GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,611 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Introduction

This is my fifth report, this time I am skipping two other attempts at Volkare's Return (Legendary, Thrilling). Here is the history of my reports:

1) Solo Life And Death Wolfhawk Normal (6-6)
2) Solo Krang Volkare's Return (Heroic, Tight)
3) Chronicles of the Fallen Knights I - Goldyx, Volkare's Return (Legendary, Thrilling)
4) Chronicles of the Fallen Knights II - Braevalar, Volkare's Return (Legendary, Thrilling)

I have recorded two more attempts with Tovak and Arythea, but I am not sure they are of interest. They all started well or even really well, but at Day 3 you can get into real troubles if some things do not click together. If there is interest I can post them as well, under the Fallen Knights series.

So this is the fifth attempt at Volkare's Return on the highest difficulty. I still have the same goal of controlling the game more, avoid situations where Volkare can end the game at any time ("gambling territory"). I still feel that in playing solo exploring is the key and it can be a hard decision when to do it and when not to do it.

I really liked playing this game, it was a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy reading the report!

Day 1

Scenario: Volkare's Return (Legendary, Thrilling)
Variants:
- Control over the Offers
- Random Tiles Orientation
Hero: Wolfhawk
Dummy: Arythea (random)

AA-Offer: Intimidate, Dodge and Weave, Ice Bolt
Spell-Offer: Mana Bolt, Chill, Meditation
Unit-Offer: Magic Familiars (White), Guardian Golems (Green), Scouts (Red), Scouts
Source: Blue, Green, White, Black
Hand: Swiftness, Tranquility, Mana Draw, March, Improvisation
Crystals: -

Monastery: Song of Wind

Thoughts:
- At last a game where the orcs on the far side of Volkare's camp are 2 fame and I have 3 fame and 4 fame close by.
- I do have a Swiftness, but am missing Concentration or another Swiftness to kill the Cursed Hags.
- The Orc Stonethrower is a real puzzle, Ice Bolt could be ok.
- Seeing a mage tower and some juicy ruins is surely welcome as well.
- A monastery with Song of Wind is something I have to consider!
- I love Dodge and Weave and see it in the offer, Intimidate I feel I should avoid, although it can be really good.
- The spells are ok, Meditation might be interesting, Mana Bolt as well, it would not hurt to get some offensive power early.
- Scouts in the offer I always like, seems like I have to get them now or never.
- Magic Familiars are too mana intensive, Guardian Golems are really good, but situational.
- I could gamble for a Great Start, but I would most likely go second and loose a full turn, I am not gonna do that.
- Seems I go with Rethink, to give me a better Turn 1 while most likely going first as well.
- Mana Steal would be interesting if I had a good Turn 1 in hand already.
- Planning is already too high and better left for another day.
- So the question is which cards I discard for Rethink, Tranquility is obvious, not planning any strategy that gives me Wound cards on the first turn.
- March I can also spare, since there is much Move in the deck and I have a Swiftness if need be.
- Improvisation or Mana Draw, the first lets me Block the hags, if I need to, but that hardly seems a good play.
- There also is no Red mana in the source to go to the monastery first with it, so I stick to Mana Draw, it could allow me to reset that Black die.

Tactic: Rethink (2), Tranquility, March, Improvisation
Hand: Swiftness, Mana Draw, Concentration, Determination, Rage
Volkare: Mana Steal (3)

Turn 1

Thoughts:
- I got Concentration, but have no Move left to be highly efficient.
- I could use Swiftness to Move, but I would then need all my other cards to defeat the hags, so that is hardly an option.
- I guess four cards to level in the first turn is ok.

Sideways Rage + Sideways Determination: Move 2 (NE)
Challenge Cursed Hags
Powered Concentration (Green Source Die, Swiftness): Ranged Attack 5
Defeat Cursed Hags: Fame +3: 3, Rep +1: 0+

Source: Blue, Red, White, Black

Level Up: Taunt (Discarding Motivation, Dummy discards Invocation) + Dodge and Weave (Replaced by Shield Bash)

Hand: Mana Draw, Dodge and Weave, Crystallize, March, Swift Reflexes

Volkare rests: Green, Hire Guardian Golems (Gain grey token: 1)

Thoughts:
- I like Taunt, it does not help with Siege or Ranged, but can otherwise be really good!
- With Dodge and Weave and Swift Reflexes, I can manage enemy attacks quite good.
- I am pondering how to deal with the Orc Stonethrower, I again have no extremely efficient way and will use many of my cards.

Turn 2

Challenge Orc Stonethrower

Powered Mana Draw (White Source Die): Turn Black Source Die White, Gain two White Token
Powered Dodge and Weave (White Token) + Taunt + March: Reduce Attack by 7
Blocked Orc Stonethrower

Powered Swift Reflexes + Dodge and Weave: Attack 5 (effective 2)
Defeat Orc Stonethrower: Fame +4: 7, Rep +1: +1-

Keep: Crystallize

ALTERNATIVE (not taken):

Powered Mana Draw (White Source Die): Turn Black Source Die White, Gain two White Token
Powered Dodge and Weave (White Token) + Taunt + Powered Swift Reflexes (White Token) + Sideways Crystallize: Reduce Attack by 7, Reduce armor by 1
Blocked Orc Stonethrower

Dodge and Weave: Attack 2 (effective 1)
Defeat Orc Stonethrower: Fame +4: 7, Rep +1: +1-

Keep: March

Source: Blue, Red, White, White

Hand: Crystallize, Tranquility, Promise, Rage, March

Volkare moves N: White (die rerolls Black)

Thoughts:
- Not an optimal turn, but I get rid of the Orc Stonethrower and nearly level again and also reach Rep +1
- I could have levelled with Motivation, but I still took Taunt, since I think it will serve me better overall.
- Ice Bolt would also have allowed my to kill the stonethrower more easily, but again, I wanted Dodge and Weave overall and will not get both.
- I did also not manage to Move anywhere, but I still have many Move cards left in the deck, this is also why I kept Crystallize rather than March.
- Since I did not know the cards I drew up, it was good that I did not Move and can decide now; with Influence cards I will go to the monastery.
- I got Promise, the last White card in the deck; I set the Black die to White since it fit my play, but my hope was to get Promise.
- Luckily the Mana Draw die rolled White as well, since Volkare rolled a White die back to Black.
- I like that Volkare started north and might explore soon, I can use the monastery and then start north as well.

Turn 3

March: Move 2 (SE)

Powered Promise (White Source Die) + Sideways Tranquility + Rep: Influence 6
Gain Song of Wind

Source: Blue, Red, Gold, Black

Hand: Crystallize, Rage, Song of Wind, Tirelessness, Improvisation

Volkare moves N: White (die rerolls Blue), Explore N: 8
Source: Blue, Blue, Red, Black

Thoughts:
- I got a really good movement card and can bring myself into position now.
- Volkare rerolled the Gold die, unfortunately, but it is a price I am willing to pay for having Volkare explore a tile.
- The orcs are not good, but the ruins are insane, I will need Scouts though and start getting to know the two tokens.

