Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

I would like to have this as a place where we collect questions. I would try to collect all questions organized in the OP here until they are clarified (from AR in best case - I've seen you here before, stop hiding! ;D) and make a FAQ out of it later then.

In general, purpose is to either help Awaken Realms to point to rules that are not very clear based on the rulebook and such available to us (I understand there is a chance those were already changed for a better understanding in later versions), so AR probably still can fix/clarify these in the rulebook, on board, cards and such before they will be finalized for production. And/or to in the end have a collection of all these clarified topics(from @AR in best case as said) to build a FAQ similiar to what I've done with Dark Souls - The Board Game (http://forums.steamforged.com/index.php?/topic/37033-rules-f... and http://forums.steamforged.com/index.php?/topic/37023-rules-q... if you want to have a look) where I had great support from official side to put that together.

So, since I had my first few solo rounds (where I played all 4 factions basically) with the PnP version, here are a couple of questions. Some I think I understand, but not 100% sold on that it's not misunderstandable, so I rather want to be sure here.

Victory Conditions
1. What if - after the last part of a monument got built - 2+ players have the same amount of cities under their control? Who has won? What are the tie-breakers?

Hero Special Ability

1. If Perseus uses his Special Ability to get placed in any Region on the map and gets placed in a region with a quest he fullfills the requirements for, can he start the quest that turn? I don't think so, but there was a discussion about it.

Movement

1. Some seem to interpret the "Hoplite Movement" section "Player can move a maximum number of Hoplites to a neighboring region equal
to the level of their Leadership stat. You can move Hoplites from various Regions to any other neighboring Region."
as:
- If you have a leadership of 2 and have 2+ hoplites each in 3 regions, you can move 2 hoplites from each region to an neighboring region. So, they basically say you can move 3 x 2 hoplites (6 in total) in that case.
- My understanding in that situation is that you can move a total of 2 hoplites, no matter how many regions you have with 2+ hoplites in. So from these 3 regions with 2+ hoplites in, you can move either 2 from one region to a neighboring one, or move 1 from 2 of these regions (still 2 total) to a neighboring one.

What is correct?

2. The rulebook says under "Hoplite Movement": "You make all moves with Hoplites before fighting any Battles (if they occur).". That only is in relation to the basic "Hoplite Movement" action (considering it's written only there), correct? I don't wait until I probably decided to do "Manoeuvre" as Special Action in that turn too...

Special Action

1. I have to use a Special Action each turn, but can I choose one I can do basically nothing with or choose to not do what it is saying (apart from "Build Movement" for sure) and just mark it with the token? Like, if I have all hoplites on the board, can I still "Recruit" even though I can't recruit any more? Or can I "Usurp", even though I don't have any "Glory Token"? Or choose to "Build Temple" even though I can't build one anywhere? And so on... Or choose "Manoeuvre", but not move a single hoplite even though I have at least 1?
Or do I basically have to choose one I can actually do something with (and actually have to do it then!), which could mean in certain situations I'm forced to use "Build Monument", even though I haven't used others yet?

Hunt

1. During "Hunt", can the hunter decide to not play any card in the "Attack monster" phase and just end the hunt immediately without getting attacked or such afterwards?

Monster

1. If a Monster destroys Hoplites either through rolling dice after Monument building phase or artefacts like "Pandora's Box". Who does decide which hoplite will get destroyed? Additionally same as question 2 (under Combat Cards): If there are hoplites outside of the city and one in the city, can any of these are choosen?

Build Monument

1. Take for example the quest reward from "CLEAN AUGEAN STABLES": "Discard to play 2 Special Actions in a turn instead of 1."

Can this be used to play a 2nd Special Action in the middle of the "Build Monument" Special Action (where it says "END OF TURN") before doing the following steps [i]"All players remove Used Action Tokens"
etc.?
I don't think so, but otherwise:
1b. Why is it specifically saying "END OF TURN" (not "END OF ROUND" or "END OF TURN/ROUND")? And that in the middle of that "Build Monument" Special Action?

Combat cards

1. Combat card saying "If you are defending in a City..." (like "Local Support") means "if a hoplite is in a city" (fortified hoplite basically), not just "a region with a city", correct?

