Subject: Royal Writs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Lutterot
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five questions about Royal Writ cards, as explained in the rule book (2017-05-15):

1. Suppose I defeat a monster mid-game and have the corresponding Charter card in my hand. Could I play and seal the Charter card then (so we don't have to remember I defeated a monster) instead of at the game end? And if so, would that free a spot for a Royal Writ card in my hand?

2. When ruling more than four locations in the southern kingdom I receive 9 vp in total for sealing the corresponding charter card at game end, right?

3. If I reach 3* in the Alchemist guild and play the corresponding Mandate card, do I have to choose a vessel, or can I choose 3 goods instead? If I can choose these goods (possibly only when reaching 3* in the Farmer's guild) do they have to be different from each other? Do they have to be randomly picked? (And I assume the footnote is missing for the goods in the explanation of this card, the way they are present on the card described below it.)

4. When a Writ card gives you goods, influence markers, rosary beads, king's seals or vessels from the supply but the supply is empty, can you take them from a guild?

5. You can discard a held Writ card to the bottom of the deck any time, but when you use Mandate card, does it also go to the bottom of the deck or is there a separate discard pile for the used Writs?

Two questions about the Royal Writ from the Seals & Sirens expansion, as explained in the rule book (2017-05-12):

6. Siren Action -- "Select any discarded landscape tile (already removed by progress die)" Or discarded when substituted for a good by a player?

7. Siren Action -- If you play it as an action, does that mean that in that particular round you have a free 5th or 6th (with saltpeter) action? (And of course one less action from then on.)

And finally, one question about the Kickstarter exclusive Writ cards:

8. Behemoth -- Does the 'no catapult' symbol on the card mean that the Feudum on the card doesn't require military service or does it have something to do with the Windmills & Catapults expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ritz1974 wrote:
Five questions about Royal Writ cards, as explained in the rule book (2017-05-15):

1. Suppose I defeat a monster mid-game and have the corresponding Charter card in my hand. Could I play and seal the Charter card then (so we don't have to remember I defeated a monster) instead of at the game end? And if so, would that free a spot for a Royal Writ card in my hand?

THE RULES STATE AT THE "END OF THE GAME" (THIS KEEPS YOUR VPS SECRET), HOWEVER, YOU MAY SEAL BEFORE. REGARDLESS, UNSEALED OR SALED ROYAL WRIT CARDS COUNT TOWARDS YOUR LIMIT OF 3 CARDS. THE ONLY WAY TO FREE UP SPACE IS TO PLAY A MANDATE CARD OR SIMPLY DISCARD A CARD (BOTH GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK).

The rules state at the end of the game (this keeps your VPs secret), however, you may seal before. Regardless, unsealed or sealed royal writ cards count as part of your limit of three cards. The only way to free up space is to discard a card. (mandates may be discarded after use).

2. When ruling more than four locations in the southern kingdom I receive 9 vp in total for sealing the corresponding charter card at game end, right?

CORRECT.

3. If I reach 3* in the Alchemist guild and play the corresponding Mandate card, do I have to choose a vessel, or can I choose 3 goods instead? If I can choose these goods (possibly only when reaching 3* in the Farmer's guild) do they have to be different from each other? Do they have to be randomly picked? (And I assume the footnote is missing for the goods in the explanation of this card, the way they are present on the card described below it.)

WHEN YOU REACH 3* IN A GUILD, YOU RANDOMLY DRAW THE RESOURCE(S) FROM SUPPLY. IN THE CASE OF 3 STATUS STARS IN THE FARMERS GUILD, YOU RANDOMLY DRAW FROM THE HAVERSACK. YES, AN ASTERISK SHOULD TECHNICALLY BE ADJACENT TO THE WORD "GOODS," HOWEVER, THE ICON DOES SHOW GOODS FROM THE HAVERSACK, SO IN THIS RESPECT, IT IMPLIES A RANDOM DRAW. : )

4. When a Writ card gives you goods, influence markers, rosary beads, king's seals or vessels from the supply but the supply is empty, can you take them from a guild?

NO, THEY MUST BE DRAWN FROM THE (GENERAL) SUPPLY. PAGE 17 INDICATES THAT THERE ARE "LIMITED RESOURCES IN THE GAME."