Turn 4

Powered Crystallize (Blue Source Die): Gain White Crystal

Improvisation (Tirelessness) + Rep: Influence 4
Hire Scouts

Hand: Rage, Song of Wind, Threaten, Stamina
Crystals: White

Volkare rests: Black

Thoughts:
- I hire Scouts now, since I can and I really do not want to see them go.
- I will still go to the tower and depending on the token I see, I might try to take the tower now or start the next night.
- I can reach the tower with several card combinations, but Song of Wind also makes entering the tower Move 1
- The Red Source Die allows me to power Rage, Stamina is coming up to actually reach the tower, Threaten allows me to enter it.
- With Taunt and the Scouts I can defeat some tokens at least, but most will give me loads of Wound cards.
- In any case, I want to know what I deal with next night and the Scouts I really need to deal with the ruins.

Turn 5

Song of Wind + Stamina: Plains are Move 1, Move 4 (N, NW)
Reveal Sorcerers

Activate Scouts: Reveal Storm Dragon

Hand: Rage, Threaten

Volkare attacks at range: Red (die rerolls Red)

Turn 6

End of Round

Thoughts:
- Sorcerers are not good, without level 3 I would take three Wound cards to the hand and three in the discard pile, that is too much.
- With level three I might have thought about it, but it would probably not be wise as well.
- I could defeat the Sorcerers, but I can do so next night, especially with all the attack reductions I have.
- I use the Scouts to scout the red token pile, a Storm Dragon seems aweful, but then again attack reductions work like a charm against it!
- And it has no nasty resistances I need to circumvent.
- I am not sure if a red token can be placed on a non-core tile, but the chance is low, I would have scouted the dungeon pile otherwise, which is always nice to know.
- I am happy with Day 1, although nothing too crazy happened.
- I got a good skill and card and the Scouts, which is all nice, I am nearly level 3 Volkare gave me another tile already, which is also quite good.

Night 1

Control over the Offers: Discard Intimidate, Discard Chill

AA-Offer: Mountain Lore, Refreshing Walk, Shield Bash
Spell-Offer: Burning Shield, Demolish, Mana Bolt
Unit-Offer: Illusionists (White), Utem Swordsmen (Green), Northern Monks (Red), Peasants, Training
Source: Blue, Red, Red, Gold
Hand: Swift Reflexes, Tranquility, Rage, Concentration, Improvisation

Thoughts:
- I get rid of Intimidate, which I will not take and also Chill, I want to see more cards and Mana Bolt I can get now, if I want to.
- Mountain Lore is a welcome card, although not a high priority, Shield Bash could actually be quite good.
- Demolish is a must have, it does not need Black mana (or night for that matter) to break fortification, which is a must to take the city by day.
- Burning Shield is actually quite good against the Storm Dragon, but so is Disintegrate at night.
- The units are good, I guess the Illusionists will be quite good and are at my reach.
- I will pass on Training and am glad I do not need to go back for it.
- My cards are ok, but not godlike, it is not too easy to best these Sorcerers.
- With Preparation I could do them easily, by taking Dodge and Weave for instance, but that is late and I would rather keep Dodge and Weave.
- I am thinking about taking Mana Search instead, it is early and the source already has one Gold die.
- But no matter what the source shows, I would need all my cards, the crystal and the Scouts to beat the Sorcerers, that is hardly efficient.

Tactic: Preparation (5), Dodge and Weave
Volkare: Midnight Meditation (4)

Turn 1

Volkare moves SE: Green (no die)

Swift Reflexes: Move 2 (N)
Assault Mage Tower: Rep -1: 0+
Reveal Sorcerers

Powered Dodge and Weave (White Crystal) + Taunt + Sideways Tranquility: Reduce Attack by 5, Block 1
Blocked Sorcerers

Dodge and Weave + Powered Rage (Red Source Die): Attack 6
Defeat Sorcerers: Fame +5: 12

Source: Blue, Red, Black, Gold

Level Up: 3-5

Reward: Demolish (Replaced by Expose)

Hand: Concentration, Improvisation, Demolish, Tirelessness, Promise

Thoughts:
- Dodge and Weave allows me to keep the Scouts and the crystal, so it is the card to go with.
- It would be really good against the High Dragon though and also against the Storm Dragon if I need to Block it.
- I choose Demolish, since it is just too good against the city and allows to take it by day.
- Mana Bolt would be good against the High Dragon and is also really good in larger assaults, but I will not be able to take both.
- Burning Shield is situational and I will not take it just for the Storm Dragon.

Turn 2

Powered Improvisation (Red Source Die, Tirelessness) + Promise: Influence 7
Hire Illusionists

Source: Blue, Green, Black, Gold

Hand: Concentration, Demolish, March, Rage, March

Thoughts:
- Volkare is approaching, but I cannot just flee in terror.
- I have the cards and the source is right, so I get my Influence together and fill my second command slot with the Illusionists, a solid unit.
- Lets see what Volkare does, with the cards I drew he might as well keep sitting there and I move to the ruins right away.

Turn 3

Volkare rests: Red, Hire Northern Monks (Gain grey token: 2)

Powered Concentration (Green Source Die, March) + March + Activate Scouts: Move 10 (N, NW, N)
Provoke Orc Skirmishers

Taunt: Reduce first Attack to zero
Assign other Attack to Illusionists

Source: Blue, Red, Black, Gold

Hand: Demolish, Rage, Song of Wind, Mana Draw, Crystallize

Thoughts:
- Volkare stayed at the altar, Blocking off the High Dragon and the altar, although my cards would not let me do either.
- I have so much Move that I can go to the ruins instead, getting some distance to Volkare in the process, it just costs me Concentration.
- That is potentially really bad, since I need a lot of mana in the ruins, especially Red, luckily a Red die comes up, lets see.
- The Move does provoke the Orc Skirmishers, I cannot defeat them, but I can deflect both attacks.

Turn 4

Volkare rests: Red (no unit)

Powered Crystallize (Blue Source Die): Gain Red Crystal

Source: Red, Black, Gold, Gold

Hand: Demolish, Rage, Song of Wind, Mana Draw, Swiftness
Crystals: Red

Thoughts:
- I take a slow turn to use Crystallize, since I will need more mana, for instance, to power Rage.
- I take the Blue die to leave the Red one for next turn, unluckily it rolled Gold.
- I still do not know what the brown token will be, lets see.

