Subject: Combat Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Last Socratic

Rochester
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like GB2 better than GB1 because of much of the new stuff it adds offers many more possibilities, but it didn't fix the one thing that always frustrated me most with GB1: Combat. Line of Sight out 3 squares is incredibly limiting especially when a lot of the ghosts can move 2 or more spaces whether you hit or miss them. It's a waste of time and resources to team up on lower level ghosts, but that often seems to be necessary with unlucky rolls (which are obnoxiously common). I also think it's ridiculous that Ghostbusters tech is less accurate and has less range than a Super Soaker or Nerf gun (assuming a square is 5'x5'). Here's my house rule:

The Wrangle action described in the Trap Variant is a permanent option for Combat. A Ghostbuster that hits a ghost may either add a stream to a ghost or move it a space so long as the Ghostbuster retains line of sight to wherever the ghost gets moved to. This should nullify some of the affect of how easy it is for the ghost to wander out of line of sight. Furthermore, a Ghostbuster may Combat a ghost more than 3 squares away at a -1 roll modifier per square up to a total of 6 squares away (or three more squares than normal for a max roll modifier of -3). This should allow easy ghosts to be easy and hard ghosts to require the real teamwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IcyDuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree combat is the main thing that needs a fix for this game. The game has so much potential to be great but I feel gets bogged down by the combat mechanic.
I'm actually revamping some rules, mainly combat, completely for my house play using attack/defense dice.

I haven't started using traps rules in any of my plays because I thought combat was tough enough as is, but I really like you're idea of wrangling during combat instead of after. I will probably try and implement this into my new rule set. My rules also give the potential for multiple streams in a single combat, so being able to add streams and wrangle at the same time would be a fun way to tackle it.

Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried just rolling two die? Try to make the odds a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.