51st State: Master Set – Scavengers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Soloable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone have a better grasp of the rules than I do or is a variant needed to play solo. You can't solo this unless you draw 5 cards, instead of 4, during the 'Lookout' phase to create an AI personal discard pile. Anyone have a better solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with the official solo rules in the rule book (I don't have the Scavenge deck yet)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
One of the new card symbols in scavengers allows you to interact with "the top card of another players personal discard pile". Additionally any cards left over after the drafting phase will be put into the "personal discard pile" of the first player. Specifically makes mention of not interacting with your own personal discard pile. As far as I am reading it doesn't seem that this adds anything to solo play without some sort of variation. I hope that I'm wrong otherwise this will not get a lot of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed to this thread. I'm really concerned about this. I'm going to purchase this expansion, mainly for solo. How many cards have this problem? I know that in the base game there is at least one card which interacts with the other player, I don't remember its ability, I think it's related to steal a resource or copy the ability of a card the opponent has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It's enough cards that playing solo without house rules, or an errata from Portal, makes the whole premise of this expansion moot. Because of the solo rules design, there is not an opponent discard pile to interact with and you can't interact with your own discard. I haven't played with the expansion, or looked at it since I bought it because of the issue. Perhaps drawing an extra card during the Lookout phase, to create an artificial 'opponent discard pile', is the solution. I am open to thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve bought this blindly without realizing that expansion can have issues with solo play which is my main style of playing this game. I’m going to create discard pile for dummy player from his cards used for razing and I hope that this gonna work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I’d love to hear how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfui wrote:
I’d love to hear how it works.

I’d call it “playable”, but could be way better. You now got more time for razin due to third action card pile, but also you can’t slack too long before AI starts razing. I’m gonna play it more for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I will have to give it a shot. Thanks for the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.