Turn 5

Volkare rests: Blue

Enter Brown-Red ruins
Reveal Gargoyle
Reveal Storm Dragon

Scouts gain Wound from Gargoyle
Gain Wound from Gargoyle

Taunt: Reduce Swift Dragon Attack to 3
Gain Wound from Swift Dragon

Disintegrate (Red Source Die, Mana Draw, Black Source Die)
Defeat Storm Dragon: Fame +7: 19, Gargoyle Armor -1

Activate Illusionists: Gain White Crystal
Powered Rage (Red Crystal) + Powered Swiftness (White Crystal): Attack 7 (effective 3)
Defeat Gargoyle: Fame +4: 23

Reward: Bow of Starsdawn + Amulet of Darkness (Discarding Endless Gem Pouch)

Level Up: Refreshing Breeze (Discarding On Her Own, Dummy discards Motivation) + Refreshing Walk (Replaced by Stout Resolve)

Discard Song of Wind

Hand: Wound, Wound, Bow of Starsdawn, Amulet of Darkness, Refreshing Walk

Thoughts:
- That went really well, the Gargoyle is a token I can tank and even distribute a Wound to the Scouts.
- Disintegrate takes care of the Storm Dragon and even reduces the armor of the Gargoyle, so I can kill it, too, using Rage and Swiftness.
- I take two Wound cards and the Scouts get a Wound, but I crack the ruins in one go and get two artifacts.
- I nearly level twice, again I am 1 xp short, annoying.
- The artifacts are awesome, Bow of Starsdawn is a no-brainer, and with stuff like Disintegrate in the deck, I take Amulet of Darkness.
- The Endless Gem Pouch produces even more mana, but I would rather take the ability to cast powered spells at day.
- I was really tempted to take Invocation, since I am also interested in Shield Bash with my setup.
- But this would mean to pass on both healing effects and I should really heal up now, without moving to the glade or the village.

Turn 6

Volkare moves N, N: White (no die)
Retreat NW: Gain two Wound

Amulet of Darkness: Gain Green Token
Powered Refreshing Walk (Green Token): Heal 2
Heal two Wound

Refreshing Breeze: Heal 1, Gain White Crystal
Heal Wound from Scouts

Heal Wound

Hand: Bow of Starsdawn, Wound, Determination, Threaten, Stamina

Thoughts:
- Wow, Volkare is reaching out, did he try to get to those ruins before me?
- These are another two Wound cards, I am sure happy that I have taken all the healing effects!
- I retreat to the glade to fully heal, although it is a bit off.
- I am not sure what I would do to the south and at day the forest is not that hard to cross.
- I will spend another turn here and finally kill those Orc Skirmishers, this will then have been an eight turn night though, not good.

Turn 7

Volkare attacks: Red (die rerolls Blue)
Source: Blue, Black, Gold, Gold
Gain two Wound

Challenge Orc Skirmishers
Bow of Starsdawn (Determination, Threaten): Ranged Attack 4
Defeat Orc Skirmishers: Fame +2: 25, Rep +1: +1-
Bow of Starsdawn: Fame +1: 26

Level Up: 3-6

Heal Wound

Hand: Wound, Wound, Stamina

Turn 8

Volkare rests: Gold

End of Round

Thoughts:
- That he attacks me again is excessive, but well, I risked staying at the glade to Heal and will do so again.
- It will give me mana at the start of the next day as well.
- I now have two Wound cards in my deck, but Refreshing Breeze as well.
- Overall I am happy with the night, I took the tower, gained Demolish and then used Disintegrate and all my crystals and units to do the ruins.
- I got the Bow of Starsdawn, which will be huge for the Volkare assault and the Amulet of Darkness, which will be great I think as well.
- I am level 5 and will hopefully reach level 6 soon, I still want Invocation, lets see what I get.
- I am happy with my units, Scouts are always so good, the Illusionists have already proven their worth and I will likely use their Influence soon.

Day 2

Control over the Offers: Discard Mountain Lore, Discard Burning Shield

AA-Offer: Maximal Effect, Blood of Ancients, Stout Resolve
Spell-Offer: Space Bending, Fireball, Expose
Unit-Offer: Peasants (White), Thugs (Green), Peasants (Red), Utem Guardsmen, Frost Bridge
Source: White, White, Blue, Blue
Hand: Bow of Starsdawn, Wound, Demolish, Improvisation, Tranquility, March

Thoughts:
- I get rid of Mountain Lore and Burning Shield to see more cards, Space Bending is very welcome.
- Maximal Effect and Blood of Ancients are both interesting, but not that vital.
- The unit offer is trash, I would pick up the Utem Guardsmen, but they are not even contested.
- There is no matching mana in the source and I have Demolish and Bow of Starsdawn already.
- But there is a lot of Blue, maybe it is time for the altar and for the High Dragon (with the bow).
- I think I take Mana Steal now, to secure one Blue Die, it is the earliest tactic I would take, too.
- Planning might be good, but it is good on Day 3 as well.
- Now I am pretty stuck here, with Volkare resting last night, but at least I have a Gold Token to start with.

Tactic: Mana Steal (3), Blue Source Die
Volkare: Early Bird (1)

Turn 1

Volkare rests: White, Hire Peasants (Gain grey token: 3)

Gain Gold Token

Powered Improvisation (Gold Token, Tranquility) + March: Move 7 (S, SE)
Refreshing Breeze: Heal 1, Gain White Crystal
Heal Wound

Source: White, White, Blue

Hand: Bow of Starsdawn, Demolish, Crystallize, Promise, Stamina, Amulet of Darkness
Crystals: White, White

Thoughts:
- Volkare snatched Early Bird, that is bad, and then he does not even Move, but at least he does not Attack me, I guess that is good.
- I made the harder part of the journey south and healed the Wound, I decided to do it with Refreshing Breeze, even though I have another in the deck.
- I want to keep the Bow of Starsdawn and Demolish and want to use March to Move.
- With the cards I drew I can reach the altar and do it now!
- Alternatively, if I spend all my mana differently, I can go for Space Bending in the tower and cast Time Bending with the Amulet of Darkness.
- I am not sure what I would use a Time Bending turn on, since the Bow of Starsdawn discards my hand and I am not sure I could even do the altar then.
- I have not that high of a hand limit, I would need to play a Time Bending turn with just one new card, which is not that good.
- I think I pick it up later, if at all, and play this round as it comes up, I can do the altar and the dragon and then go to the tower.

Turn 2

Volkare rests: Green, Hire Thugs (Gain grey token: 4)

Stamina: Move 2 (S)
Enter BBB ruins (Blue Source Die, Blue Mana Steal Die, Amulet of Darkness): Fame +7: 33

Source: White, White, White, Green
Hand: Bow of Starsdawn, Demolish, Crystallize, Promise, Rage, Swiftness

Thoughts:
- That went perfect, although it still pains me a bit to see the Amulet of Darkness go for this day, but I have to take the altar quickly.
- Next turn I will kill the High Dragon and then I hope Volkare gets moving, I will learn a spell otherwise, I guess.

