Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What is the strangest reason for your board gaming night to be cancelled/moved? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had to shift the day of one of our recent gaming nights as the pub we normally play in was being taken over by Morris Dancers (English folk dancers complete with bells and handkerchiefs)! I was wondering what other unusual circumstances had got in the way of your gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I had to learn Spanish."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to cancel game night when I realized I hadn't met enough people nor got to know them well enough to invite them to a game night.

Of course, now that I think about it, that's probably not strange at all. In fact, that is likely the number one reason for having no game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Weekly all day gaming meet-up cancelled due to Superstorm Sandy landfall happening the same day. Got into a fight with one of the meet-up members who said that government officials shutting down the transportation system and warning people to evacuate/ stay in-doors were being 'officious' (and I guess the staff at the site we went to just had to suck it up and the store should have remained open). I'm an emergency manager/planner/ responder, one of the few kinds of people who were expected to be out in those conditions, and I was stuck sleeping at work for about 48 hours. Sure enough, the area the gaming normally occurs was significantly flooded. I always suspected that guy still thought everyone was being overly dramatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think probably that our venue was being used for a wedding rehearsal. Our game night is at a church.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

This reason begs for more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Weekly all day gaming meet-up cancelled due to Superstorm Sandy landfall happening the same day. Got into a fight with one of the meet-up members who said that government officials shutting down the transportation system and warning people to evacuate/ stay in-doors were being 'officious' (and I guess the staff at the site we went to just had to suck it up and the store should have remained open). I'm an emergency manager/planner/ responder, one of the few kinds of people who were expected to be out in those conditions, and I was stuck sleeping at work for about 48 hours. Sure enough, the area the gaming normally occurs was significantly flooded. I always suspected that guy still thought everyone was being overly dramatic.

Classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
Sex.
Well, we were all pretty stereotypical geeks for a large part of my college days (back before geeks were "cool"), so when hookups would happen it was pretty weird... "Teddy's doing *what* tonight? He's got a *date*?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Army mutiny (about 6 weeks ago). Although we did consider meeting up to play on another day when we were told to stay away from the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cancel game night?

Pete (had a power failure once and we played with candlelight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we had to cancel game night the night a terrorist plowed into the crowd outside the main subway station here in Stockholm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago, I was involved in a games night with some people in the town I had just moved to. Not close friends.

I had a bout of a rather severe disease called pericarditis, which causes the heart to inflame and left me in the cardio ward for 4 days.

Game day was a few days after my discharge and I messaged the guy to say I couldn't make it because doing anything was uncomfortable. I had missed the previous game for being in hospital and hadn't informed him (Kinda low on my priority list staring death in the face and all).

He totally lost the plot, called me a liar and made it about me disrespecting him because I had made a commitment and had broken it, and threatened to blackball me in the local games community. It was truly the most insane thing I had ever encountered.

I saved all those emails as well and whenever mutual friends says "oh he's alright" I show them to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Cancel game night?

We had a panic moment the other day playing Gloomhaven and into the last round when the power went - and so out came the lamps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Clogged toilet, couldn't correct by use of plunger. Reconvened at another residence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a buddy coming over for wings and then gaming a couple of years back. I had the wings in the oven, all the gaming snacks laid out and the game ready to go. I hear a knock at the door about the time he was supposed to arrive. Excitedly I open the door and it's my friend with a really morose look on his face. He was there to tell me his wife and kids were in the car and that "he wasn't allowed to game tonight."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Some one lying about when their kid was to be born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the strangest reason but I was sick starting about two days before game night that I was hosting. I cancelled later that day giving everyone about a 40 hour notice, I just didn't want to chance making anyone else sick.

That day of the game night I was flat on the couch full blown flu....yuck.gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

I have immense respect for the french lady that plays occasionally with our group, particularly her willingness to tackle some text heavy euros, although the French-English dictionary has had to come out once or twice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Cancel game night?

I am sure this would be a positive advantage for some games, thinking of Mysterium and Arkham Horror: The Card Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greame Johnston
United Kingdom
East Grinstead
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On occasions our regular 'geek nights' have to be moved or, god save us, cancelled because some regulars have family or social commitments. I know, unbelievable, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Canceled"?
"Moved"?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with those words.
My Friday night gaming night back in my old town had been going for years if not decades, without missing a night. The host would arrange his family vacations to leave after Friday and return before Friday.

It was great because come Friday night, you always knew where to find some good gaming.
We'd get people just pop-in after not showing up for months, knowing there'd be gaming that night. You never know who'd show up that you hadn't seen in a while. Once about midnight we were in the middle of a game of Ca$h 'n Gun$, and a cop in full uniform and holstered gun waltzed into the game room (without knocking) as we were pointing nerf guns at each other. I'd never seen him before, but it turns out he was a gamer who just hadn't shown up in a year or so, and he was also a cop who was on his overnight "lunch break" and thought he'd stop in for a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

We had a dinner party that night. (Because we were stupid.) When the lights went out we used candles. When the guests left we walked out to the building's front door and saw there was one dry path leading away from our building, everything else was water. We saw cars floating down 20th street. Seven days without power and a few weeks without gas. I remember no games being played during that week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
avian_brain wrote:
We had to shift the day of one of our recent gaming nights as the pub we normally play in was being taken over by Morris Dancers (English folk dancers complete with bells and handkerchiefs)! I was wondering what other unusual circumstances had got in the way of your gaming?

P.S., I love Morris Dancers! I always see them at Ren Faires. I think it'd be fun to game with them in the background, as long as the game wasn't too brain-burny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

We had a dinner party that night. (Because we were stupid.) When the lights went out we used candles. When the guests left we walked out to the building's front door and saw there was one dry path leading away from our building, everything else was water. We saw cars floating down 20th street. Seven days without power and a few weeks without gas. I remember no games being played during that week.

It was my first day back from maternity leave so when I walked into the operations center I got some double takes lol One of the many benefits with having a combat veteran at home during a disaster is that I had zero concerns about leaving my newborn home for what ended up being several days. We were fortunate enough to have no power issues and not be in a flood zone (one of the reason why I love living where I do- no flood zone AND multiple subways lines if there is a disruption). But, yes, there was no gaming for several weeks just because I was pretty much working most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
avian_brain wrote:

P.S., I love Morris Dancers! I always see them at Ren Faires. I think it'd be fun to game with them in the background, as long as the game wasn't too brain-burny.

Morris dancers also tend to be devotees of local ale, so beer and pretzel games are suitable. And around Bristol, many use quarterstaves for their dances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.