2. If a combat card is saying "Destroy 1 enemy Hoplite" (like "Surprise Attack"), can I destroy the opposing hoplite in the city (the fortified hoplite basically), considering there is a city with a hoplite in or do I have to choose one outside of the city if there is one? Or does even the player loosing a hoplite decide?

3. Monster combat card is saying "Lower permanently highest statistic." (like "Nasty wound") means to decrease the highest statistic (or if several one of these) by 1? So if my highest is Leadership with 3, I do lower it by 1 and have 2 then or lower it to the minimum of 1?

4. Someone attacks a region with 1 enemy hoplite in while bringing at least 2 hoplites into the battle and plays "Surprise Attack", which says "If you have more Hoplites in this battle than your enemy, immediately Destroy 1 enemy Hoplite.". Now the only enemy hoplite in that region will be destroyed immediately before the defender got to defend... Will the defender still be able to play a Combat Card to defend even though he has no hoplite left in there? If, can he play any including those that just increase the army strength number? Or at least those that cause other hoplites to show up like "Local Support" or "Reinforcements"? Or will the battle be instantly over?

Quest
1. If you use the reward from the Quest "AID TO ATLAS" which says "At any time, discard this card to remove all the Used Action Tokens and draw 2 Combat Cards."

Will that also reset Artefacts I already have used this round or does that only count for the "Special Actions"?

Addition to 1:
Can you do that even though it's not your turn? For example if someone will trigger a battle with you, could you discard it then too draw 2 Combat Cards before battle or even while the battle is taking place?

2. If the quest requirement is saying "Destroy 2 Hoplites", do these hoplites have to be in the region the quest is in (together with the hero basically) or can these be any own 2 hoplites on the map?

Artefacts

1. Artefact "Blood of Medusa": Can I put hoplites on the card throughout several battles (probably in several rounds) until I decide to use it or can I only use it once for both phases so to speak?

Blessings

1. Some Blessing cards are saying "[use only once per turn]", which based on the rulebook and the hero board is a bit confusing to me.
The rulebook states a "turn" as what each player is doing (Regular Action, Special Action), while a "round" is basically the result of "multiple turns" until someone builds a monument. So, based on that, I can use these blessings once each time it's my turn, but since on the hero board it is saying "END OF TURN" under "Build Monument" where I would have expected to read "END OF ROUND", I'm not confident anymore about this.

2. Blessing card "Sacrificial Fight": What exactly does "During an Army Movement Action" mean? Does that count for both the basic hoplite movement action and the "Manoeuvre"?
If for both, what if I have "Forced March" blessing for example and move my hoplites 2 regions, while the monster is in the first region I move through? Can I still use "Sacrificial Fight" before leaving the region as part of the second move?
And what if hoplites are in the same region at the beginning of a movement action (either basic hoplite movement or "Manoeuvre")? Can I still destroy 2 hoplites or do they have to have moved at least 1 region before doing so?

3. Blessing card "Forced March" or "Hermes Monument" card means I can move through a region with opposing hoplites without initiating a battle (considering in the second reasons are no opposing hoplites), correct?

4. "After Hero Movement Action" (like Hero's Wrath), does that mean my hero has to have moved at least 1 region to use/trigger the given effect?

5. "Cunning Strategy" saying "After a battle you can ignore Casualties Symbols from a chosen Combat Card.". I think its clear, but want to be sure...
Can I use that to play more Combat cards with Casualties Symbols then I've hoplites in the battle? So, if I have 2 hoplites and play one Combat Card with 2 Casualties Symbols on (which I could ignore at the end with that blessing), could I with that in mind play additional cards with up to 2 Casualties Symbols in total?

I rather don't want to see answers here where people are not 1000% sure about. I don't want this to end up as a discussion thread, it's purely for clarification from official site or if someone - as said - is 1000% sure!

If you have additional questions with the intend to get such a clarification, feel free to type it down and I'll add it in the OP until the question has been answered! If we have enough clarifications together, I'll start working on a FAQ like the one from DS I've put together!