Turn 3

Volkare rests: Black

Challenge High Dragon
Bow of Starsdawn (Crystallize, Promise, Rage) + Powered Swiftness (White Source Die): Ranged Attack 9
Defeat High Dragon: Fame +9: 42, Rep +2: +2-
Bow of Starsdawn: Fame +1: 43

Source: White, White, Green, Green

Level Up: Invocation (Discarding Refreshing Bath and Howl of the Pack, Dummy discards Burning Power) + Stout Resolve (Replaced by Spell Forge)

Hand: Demolish, Stout Resolve, Tirelessness, Swift Reflexes, Concentration, Determination

Thoughts:
- Getting Swiftness saved me the Scouts to kill the High Dragon and the source was White enough already, the reroll is welcome.
- I took Invocation over Howl of the Pack, it was not an easy decision.
- I need to take Stout Resolve for that, which is also a wildcard, I think in the end the deciding factor was that I cannot use howl in Interaction.
- I want a mana effect badly and Stout Resolve will actually be nice later on for hiring, etc.
- Volkare has rested nine times already, only three left in his deck, this feels extremely unlucky with 16 cards left (i.e. half).

Turn 4

Volkare rests: Green (no unit)

Tirelessness: Move 2 (SE)
Activate Illusionists + Sideways Determination + Rep: Influence 7
Gain Expose (White Source Die, Replaced by Tremor)

Source: White, Red, Green, Green

Hand: Demolish, Stout Resolve, Swift Reflexes, Concentration, Expose, Mana Draw

Thoughts:
- Tremor came up, that is huge as well, I will definitely pick that up now.
- I could nearly have done so in the same turn, but there is actually no reason to hurry.
- I am pondering if I should explore much faster, trying to cover a lot of ground Volkare might use, so I get to the elite units faster.
- I have to think about that after the next turn, which I will spend learning spells and I guess Volkare has to Move now.

Turn 5

Volkare moves N: White (die rerolls Blue), Explore N: 6
Source: Blue, Red, Green, Green

Powered Stout Resolve (Green Source Die, Demolish) + Rep: Influence 7
Gain Tremor (Mana Draw, Green Source Die, Replaced by Underground Travel)

Source: Blue, Blue, Red, Green

Hand: Swift Reflexes, Concentration, Expose, Tremor, Rage, Wound

Thoughts:
- It is odd to not pick up Space Bending, but Tremor is insanely good and Expose - especially being White - will be quite useful.
- Volkare explored north, now I have to wait and see if he leaves a gap in the map, or do I?
- The tile he explored is not that good and he might very soon explore the tile close to me.
- Ok, lets figure out what he has in his deck: 2x Wound, 3x Red, 1x White, 2x Green + spell, 4x Blue + spell.
- He does not explore the tile if he moves N/NE twice before moving SE once (or twice if he moved N once).
- That is not terribly unlikely, to be honest, since he still has all Blue cards.
- I decide that I do not wait for this gamble, I would need to Move north to the orcs if I wait this out, so I will go now.
- I have precious cards in my hand and need something to do.
- If I manage to explore up to the core tile in some sensible layout, that would give me access to elite units quite early, which would be nice.

Turn 6

Powered Concentration (Green Source Die, Swift Reflexes): Move 6 (N, Explore NE: 12)
Monastery: Counterattack

Activate Scouts: Move 2 (NE)

Challenge Diggers
Taunt: Reduce Attack to 2
Assign Diggers to Illusionists

Invocation (Wound): Gain Red Token
Powered Rage (Red Token): Attack 4
Defeat Diggers: Fame +2: 45, Rep +1: +2+

Source: Blue, Blue, Red, Green

Hand: Expose, Tremor, Song of Wind, March, Dodge and Weave, Refreshing Walk

Thoughts:
- The tile is good, a second monastery very welcome, a maze is very good, although at the moment too close to Volkare.
- The diggers give me a way to play my Rage and get rid of the Wound, although I could have just healed it in the monastery, but that is slower.
- Without a way to generate Wound cards, I might actually need one for a Red or Black mana next night, too.
- I have a lot of Move left, unfortunately the tile has mountains at the best spot for me to explore.
- Overall the tile is not the best to Move through, with so many hills and walls, Song of Wind does not really help with that.

Turn 7

Volkare moves NE: Blue (die rerolls Black)
Source: Blue, Red, Green, Black

Thoughts:
- I could go through the wasteland around the mountain, or at least try to, with Song of Wind and hoping for plains.
- I could layout a pattern that, if Volkare moves SE at least once, would be safe for a long time.
- The alternative is to just use my Move for the maze and end this day and follow Volkare, that would just mean one more round without elite units.
- The thing is, I can generate Move 10 this turn, with several spaces costing less or nothing to Move through.
- But I need Move 6 alone to explore all tiles and Move 3 for the wasteland, so all highly depends on the first revealed tile and orientation.
- I think this is too high a risk with something good to do, I will follow Volkare instead.
- I might regret having explored this tile though, on the other hand, what would I have done this round otherwise?
- In the maze I can defeat everything with what I have, thanks to Tremor, Expose, Invocation, Taunt and Dodge and Weave.
- If I wait one turn, I can defeat everything without getting a Wound even, since I do not need to Taunt several tokens, but can play Threaten sideways.
- But Volkare might move SE and reroll the Green die, which is vital and I overall do not wish to loose another turn, so I go now.

Powered Song of Wind (White Crystal): Plains are Move 0, Move 2 (N, NW)

Powered Refreshing Walk (Green Source Die) + March: Move 6 (Enter Maze)
Reveal Crypt Worm

Taunt: Increase Attack to 8 and reduce armor to 4
Powered Dodge and Weave (White Crystal): Reduce Attack to 4
Assign Crypt Worm to Illusionists
Gain Wound on Illusionists

Invocation (Tremor): Gain White Token
Expose (White Token) + Dodge and Weave: Attack 4
Defeat Crypt Worm: Fame +5: 50

Reward: Circlet of Proficiency (Discarding Shield of the Fallen Kings)

Level Up: 4-6

Hand: Circlet of Proficiency, Threaten

Thoughts:
- The Crypt Worm was one of the bad three tokens, but at least it was not a Manticore.
- I think I made a mistake while going through all possible tokens, I could not have defeated a Manticore.
- So I use everythig I have, loose two crystals and the Illusionists have a Wound, but I level again and get the Circlet of Proficiency.
- Now I have two command slots open and will get only regular units to fill them, but at least I am near a camp, if Volkare does not block it soon.

Turn 8

Volkare moves NE, NE: Blue (die rerolls White), Explore NE: 14
Source: Red, White, White, Black

End of Round

Thoughts:
- That was a long Day 2, since Volkare went first again, he has played 21 turns, I had 19.
- A lot happened that day, I started wounded in the glade and went south for the altar and the High Dragon.
- I then learned Expose and Tremor and went for some orcs and finally a maze where I got the Circlet of Proficiency.
- Volkare rested a lot, far too much for my taste, he has just one rest card left in his deck of 11, but he has played many spells already, too.
- I can start the new round with hiring two units, since there is a camp nearby and I have good reputation.
- Then there is the next maze and a keep, which is nice, too.
- I will then explore the remaining tiles and see how much time Volkare will give me.
- I have really good cards, what I lack is Ranged or Siege attack, I really need some source for this, maybe I can get some good units.