5. You can discard a held Writ card to the bottom of the deck any time, but when you use Mandate card, does it also go to the bottom of the deck or is there a separate discard pile for the used Writs?

YOU MAY DISCARD A HELD WRIT CARD TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK AT ANY TIME. (SOME MANDATES WILL ALLOW YOU TO PLAY THEM AND THEN DISCARD THEM). ALL DISCARDED CARDS GO THE THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK. ANY SEALED CHARTER STAYS IN YOUR PLAY AREA AND STILL COUNT TOWARD YOUR LIMIT OF 3 CARDS.

Two questions about the Royal Writ from the Seals & Sirens expansion, as explained in the rule book (2017-05-12):

6. Siren Action -- "Select any discarded landscape tile (already removed by progress die)" Or discarded when substituted for a good by a player?

CORRECT.

7. Siren Action -- If you play it as an action, does that mean that in that particular round you have a free 5th or 6th (with saltpeter) action? (And of course one less action from then on.)

REGARDING THE SIREN ACTION, THE RULES STATE: "ONCE PLAYED, IT REMAINS IN PLAY AND LIMITS YOU TO 1 LESS ACTION FOR ALL REMAINING ROUNDS." SO, YOU ARE LIMITED TO ONLY 3 ACTIONS (OR 4 WITH A SALTPETER).

And finally, one question about the Kickstarter exclusive Writ cards:

8. Behemoth -- Does the 'no catapult' symbol on the card mean that the Feudum on the card doesn't require military service or does it have something to do with the Windmills & Catapults expansion?

THE FEUDUM ON THE CARD REQUIRES NO MILITARY SERVICE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can seal a charter before the end game, if you have completed the requirements, but you only score during the end game? You could seal the charters that require you ruling certain areas but, you might not score the points if you have lost the area at the end.

The 3* mandate is truely for any guild? The restriction is you only get three reward options on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
So you can seal a charter before the end game, if you have completed the requirements, but you only score during the end game? You could seal the charters that require you ruling certain areas but, you might not score the points if you have lost the area at the end.

There are no "requirements" to seal a charter, other than having the charter and a King's seal. You could seal a charter that doesn't score you any points if you wanted to.

I'm not sure *why* you would ever want to seal a charter before the end of the game though. Seems an unnecessary complication to allow it, as there is zero benefit to doing so.

XShrike wrote:
The 3* mandate is truely for any guild. The restriction is you only get three reward options on the card.

I believe Mark answered elsewhere that you can only take a reward associated with a guild that you have 3* in. So if you only have 3* in the alchemist guild but not the other guilds, you can only choose to take a vessel, not one of the other rewards.

The card & rulebook are unclear on this, but that is how Mark answered elsewhere. Mark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poptasticboy wrote:
XShrike wrote:

There are no "requirements" to seal a charter, other than having the charter and a King's seal. You could seal a charter that doesn't score you any points if you wanted to.

I'm not sure *why* you would ever want to seal a charter before the end of the game though. Seems an unnecessary complication to allow it, as there is zero benefit to doing so.

The one instances was described in the original post, killing a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
poptasticboy wrote:
XShrike wrote:

The one instances was described in the original post, killing a monster.

Sure, but you could seal that charter regardless of whether you'd actually killed a monster - sealing it early doesn't prove that you did it, so it still has to be remembered. You might as well just leave it until the end, to keep your King's seal and Royal Writ Card slots flexible in case you find a better use for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not trying to argue if it is a valid strategy. I am mainly trying to figure out if you can seal the charters before the end game because I know the people that I will be teaching will ask about this. The answer is apparently yes but, you only score the points at the end of the game.

If you want to argue strategy. Then I do agree with you, it makes more sense to wait until the end of the game. Waiting until the end of the game:

Let's you keep some of your additional end game points secret.

Prevents other players from actively trying to stop you from completing or maximizing your charter points.

Let's you remain flexible until the end. You might get a higher scoring charter and/or you can use more mandates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always seal it but leave the card face down on the table in front of you. That way nobody knows what it is except you - and you know you've fulfilled it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Lutterot
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, since playing a charter doesn't free a Writ card slot in your hand, there is no point to it. Only with the Behemoth card it can lead to discussion afterwards, but here Chris is right: anyone can seal that charter at any time; it doesn't prove anything anyway.

I think the game needs (cute) dead mini-behemoths to remind us we killed one. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.