Thanks a lot!
Replect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Kolenda
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

I'm gonna repeat my answers also here. They are mostly based on the feedback I have received from Adam, game designer. I have created a separate google doc with all the questions me and my group had while playing the prototype. Some of them I received from reviewers (who actually got it from Adam). Answers marked with DK means they are my thoughts, my understanding basing on designer's/reviewer's feedback and my play experience.

Movement

1. If your Leadership is 3, you can move up to 3 hoplites from any region/s by 1 region. They don't have to be in the same region when you start this action. You can't move the same hoplite twice. You can't move 3x 3. If you have already moved 3 hoplites by 1 region each, you can't move more.

2. All battles are triggered after you use Hoplite Movement normal action. You don't trigger it after every single move of your hoplite figure. So, if you have Leadership 3 and you move 3 hoplites to different enemy's regions each you triggere those 3 battles at the end of Hoplite Movement normal action. You choose in which order they occur.

Special Action

1. I do not think it is allowed. You have at least one action you can always perform - build monument. (DK)

Hunt

1. Yes, you can choose not to play any card as well as you can choose to play multiple cards.

Combat cards

3. You just lower the highest statistic permanently by 1. If there are more statistics with the highest number, you choose which one to decrease.

Artifacts

1. Only from 1 battle. Then you decide when to deploy them. After that the artifact needs to be recharged during monument build action.

Blessings

1. That is just unfortunate misspelling. Turn should mean every time you perform your normal and special actions. Round ends when a monument is build. They just need to be consistent here. However I got confirmed that Additional Recruitment blessing gives you 2 hoplites every turn (not round). It applies to other blessings with "turn" word.

2. Normal army movement action, so it can't be combined with Forced March. BTW. FM card allows you to move up to 2 regions, it doesn't have to be exactly 2. (DK)

3. Yes (DK)

4. Yes.

---

As for the rest, I'm eager to see the clarifications myself. I know they are considering to change/update some small things, eg. you are not allowed to have more than 4 Combat cards at any point (except Hunt), which means that as of now you can't swap unwanted cards. For example, you have 4 cards and use effect which gives you 2 additional, so you would like to discard 2 of 6. You can't do that, but who know if it won't be possible in the final version. Sometimes you are stacked with needless cards when you would like to finish off a monster with certain wounds. I recently went on Hunt with 8 cards (5 wounds to do) and didn't kill the guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns and rounds could be messed in current version of the rulebook.

However it's pretty clear. Players do turns (common actions + 1 special action). At one point they have no available special actions and have to end the round (build monument). Sometimes of course players decide to end the round earlier than that. You can build monument your every turn if you like.

Not obvious from the start to me was that on a turn player can do all the common actions, not just one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Added an additional question in the OP:

Build Monument

1. Take for example the quest reward from "CLEAN AUGEAN STABLES": "Discard to play 2 Special Actions in a turn instead of 1."

Can this be used to play a 2nd Special Action in the middle of the "Build Monument" Special Action (where it says "END OF TURN") before doing the following steps [i]"All players remove Used Action Tokens"
etc.?
I don't think so, but otherwise:
1b. Why is it specifically saying "END OF TURN" (not "END OF ROUND" or "END OF TURN/ROUND")? And that in the middle of that "Build Monument" Special Action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Additional question:

Victory Conditions

1. What if - after the last part of a monument got built - 2+ players have the same amount of cities under their control? Who has won? What are the tie-breakers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Kolenda
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replect wrote:
Additional question:

Victory Conditions

I got official answer for that, however please note that it might change once the game is published. As of now, if there is a tie in the number of cities, the first player on the left (clockwise) from active player wins. So, if you trigger the end of a game by building a monument and you have the same amount of cities as someone else, you won't win this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quest

1. If you use the reward from the Quest "AID TO ATLAS" which says "At any time, discard this card to remove all the Used Action Tokens and draw 2 Combat Cards."

Will that also reset Artefacts I already have used this round or does that only count for the "Special Actions"?

It's not so clear, because the rulebook doesn't say how to mark that an Artefact has been used already. That can be handled by either turning the Artefact face down or by putting a Used Action Token on them, but I assume those are reserved for the Special Actions and there are not enough to cover the Artefacts as well.
Currently I assume turning the Artefact face down is the way to go and that Quest reward won't reset used Artefacts, only the general Special Actions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hero Special Ability

1. If Perseus uses his Special Ability to get placed in any Region on the map and gets placed in a region with a quest he fullfills the requirements for, can he start the quest that turn? I don't think so, but there was a discussion about it.