Night 2

Control over the Offers: -

AA-Offer: Learning, Spell Forge, Maximal Effect
Spell-Offer: Snowstorm, Underground Travel, Space Bending
Unit-Offer: Red Cape Monks (White), Savage Monks (Green), Herbalists (Red), Utem Guardsmen, Heroic Tale, Pure Magic
Source: White, White, Red, Gold
Hand: Circlet of Proficiency, Threaten, Rage, Swiftness, Expose, Demolish

Thoughts:
- I keep Space Bending, I have enough spells already and depending on how this round goes, I might even pick it up.
- I keep Maximal Effect, it is late enough to warrant burning cards for greater effect, later I might burn Swiftness for Ranged Attack 6, etc.
- The units are as good as they get, I need the Savage Monks badly and will probably pick up the Herbalists or Utem Guardsmen.
- Heroic Tale at the monastery might as well be a sign, should I go there for the cheaper hire and the reputation and fame?
- The Wound on the Illusionists suggests to go to the monastery, too, but I do not really have Move.
- But then again, I have no Influence either, I certainly do not want to power Threaten, I rather want more Rep.
- Expose and Demolish want me to go for the keep and then start out from there.
- There is no tactic I absolutely need and I would rather not loose any more turns, so I go first.

Tactic: From the Dusk (1)
Volkare: Midnight Meditation (4)

Turn 1

Thoughts:
- So many options, I could use the Circlet of Proficiency with On Her Own to get Heroic Tale for free, but how would I Move there.
- My starting hand is really not that great, but I cannot take Midnight Meditation and let Volkare go first just to gamble for better cards.

Circlet of Proficiency: Gain Howl of the Pack
Howl of the Pack (Threaten): Move 6 (NE, NE)

Assault Keep: Rep -1: +2-
Reveal Red Heroes

Demolish (Red Source Die): Ignore site fortification
Invocation (Rage): Gain White Token
Powered Swiftness (White Token) + Activate Scouts: Ranged Attack 4
Defeat Red Heroes: Fame +5: 55, Rep -1: +1+

Source: White, White, Blue, Gold

Hand: Expose, Rage, March, Tremor, Improvisation, March, Refreshing Walk

Volkare moves NE: Blue (die rerolls Blue)

Thoughts:
- I ultimately decide to play my cards and go for the keep, it will give me hand limit and allow me to start for the maze.
- I take Howl of the Pack, it gives me enough Move now and with my command slots filled, it will still be a valuable skill.
- I preserve Expose for the maze, although I cannot also preserve the Scouts, since I as unlucky to draw the fire resistant Red Heroes.
- I drew enough Move for the maze, but have not much Green mana, unfortunately, I can hire the Herbalists to help, but would loose Howl of the Pack.

Turn 2

Invocation (Rage): Gain Green Token
Powered Refreshing Walk: Heal 2, Move 4 (NW)
Heal Illusionists

Hand: Expose, March, Tremor, Improvisation, March, Concentration, Determination

Volkare moves SE, SE: Green (no die), Explore SE: 7
Monastery: Fire Bolt

Thoughts:
- I cannot enter the maze this turn, so I just heal and get to the space, I will still draw up to 7 cards.
- I will hire the Herbalists together with the Savage Monks at a monastery later.
- That the Green spell is out of the way, too, is good, but now Volkare can reveal a core tile, but that is ok.
- I would love to explore it myself in the south though, and the city even more to the south, we will see.
- I have to take the maze now and with still no Green mana and no idea what the token will be, I will go for a spell.

Turn 3

March + March: Move 4 (Enter Maze with Illusionists)
Reveal Minotaur
Invocation (Determination): Gain Green Token
Tremor (Green Token): Reduce armor to 2
Expose (White Source Die): Ranged Attack 2
Defeat Minotaur: Fame +4: 59

Reward: Space Bending (Replaced by Call to Arms)

Hand: Improvisation, Concentration, Space Bending, Amulet of Darkness, Song of Wind, Bow of Starsdawn, Stout Resolve

Volkare moves N: White (die rerolls Gold)
Source: White, Blue, Gold, Gold

Thoughts:
- I think it was the right decision to go for a spell instead of another gamble that might just clog up my deck.
- I can use Space Bending right now to jump to the monstery in the south with Move 5 or even make a Time Bending turn.
- Space Bending plus Song of Wind is really interesting and allows me to go virtually everywhere on the map!
- I could also use Snowstorm, to get some good source of Ranged/Siege Attack I still need.
- My focus now is Heroic Tale and hiring the Savage Monks though and I want to explore to the south.
- Volkare was nice enough to Move to the center of his tile, so he is save for the moment.
- The cards in his deck are: 1x Wound, 3x Red, 2x Green, 2x Blue.

Turn 4

Space Bending (Blue Source Die)
Concentration: Gain White Token
Powered Song of Wind (White Token): Plains are Move 0, Move 2 (SW+S, S+SW, SE+S, Explore NE+NE: 10)

Amulet of Darkness: Gain Green Token
Powered Stout Resolve (Green Token, Improvisation): Move 5 (SE-SE, Explore NE-SE: 7, S-SW)

Activate Illusionists + Rep + Sideways Bow of Starsdawn: Influence 6
Gain Heroic Tale

Source: White, Black, Gold, Gold

Hand: Heroic Tale, Promise, Crystallize, Tranquility, Wound, Mana Draw

Thoughts:
- I moved around the walls and explored the first core tile, realising that I cannot jump on the tile anywhere.
- The problem with that is that if Volkare moves, which is a 50/50 chance, I have to explore the city and I will not be able to.
- So I have to find a way to explore it now, to be safe, Volkare will then move with all but one card, but he is more than 7 spaces away.
- I choose to go to the monastery anyway to the south, since it does not cost me Move, with the goal of hiring units and getting reputation.
- The keep would be welcome, it would make an assault to the city easier, but now I am really far off.
- I got the White city again, that is not optimal, but it has a keep after all, I do have enough spells to take it easily, I hope.

Turn 5

Invocation (Tranquility): Gain White Token
Powered Heroic Tale (White Source Die) + Powered Promise (White Token) + Rep: Influence 11
Hire Savage Monks: Fame +1: 60, Rep +1: +2-
Hire Herbalists: Fame +1: 61, Rep +1: +2+

Refreshing Breeze: Gain White Crystal, Heal 1
Heal Wound

Hand: Crystallize, Mana Draw, Tirelessness, Swift Reflexes, Stamina, Dodge and Weave

Volkare moves S: Blue (no die)

Thoughts:
- Loads of options of what I could have done here, including powering Promise as well and using the Herbalists with the Illusionists.
- But I am not sure if Fire Bolt or Pure Magic are the answer to any of my problems, so I decide to keep the Herbalists.
- I do not use Mana Draw, since I know Tirelessness and Stamina are coming up and I really need to get going.

