Alien VS Predator: Unleashed» Forums » News

Subject: first thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
Is this game already available? Has anyone already tried it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the official release.

I did try to play using the WIP alpha version of the rules. Despite having read the rules beforehand, after 1.5 hours playing and spending more time consulting the rulebook than playing I gave up. I personally found it too complicated and confusing. It's meant to be fun.

I hope I am proven wrong with the official release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks on... nobody else has responded?

Has anyone out there played the Unleased official release? Please prove me wrong and say all the balances issues, confusing rules, and relentless flipping through the rulebook have been fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game, and it stuck with me.

This game is exactly the same (intentionally) with Warzone, so I've played a few Warzone games before playing AvP. It is a wargame, not a board game, so the rules are more complex than your average out-of-the-box games.

It has two things you have to learn when playing:
1. You need to learn the actions and Stat Lines. Once you have learned to navigate "blank" models in the battlefield, and fired up a few "blank" shots, you are clear to move to step 2.
2. You now need to learn the abilities of the models and the Deployment Options. These are what spice up the game. It helps alot if you write down (photocopy? type?) the ability descriptions alongside your units at first, after a couple of games it is redundant. Most of the abilities are just buffs to other things you already know from step 1 {so, for example, Camouflage (x) gives [(-4)+(-x)] penalty to your opponent when you're in cover, instead of the normal (-4)}

I've played over 20 Wargame systems. W.A.R. (Warzone and Unleashed - Tip: they are interchangeable, i.g. Capitol vs Predators) is now my number one fun game. The D20 provides for alot of unpredictability, because most of the shots revolve around 40-60% success, and the "fatality" rate is very high. Unlike most other games, where your models tend to stick on the board for long, W.A.R. is a game of attrition where casualty level is high and you rarely finish the game with more than 30% of the models you started.

I would recommend at least 600 pts for the game, with the 1000pts being the most enjoyable, allowing for more expensive models and variety.

Before I read this article, I added a short battle report, but it is pending approval in the Sessions forum. I hope I added it to the right place.

Anyways, if you're using Facebook, I had also uploaded some bad quality pics and written a short report in the comments.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AvP.Prodos.Games.Official/pe...

Cheers,
K.

P.S. it will take some time till more people subscribe to the Unleashed entry. I mean, I am follower number 3. It is too new, and as a Wargame it will have less popularity than the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.