Subject: Movement rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please explain me the movement rules in this game... I just can't wrap my head around them.

This is how I understand them:

If you move with your first action, you can move for free ie. you don't have to spend gems (you get to move by a number indicated on your hero sheet). If you want to move later in a turn, you need to spend gems. One gem is 1 movement point. You can also add "free movement points" to that number.

Is this all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
Can someone please explain me the movement rules in this game... I just can't wrap my head around them.

This is how I understand them:

If you move with your first action, you can move for free ie. you don't have to spend gems (you get to move my number indicated on your hero sheet). If you want to move later in a turn, you need to spend gems. One gem is 1 movement point. You can also add "free movement points" to that number.

Is this all?

You've almost got it: the first time you move, whether it is your first action or not, is "free" - it draws MP from your "base movement value" (printed on your card). Once you stop movement to do something else (attack, open a box, pick up a passed-out princess, or whatever), you lose any remaining free movement points.

If you start your turn with a non-movement action, that's okay: you still get your full allotment of free movement and can use it after you've completed your starting action(s). You only lose the free movement points if you interrupt your movement to undertake some non-movement action. Note that movement-related skills (e.g. Wall Wrecker and Jump) do not interrupt movement for this purpose - they are modifiers which apply to an in-process movement, and not separate actions.

When you've expended your free movement points, you have to spend gems if you want to move further: 1 gem per movement point, and your free movement points don't play a role in this cost.

e.g.

1) Conan starts his turn, moves 1 space, and attacks someone. He now loses his remaining free movement points. If he wants to move after attacking, he's got to spend 1 gem per movement point.

2) Conan starts his turn, attacks someone, and then moves: he has his whole allotment of free MP to burn, but loses any remaining points if, e.g., he interrupts his movement to make a second attack or pick up a princess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Stephan, for the clear explanation, It instantly clicked with me. I think I understand movement now. Gotta say this rulebook is not that well written. The worst part is that it gives you Hero turn overview and cards explanation/breakdown at the END of the rulebook shake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
Thank you Stephan, for the clear explanation, It instantly clicked with me. I think I understand movement now. Gotta say this rulebook is not that well written. The worst part is that it gives you Hero turn overview and cards explanation/breakdown at the END of the rulebook shake.

If you're using the printed manuals, don't: use the PDFs downloadable from Monolith's site. The manual was completely rewritten, and its movement section (though pedantically precise and correct) tended to confuse people (except for programmers and engineers, as its wording is akin to technical documentation ).

Rulebooks:

http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/rulebooks/

Printed copies of the v2 manuals will (someday) ship to KS backers and will (eventually) be made available to Asmodee for retail buyers who them ask Asmodee for them. The last update i remember seeing said the printed editions would be released in July. (But they were supposed to have already been here in May, so take July with a grain of salt.)

Edit: ACHTUNG - the "game aids" (skill description cards) were never updated by Monolith. They instead added corrections to them in the very back of the new manuals. The Heroes' Book was first to be released and had some errors in the skills' corrections. Rather than update the Heroes' Book again, they added the same information (corrected again) as the last page of the OL book (which was released weeks or a months (i forget) after the updated Heroes' Book). Sigh. One would think that updating PDF manuals and skill cards wouldn't require an act of congress, but at Monolith it apparently does. So: be sure to check the last page of the OL book (v2) for skill clarifications/corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh WOW!! Didn't know about the updated rulebooks modest. They seem a lot clearer . I was struggling the whole morning with the printed rulebook shake.

Thx again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

e.g.

1) Conan starts his turn, moves 1 space, and attacks someone. He now loses his remaining free movement points. If he wants to move after attacking, he's got to spend 1 gem per movement point.

2) Conan starts his turn, attacks someone, and then moves: he has his whole allotment of free MP to burn, but loses any remaining points if, e.g., he interrupts his movement to make a second attack or pick up a princess.

Are you sure? I thought if Conan starts his turn with an attack, that immediately burns his free movement, and he now has to spend gems to move after attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

e.g.

Are you sure? I thought if Conan starts his turn with an attack, that immediately burns his free movement, and he now has to spend gems to move after attacking.

Nope. sgbeal is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

e.g.

I was getting this rule wrong to, found out three weeks ago in the Facebook group after 22 plays of it wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.