Turn 6

Activate Herbalists: Ready Scouts

Powered Mana Draw (White Source Die): Turn Gold Die Blue, Gain two Blue Token
Powered Tirelessness (Blue Token) + Powered Stamina (Blue Token) + Powered Swift Reflexes (White Crystal): Move 14 (N, NE, SE, NE)
Assault Keep: Rep -1: +2-

Reveal Golems

Assign to Illusionists
Retreat SW

Reveal Delphana Masters
Reveal Altem Mage
Reveal Gunners
Reveal Crossbowmen
Reveal Shocktroops

Source: Red, Blue, Black, Gold

Hand: Crystallize, Dodge and Weave

Volkare moves S: Red (die rerolls Gold)

Turn 7

End of Round

Thoughts:
- The Move adds up in the end, so I can enter the keep and see the city defenders as well.
- But the Golems are one of the worst possible draws, I just cannot generate enough attack.
- With Taunt I get really close, but I am lacking just one point of Attack in the end.
- At least I can deal with their Attack easily and retreat without Wound.

Day 3

AA-Offer: Ambush, Learning, Spell Forge
Spell-Offer: Flame Wave, Call to Arms, Snowstorm
Unit-Offer: Sorcerers (White), Utem Crossbowmen (Green), Amotep Freezers (Red), Thugs, Crystal Mastery, Swift Bolt, Force of Nature
Source: Red, Red, Blue, Blue
Hand: Determination, Refreshing Walk, Expose, Crystallize, Improvisation, Tremor

Thoughts:
- I leave Spell Forge and Snowstorm be, both are not bad.
- No Altem Mages, but some solid units nontheless!
- I need to take that keep and then the city, having Expose and Tremor in hand is nice.
- I take Planning, with the keep I will have hand limit +3 then.

Tactic: Planning (4)
Volkare: Great Start (5)

Turn 1

Refreshing Walk + Activate Scouts: Move 4 (NE)
Assault Keep: Rep -1: +1+

Reveal Golems
Taunt: Increase Attack to 4, Reduce armor to 3
Assign to Scouts, then Illusionist
Scouts gain Wound

Determination + Sideways Improvisation (Howl of the Pack): Attack 6 (effective 3)
Defeat Golems: Fame +4: 65

Powered Crystallize (Blue Source Die): Gain Green Crystal

Source: Red, Red, Blue, Black

Level Up: Motivation (Discarding Deadly Aim and Dueling, Dummy discards Dark Paths) + Spell Forge (Replaced By Into the Heat)

Hand: Expose, Tremor, Spell Forge, Amulet of Darkness, Swift Reflexes, Tirelessness, Rage, Concentration, Promise
Crystals: Green

Volkare moves S: Red (die rerolls Green)
Source: Red, Green, Blue, Black

Thoughts:
- I need crystals this day and next night, so I have to start gaining some and must not squander units that can produce mana.
- I take the keep without paying too much, play all cards besides the two spells, keeping Planning.
- I used Howl of the Pack, if I can just continue to the city, that would be great.
- I want to take Spell Forge anyway, to get more crystals, so I can take any skill of the dummy as well.
- I would take Deadly Aim over Dueling, but I strongly consider Motivation of Arythea, to get more cards and mana, especially next night.
- I draw a lot of good cards for the city, so lets see, I can do all the hiring in the city.

Turn 2

Motivation: Rage, Bow of Starsdawn, Gain Red Token

Tirelessness: Move 2 (SE)
Assault White City: Rep -1: +1-

White City: All tokens armor +1

Amulet of Darkness: Gain Black Token, can use Black mana
Earthquake (Black Token, Green Crystal): All tokens armor -4 (total -3), Shocktroops armor -2 (total -1)

Activate Illusionists: Gain White Crystal
Mass Expose (Black Source Die, White Crystal): All tokens loose fortification, Ranged Attack 3
Defeat Gunners: Fame +7: 72

Activate Herbalists: Gain Green Token
Concentration: Gain White Token
Activate Savage Monks (Green Token) + Powered Swift Reflexes (White Token) + Bow of Starsdawn (Promise, Spell Forge): Ranged Attack 11

Defeat Delphana Masters (armor 5): Fame +9: 81
Defeat Crossbowmen (armor 1): Fame +3: 84
Defeat Shocktroops (armor 5): Fame +3: 87
Bow of Starsdawn: Fame +4: 91

Howl of the Pack + Taunt: Armor of Altem Mage -1 (total -4), Reduce Attack of Altem Mage to 2 (brutal 4)
Gain Wound to hand
Gain Wound to discard
Invocation (Wound): Gain Red Token

Powered Rage (Red Token) + Powered Rage (Red Token): Attack 8 (effective 4)
Defeat Altem Mage: Fame +8: 99

Source: Red, Green, Green, Blue

Level Up: 4-7
Level Up: Know Your Prey (Discarding Hawk Eyes, Dummy Discards Dark Negotiation) + Into the Heat (Replaced by Ritual Attack)

Hand: Into the Heat, March, Song of Wind, Tranquility, Stout Resolve, Threaten, Demolish, Dodge and Weave, Heroic Tale

Volkare moves S: Blue (die rerolls Green)
Source: Red, Green, Green, Green

Thoughts:
- That was a tricky fight, but it all added up in the end!
- My goals were to take it in one turn, to not waste time and get enough xp to level twice, while not getting too many Wound cards.
- I had to spend Spell Forge and have no crystals now, but I think that is worth it, I also did not need to break the Amulet of Darkness.

Turn 3

Invocation (March): Gain White Token
Powered Heroic Tale (White Token) + Rep + City Shields: Influence 12
Add Ice Golems to offer
Add Fire Golems to offer

Powered Stout Resolve (Green Source Die, Demolish, Song of Wind, Into the Heat, Tranquility, Dodge and Weave) + Threaten: Influence 15
Hire Sorcerers: Fame +1: 100, Rep +1: +1+
Hire Fire Golems (Replacing Scouts): Fame +1: 101, Rep +1: +2-
Hire Utem Crossbowmen (Replacing Herbalists): Fame +1: 102, Rep +1: +2+

Source: Red, Green, Green, Black

Hand: Mana Draw, March, Swiftness, Stamina, Space Bending

Volkare moves S: Green (die rerolls Red)
Source: Red, Red, Green, Black

Turn 4

End of Round

Thoughts:
- Stout Resolve was a nice draw, all I wanted to do at that moment was to hire and get to the night, so this was my last turn this day.
- I could hire three units with Ranged Attack, that is really huge, now I have to get a good hand before Volkare reaches me, we will see.
- He has two cards left and one is a Wound, so I will have three turns to prepare, if I go first.