Quests

Addition to 1:
(1. If you use the reward from the Quest "AID TO ATLAS" which says "At any time, discard this card to remove all the Used Action Tokens and draw 2 Combat Cards."

Will that also reset Artefacts I already have used this round or does that only count for the "Special Actions"?)

Addition: Can you do that even though it's not your turn? For example if someone will trigger a battle with you, could you discard it then too draw 2 Combat Cards before battle or even while the battle is taking place?

2. If the quest requirement is saying "Destroy 2 Hoplites", do these hoplites have to be in the region the quest is in (together with the hero basically) or can these be any own 2 hoplites on the map?

Combat cards

4. Someone attacks a region with 1 enemy hoplite in while bringing at least 2 hoplites into the battle and plays "Surprise Attack", which says "If you have more Hoplites in this battle than your enemy, immediately Destroy 1 enemy Hoplite.". Now the only enemy hoplite in that region will be destroyed immediately before the defender got to defend... Will the defender still be able to play a Combat Card to defend even though he has no hoplite left in there? If, can he play any including those that just increase the army strength number? Or at least those that cause other hoplites to show up like "Local Support" or "Reinforcements"? Or will the battle be instantly over?

Blessings

5. "Cunning Strategy" saying "After a battle you can ignore Casualties Symbols from a chosen Combat Card.". I think its clear, but want to be sure...
Can I use that to play more Combat cards with Casualties Symbols then I've hoplites in the battle? So, if I have 2 hoplites and play one Combat Card with 2 Casualties Symbols on (which I could ignore at the end with that blessing), could I with that in mind play additional cards with up to 2 Casualties Symbols in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Reeves
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HUNT
I have a question about defending a monster during a Hunt.
All the monster hunt cards that are played against the player say "If not defended against:". The wording here makes me confused. Does this mean the player didn't play any combat cards at all or the player didn't play ENOUGH to not block the whole value of the attack? Otherwise, you could just block with a combat card value of 1 (or 0), just to say you defended, so the bad stuff doesn't happen to you.

My other question is about playing combat cards for a wound against the monsters. Some text the way it's written can be interpreted more than 1 way, which is confusing. For example: "Use 3 Combat Cards with bow symbol to deal a Would of any type." Does this mean use 3 bow cards, or does this mean use 3 other random combat cards + the 1 bow card= 4 cards to deal 1 wound of any type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You either defend or not. To defend you have to play a value equal or greater than attack.

For the second question it sounds stange. To play 3 cards with bow symbol you have to play 3 cards with bow symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lundevold
Norway
Vennesla
Vest-Agder
flag msg tools
I have a few questions.

Actions

1. Can you perform multiple common actions, just not the same more times, before performing your special action or is it 1 common and then 1 special?

Hunt

2. When defending against hunter attacks, do you discard your combat cards used or are they kept on your hand?

Usurp

3. If you have a glory token and usurping. Do you place the glory token on the map or are the glory token always placed with your player board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am looking at the latest manual linked from the October 7 update on kickstarter.

Page 9, Hoplite Movement. I am unclear on the section regarding Fortify a Hoplite.
Does a hoplite need to move into the city in order to be able to be fortified or just be in the region with a city?

As an example, if I have 3 hoplites in Corinthia, and want to move them to Argolis and fortify one of them, how many turns will that take? In other words, do I have to take 1 turn to move into Argolis, a second turn to move a unit into the city, a third turn to fortify them?

If I later want to move that hoplite to a different region, does it take 1 turn to move out of the city, then a second turn to move to the new region?

After I have moved out of the city, while remaining in the region where they became fortified (Argolis), but not the city where fortification took place, is the hoplite still considered fortified?

Page 10. Underneath the diagram for Build Monument, it says "Building Monuments marks the end of a round." I can't find any other reference to "a round" in the manual. What is a round?

Page 10- 11. Course of the Game and Monster Phase. I am a little confused as to how the game should flow. