Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought UNLOCK: The Formula and loved it, but I don't see the point of ever playing The Formula again. It's going to be the same... EXACTLY the same! Is EXIT any different? I want to know because I would love to have a game like this to play as long as it's different each time we play.

Let me know... please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
All the escape rooom games from all the different companies are all one and dones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That means Exit, Unlock, Escape Room: the Game, Escape the Room, Escape Room in a Box, Deckscape, and any I'm missing. All of them are one and dones. And be warned - some of them even involve bending/cutting/tearing components so you have to either make copies, be an amazing spatial thinker, or you can't even sell or pass the game on to someone!!! (Oh noes!)

TIME Stories is almost like an escape room, and its also one and done. You "need" the core set for the board and pieces, but every time a new expansion comes out, you play it once (in 2-6 hours) and youre done.

the upcoming 7th Continent might scratch some of the same itch, and should be a multi-sitting game, that might even be somewhat replayable thanks to different "curses" but its also much more expensive and going to be impossible to track down.

You do realize that theres no way to make an unending series of puzzles/riddles/hidden things, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
You do realize that theres no way to make an unending series of puzzles/riddles/hidden things, right?

I expected that there would be two or three sets of puzzles, like with "Arkham Horror" to swap out to - at least - make the game some-kind-of replayable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
TIME Stories is almost like an escape room,[...]
Not really, it's quite a different gaming experience. More dice rolling and story driven, hardly has any puzzles. I would rather suggest Legends of Andor in that regard, but both games are good but really different from an Escape Room game nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dough54321 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

I expected that there would be two or three sets of puzzles, like with "Arkham Horror" to swap out to - at least - make the game some-kind-of replayable!

If you mean Mansions of Madness and you want something similar to slide puzzles, mastermind and tower of annoy, here are some suggestions....although none of these have story narratives around them.

Enigma has 4 decks of different kinds of puzzles on tiles. the back of each puzzle has a room with connectors and gems that youre trying to claim via meeple placement...akmost Carcassone style. So players draft the puzzles either by their preferred puzzle type or the tile they want to place. Its got pipe puzzles, tangrams, math and something else and some are way easier than others so which can either lead to wonky balance or closer games ymmv.

something like Mindtrap might work for your purposes too, still no story but puzzles and trick questions and mindbenders.

other than that try the various solo "games" from smart games and think fun. things like iq fit and rush hour. you can go to amazon, search those two names and then click on publisher to see more things listed. rush hour is literally the slide puzzles from Mansions themed to cars. I think it has an app too.

and if you really want to break your brain with replaying puzzles, try the video game The Witness.

you can also try spp games like The Room but those are pretty short and not anymore replayable than the other escape rooms.

all of the above have 100 or more puzzles but as always, with a good memory you will eventually reach the end of those too.

If youre looking for a story of some sort tied in with replayable puzzles, you might be out of luck. a good story would tie the puzzles directly in. like how a mystery nove doesn't have a new killer when you reread it.

see, i'm so awesome i'm still trying to help you after you called me ignorant in the other thread. apology accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
TIME Stories is almost like an escape room,[...]
Not really, it's quite a different gaming experience. More dice rolling and story driven, hardly has any puzzles. I would rather suggest Legends of Andor in that regard, but both games are good but really different from an Escape Room game nonetheless.

Well the first time stories had puzzles,but it seems they may have gotten away from that to shunt the puzzles off to Unlock. But for my gf and her mostly nongaming sister they scratch a very similar itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
The Asylum had exactly two real puzzles. One of them would have been "under normal conditions" for age 5 and under, but they came up with a cool rule, forbidding something, you would normally do, which made it quite challenging and unique. We did enjoy this quite a lot, but it is still quite different from a regular Exit puzzle, because you know right from the beginning what to do how, it is just challenging to do it that way.

Also this was optional, some people might have taken another way, never coming around this particular puzzle and therefore only have one puzzle in the whole game. An Exit game should normally have more then ten puzzles, and they are normally all required to solve the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.