Night 3

AA-Offer: Agility, Ritual Attack, Ambush
Spell-Offer: Whirlwind, Flame Wave, Call to Arms
Unit-Offer: Altem Mages (White), Shocktroops (Green), White Heroes (Red), Herbalists, Chivalry, Ice Shield, Temporal Portal
Source: Blue, Blue, White, Black
Hand: Concentration, Crystallize, Spell Forge, Refreshing Walk, Wound, Determination, Mana Draw, Into the Heat, Rage

Thoughts:
- My goal now is to get a perfect hand and while I wait/discard, either hire something or defeat that dragon.
- That the Altem Mages show up mean I absolutely have to get them, they are insane with the Bow of Starsdawn.
- The White Heroes are also high on the list for their Ranged Attack 7, insane draws!
- I have a lot of Influence just from Rep + City Shields, but unfortunately drew no Influence cards.
- I take the lowest tactic, I must not loose a turn now.

Tactic: Long Night (2)
Volkare: Mana Search (3)

Turn 1

Powered Spell Forge (Blue Source Die, Call to Arms, Flame Wall): Gain White Crystal, Gain Red Crystal
Powered Crystallize (Mana Draw, Blue Source Die): Gain Green Crystal

Heal Wound

Activate Illusionists + Rep + City Shields + 4x Sideways Card: Influence 15
Add Sorcerers to offer
Hire Altem Mages (Replacing Illusionists)

Source: White, Black, Black, Gold

Hand: Into the Heat. Song of Wind, Dodge and Weave, March, Rage, Promise, Stamina, March, Demolish
Crystals: White, White, White, Red, Green

Volkare moves S: Red (no die)

Thoughts:
- I had no problem hiring the mages and I got several crystals, that is good!
- The draw totally sucks though, I got a lot of Move cards and none of those I absolutely want.
- I will have to have more luck next turn.

Turn 2

Powered Promise (White Source Die) + 2x Rep + City Shield + 6x Sideways Card: Influence 19
Hire White Heroes (Replacing Savage Monks)
Hire Sorcerers (Replacing Utem Crossbowmen)

Hand: Into the Heat, Demolish, Tremor, Swiftness, Stout Resolve, Bow of Starsdawn, Tranquility, Heroic Tale, Improvisation

Thoughts:
- I got all the units I could want, I really like what I got now!
- The card draw was really good, too, I now have Tremor, Bow of Starsdawn, Swiftness, etc. in hand.
- I like the Amulet of Darkness though, since I need some mana to power all the stuff, I do not want to resort to using the Altem Mages for mana.
- I will draw one more time and can trigger Motivation as soon as I enter battle, so that is good!
- There are six cards left in my deck, two I draw with Motivation, so I should use Tranquility and then discard three.
- It is really nice I could play two good preparation turns and will definitely see all cards in the deck, so no gambling required.

Turn 3

Tranquility: Space Bending

Discard Heroic Tale, Improvisation, Stout Resolve

Hand: Into the Heat, Demolish, Tremor, Swiftness, Bow of Starsdawn, Space Bending, Threaten, Swift Reflexes, Expose

Volkare attacks the City, I fully attend!

Motivation: Tirelessness, Amulet of Darkness, Gain Red Token

Reveal Wolf Riders
Reveal Prowlers
Reveal Orc War Beasts
Reveal Ironclads
Reveal Orc War Beasts
Reveal Orc Stonethrower

Reveal Swordsmen
Reveal Guardsmen
Reveal Guardsmen
Reveal Thugs

Reveal Ice Catapult
Reveal Gunners

Reveal Dragon Summoner
Reveal Fire Dragon

Amulet of Darkness: Gain Black Token, Gain Green Token, Gain Red Token
Earthquake (Black Token, Green Token): All tokens armor -2, with fortification -4
Mass Expose (Black Source Die, White Crystal): All tokens loose fortification, Ranged Attack 3
Defeat Wolf Riders (2), Defeat Prowlers (1): Fame +5: 107

Powered Into the Heat (Red Token): All unit Attacks +3, cannot assign damage to units

Group Orc Stonethrower, Ironclads and Dragon Summoner
Activate Sorcerers (Green Crystal): Fire Dragon looses alls resistances, Ranged Attack 6 (effective 3)
Activate Fire Golems (Red Token): Ranged Fire Attack 7
Defeat Orc Stonethrower (1) + Defeat Ironclads (1) + Defeat Dragon Summoner (8): Fame +17: 124

Demolish (Red Crystal): All tokens (except Orc War Beasts) armor -1

Activate Sorcerers: Ranged Attack 6
Defeat Guardsmen (2), Defeat Guardsmen (2), Defeat Swordsmen (2): Fame +10: 134

Invocation (Threaten): Gain White Token
Activate White Heroes (White Token): Ranged Attack 10
Defeat Fire Dragon (4), Defeat Gunners (3), Defeat Ice Catapult (1), Defeat Thugs (2): Fame +24: 158, Rep +1: +3

Powered Swift Reflexes (White Crystal) + Powered Swiftness (White Crystal): Ranged Attack 6
Defeat Orc War Beasts (3), Defeat Orc War Beasts (3): Fame +6: 164

Bow of Starsdawn: Fame +14: 178

Volkare is defeated

Activate Altem Mages: Gain Blue Token, Gain Black Token
Time Bending (Blue Token, Black Token)

Hand: Into the Heat, Demolish, Tremor, Swiftness, Bow of Starsdawn, Swift Reflexes, Expose, Tirelessness

Thoughts:
- Finally! Volkare is dead, he did not even get to Attack me.
- I had all the power in the world, I started with Bow of Starsdawn to double the attack and activated the Altem Mages to make all attacks cold fire.
- But after studying the puzzle for some time, I realized I probably do not need the Bow of Starsdawn!
- It would obviously be a far better score if I did not need to break it, two fame for the artifact and loads for the enemies!
- And then I even have Time Bending, but no mana to use it, until I figured out a way to not even use the Altem Mages for the fight.
- It all added up in the end, I used all units, crystals and most of my cards.
- Since I did not attack Volkare, I would normally not get a turn, just flip the token, but with Time Bending I can do more!

Time Bending

Sideways Tirelessness (Howl of the Pack): Move 4 (N)
Enter Spawning Grounds

Reveal Werewolf
Reveal Shadow

Bow of Starsdawn (5x Card) + Powered Swift Reflexes (White Source Die): Ranged Attack 13
Defeat Werewolf, Defeat Shadow: Fame +9: 187
Bow of Starsdawn: Fame +2: 189

Source: Black, Gold, Gold, Gold

Reward: Fame +1 (Black): 190, Gain Red Crystal, Gain Red Crystal (Gold), Druidic Staff (Discarding Golden Grail)

Hand: Druidic Staff (I pass on Long Night)
Crystals: Red, Red

Thoughts:
- I leave the Dragon be and go for the Spawning Grounds instead, it is two tokens and the fame for clearing it, as well as an artifact.
- I can defeat most tokens easily, a Shadow is actually one of the worst I can get.
- But with White mana in the source, it adds up and with the Bow of Stardawn, I defeat both easily at range.

