you manage to draw them from the bystander deck. If you're playing a hero that's draining the bystander deck, you're probably already doing okay.

2) The first printings will likely be around for quite a while. I wouldn't mind if Mark would tell us when one gets reprinted, though. But for now, everyone has them, so it would be kind of ridiculous to tell people not to use them.

3) If next year people really feel like they're missing out, they can proxy a copy into the deck, since we're talking about single cards.

If the promo is ever not a bystander... We'll see.
You can always set up a poll prior to starting a League asking players which promos they have. I mean it's up to whoever is running the league. It goes without saying that Bystander promos shouldn't bar anyone from participating in a league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of leagues, I've actually found the micromanaging of bystanders and wounds to be a major turnoff.

Bystanders, in particular. It's really obnoxious to have a league with e.g. one set that has special bystanders, and then be expected to sort out all the original bystanders AND all the special bystanders just from that set.

It's even worse for me, because I've got over 50 special bystanders at this point and I use them exclusively when I play. I don't even keep the original bystanders in the box, they're in a separate box with other unused cards (HYDRA decks, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Let's play together! - Legendary DXP
badge
I don't tell people what to do on their turn, I might as well be playing by myself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
On the topic of leagues, I've actually found the micromanaging of bystanders and wounds to be a major turnoff.

Bystanders, in particular. It's really obnoxious to have a league with e.g. one set that has special bystanders, and then be expected to sort out all the original bystanders AND all the special bystanders just from that set.

It's even worse for me, because I've got over 50 special bystanders at this point and I use them exclusively when I play. I don't even keep the original bystanders in the box, they're in a separate box with other unused cards (HYDRA decks, etc)
I have to agree with you about constantly sorting the Bystander cards, I would rather just treat all Bystanders as none special Bystanders rather than sort them out. Much easier to manage this way since there are so many Bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, I guess I'm just not as stuck on the concept. It takes me maybe 10 seconds to take out the ones that don't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this card, hadn't cracked my X-Men box yet, so I just decided to look up the promo.

My grip is that I really like these bystander cards and want multiples, gotta keep an eye on eBay to find someone splitting out the singles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.