United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
A problem with most games are the status counters which are usually placed on top of counters, hiding the unit that's under them. Placing status counters under unit counters has the opposite problem. I've seen some games using transparent or semi-transparent/colored pieces. These should be fairly cheap to manufacture. Or home-made with a laser cutter, using lexan or plastic.

Whenever I can afford a laser cutter, I'll try making some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is an interesting idea but there are some caveats.

If you are not careful with the printing the modifiers will obscure the number they are modifying. That is a big problem, actually. Maybe making them smaller than the counter they are covering would help (although that makes stacking a potential problem).

What happens when a unit counter gets more than one modifier counter?

Anyway, the game is great enough that as long as you can play it, terrific! Thinking outside the box (a little bit, some of us are old and intractable) might help bring more young folks into this wonderful, but old-fashioned hobby. I have tried to find "lightly colored" or "less opaque" clear markers for a while. I am not set up for a laser printer (I would have to move my jig saw and sander).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We need smart paper.

Agreed, this is a marker rich environment, has been from the beginning. As my fingers get less nimble (and I'm a classical pianist), its harder and harder to manage those stacks. And see those numbers.

The transparent Markers are cute, but they are still obscuring data. I like what Conflict of Heroes did, and have smaller status markers that go in the middle of the unit. Unfortunately, they also put the rear defensive values on the front edge of the counter and vice versa.

There's always VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

What happens when a unit counter gets more than one modifier counter?

It'll look like a jumbled mess!
Maybe just colored transparent counters. Blue for IP, Red for cohesion hit, purple for two cohesion. Orange for suppression.

The number modifiers should be memorized, we don't really need them on every counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
We need smart paper.

I theorize that in 10 years or so, it'll be cheap enough to make counters that are actually little monitor screens, and what they display are the current status/values of each unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea. I am betting that TV tabletops will win that war, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.