Turn 4

Flip Token Face Up

End of Game

Score

Fame 190
Knowledge 15 (4x Spell, 7x Advanced Action)
Loot 5 (2x Artifact, 1x Pair of Crystals)
Leader 16 (4x Level 3, 1x Level 4)
Conqueror 6 (2x Keep, 1x Tower)
Adventurer 10 (2x Maze, 2x Ruins, 1x Spawning Grounds)
Beating 0
City 20
Volkare 100
---------------
Total 362

Final Map

Final Thoughts

- So I finally beat Volkare's Return at Legendary, Thrilling, this was my fifth attempt, Wolfhawk for the win!
- My previous attempts were with Goldyx, Braevalar, Tovak and Arythea, none of which was completely horrible.
- But you can get into huge troubles at about Day 3, when you cannot take the city or prepare properly for Volkare.
- You pretty much need good units and they are hard to get in the solo scenario, with just one core tile before the city.
- You also need good spells, but with Control over the Offers at least, there should not be an excuse for having none.
- Still, some things have to click together to make it work, I do not think you can best Volkare at Legendary, Thrilling consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Impressive playthrough. I think you manage to show that this game is anything but random. You prepared your hand carefully for the final showdown so that you would always have options when facing Volkare.
Really well played. I will definitely try this scenario soon. It was a most entertaining read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mAIOR wrote:
Impressive playthrough. I think you manage to show that this game is anything but random. You prepared your hand carefully for the final showdown so that you would always have options when facing Volkare.
Really well played. I will definitely try this scenario soon. It was a most entertaining read.

Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed reading it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Wild
United States
Barnet
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given Vokare's Return two tries, both on Heroic, Tight. The first playthrough i totally f'ed up and got decimated. I was playing it like solo conquest where I kept pushing ahead and exploring. I ended up out at the end of the map with nothing to kill, with nothing to do but reveal the city, and volkare just putzing his way towards me.

The second playthrough went much better, but i gave up heading into the 2 night. My timing got way off because of all the Wounds in Volkare's deck he sat on the same space for 6 turns (5 wounds and 1 red card). I did everything else on the map, couldn't explore the first core tile because then he'd land right on top of city.

And I got perhaps the most terrible skills and spells offers i've ever seen. One round i had 3 Influence spells. Next round I had 3 healing spells.

but.

Thank you for your session report. Showed me I should follow Volkare and work around as best I can rather than trying to race in front.

I might try Heroic, Thrilling next just so there's less downtime with Volkare. He will more predictably keep moving and not sit exactly where I don't want him to for 6 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwater wrote:
I ended up out at the end of the map with nothing to kill, with nothing to do but reveal the city, and volkare just putzing his way towards me.

My timing got way off because of all the Wounds in Volkare's deck he sat on the same space for 6 turns (5 wounds and 1 red card). I did everything else on the map, couldn't explore the first core tile because then he'd land right on top of city.

Thank you for your session report. Showed me I should follow Volkare and work around as best I can rather than trying to race in front.

I had lots of problems with timing Volkare's movement with my exploration as well and I would still say that there is no golden rule to follow

Sometimes going for an early extra tile pays off, sometimes it is exactly the tile that is missing in the end as buffer, so Volkare does not reveal the core tile or even the city too early.

I have lost several games by exploring too much or not enough (besides other factors of course). In many of my games I had Volkare draw many Wound cards early and just sitting there. I also think that in solo, having just one core tile is a huge problem. Without revealing it you do not get elite units, once you reveal it, you start the end game, since Volkare most of the time threatens to reveal the city (which you do not want).

On the upside, Volkare's movement is so different every game, it really changes the experience. If he goes east early, he stays on the already revealed starting tiles. If he goes north instead, he can reveal a new tile quite soon.

So all in all, as you said, I try to work with what is revealed, following him if possible or maybe exploring where he is very likely to go anyway (which most of the time you cannot say for sure though...). And then it is a case by case decision to explore and depending on the tile drawn or Volkare's next movement, it can make or break the game. (I have other wins and losses documented as well, if you are interested ).

Thanks for reading the report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Wild
United States
Barnet
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won against Volkare last night playing Braevelar on Heroic, Thrilling. Huzzah!!

I do love the cat and mouse of this scenario. I got some excellent movement cards that allowed me to maximize the area near Volkare then move all the way to the opposite to reveal and conquer the city.

It seems to me that having a lot of Movement flexibility, plus the ability to put together one or two big movement turns, is more important in Volkare than in the Solo Conquest. In conquest, you're usually within a space or two of the edge of the map and where you want to go, whereas in Volkare you often want to travel a long distance to reveal the city as far away from him as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mb
Nice report !

When entering a maze, you have to chose a ready and unwounded unit to follow you, before revealing the token.
So illusionists could not follow you on day 2, turn 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwater wrote:
I won against Volkare last night playing Braevelar on Heroic, Thrilling. Huzzah!!

Congrats!

entwater wrote:
I do love the cat and mouse of this scenario. I got some excellent movement cards that allowed me to maximize the area near Volkare then move all the way to the opposite to reveal and conquer the city.

I know exactly what you mean, I had some really long moves in several games as well! I still think those moves where a good decision, but whether I won those games or not was not really correlated with that move

entwater wrote:
It seems to me that having a lot of Movement flexibility, plus the ability to put together one or two big movement turns, is more important in Volkare than in the Solo Conquest. In conquest, you're usually within a space or two of the edge of the map and where you want to go, whereas in Volkare you often want to travel a long distance to reveal the city as far away from him as possible.

I agree, since you both want to use the revealed tiles from Volkare and want to reveal the city as far away as possible, a fair amount of move is necessary. That being said, I am a big fan of movement skills as well. They do not give you one large move turn, but they do allow you to move a lot more over the course of one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomrefuse wrote:
Nice report !

Thank you!

nomrefuse wrote:
When entering a maze, you have to chose a ready and unwounded unit to follow you, before revealing the token.
So illusionists could not follow you on day 2, turn 7.

Good catch, thank you! While I do take care to decide for one unit up front, I did slack on noting it down properly. It is shortcuts like those that make minor errors slip by! I should have noticed the unit needs to be ready and is not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice report, the only thing I noticed was your attack against the Keep T1 of Day 3
Quote:

Reveal Golems
Taunt: Increase Attack to 4, Reduce armor to 3
Assign to Scouts, then Illusionist
Scouts gain Wound

From Assign Damage Phase of the rulebook.
Quote:

If you cannot or do not want to assign damage to a Unit, or if there is still damage left over after assigning to your Units, you must assign all remaining damage to your heroes.

To me this has always implied that each enemy can only be blocked by one unit, but in carefully reading the rest of the rules, it does appear that you are correct.
Quote:

1b. Otherwise, process all enemies one by one in whatever order you choose.
3. You must assign all damage....You can assign damage to one or more of your unwounded units.

So, not only was it a good report, I learned a rule I've been playing wrong. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.