13 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Clarification needed for Recriminations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Michel Berger Pelletier
msg tools
So, Recriminations reads:

Remove any spellbook (including this one) from your Faction Card and replace it with another available spellbook.

Another available spellbook... that means another spellbook from the Azathoth expansion, right?

What if all 6 spellbooks from the azathoth expansion are picked? Is it a useless spellbook at this point or are there other spellbooks I'm not thinking of?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Your own unselected spellbooks are also available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
jsciv wrote:
Your own unselected spellbooks are also available to you.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Damn that's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rasmussen
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another available spellbook... from the Azathoth expansion OR your faction spellbooks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, besides Opener of the Way and the new OS3 faction, I really don't see a lot of benfit from this book.

I am open to suggestions though! How have you guys made selecting this worthwhile in an actual game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it's best used in conjunction with other Azathoth Spellbooks. Take Recriminations and Umr at-Tawil, for instance, and when you're done building gates you can swap them both out for your faction books.

But yeah, it's pretty situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
IMO it's best used in conjunction with other Azathoth Spellbooks. Take Recriminations and Umr at-Tawil, for instance, and when you're done building gates you can swap them both out for your faction books.

Funny you should mention Umr at-Tawil. That is the other one that, imo, is not much benefit. Most factions build maybe three gates in a game? That is 3 power saved. Not great for filling a spellbook slot. After building 3+ gates, you no longer have the ability to protect them all and at that point you are probably just building gates for your enemy. (Sleeper using Lethargy is an exception of course)

Using Recriminations means you spent one power to swap Umr at-Tawil out, bringing your power savings down even lower.

I have heard people say Recriminations allows you to adjust your strategy on the fly. However, you are still filling a slot in your spellbooks to get this. I would think just grabbing a spellbook that you can immediately benefit from is better than trying to grab Recriminations to swap out one you don't need at the time.

I have considered replacing these two spellbooks with fan made neutral spellbooks. There are a lot out there that are more in line with the other VERY good neutral books like Undimensioned and The Stars are Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TT and WW both have to nuke a gate during the course of the game. Could come in quite handy for them, particualrly with Recriminations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Funny, I feel like Cursed Slumber would also benefit from a swap out. I'd just take the gate away, swap the spellbook for something else and keep the gate "away" for the rest of the game. I never had to use that spell more than once so I think as Sleeper there's possibly some benefit to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that sure would work as well. Just wasn't checking everything before I posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vhailor wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Funny, I feel like Cursed Slumber would also benefit from a swap out. I'd just take the gate away, swap the spellbook for something else and keep the gate "away" for the rest of the game. I never had to use that spell more than once so I think as Sleeper there's possibly some benefit to it.

I have, when the opener expansion is in play. It was a very specific situation involving an over-extended sleeper with a wizard as part of his entourage, a serpent man, and Beyond one. I dropped the gate at the end of the prior round. I moved the serpent man onto opener at the start of the next, got attacked, and then moved with my gate to a better guarded area prior to the battle with sleeper in tow.

One of the things I love about sleeper is the ability to do some crazy stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cursed slumber can get more use on maps like Dreamlands to get a citadel win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
RECRIMINATIONS
This spellbook lets you “throw away” an existing spellbook (including itself) and replace it with another. There are two basic uses for this ability:
1) THE EARLY GAME – you may not yet have settled on a firm strategy, or you might want to conceal your strategy from your foes. In this case, you can take Recriminations, then at an opportune moment, swap it out and embark on your real plan. This gives you flexibility.
2) THE LATE GAME - some spellbooks become less useful over time. For example, in many games, once Nyarlathotep is in play, Nightgaunts become more valuable as shields, and the Crawling Chaos rarely uses their Abduction ability. He may want to swap out Abduction for something else.

The advantage of Umr at Tawil is not so much the power savings in itself, but that it lets you get an extra action or two in during a turn. That can be really useful.

Picture this situation:

It's Turn 1, and you're Sleeper. You spend 3 Power to get Umr at Tawil. You then move a cultist, build a Gate, and summon two wizards. You now have two gates, a spellbook slot filled, and two wizards. Normally you can't do this. In the Doom phase you get your serpent man.

Turn 2: start with 10 power. Sack 3 power, get Cursed Slumber. 1 Power fires off a gate into space. Build a second gate. Summon two serpent men with your remaining 4 Power. Again, thanks to Umr at Tawil, you had just that tiny extra edge to get your last serpent man, so you can get a free Formless spawn at the start of the next turn, and probably awaken big T.

It really can be helpful in the first couple of turns. I agree it is sucky after that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.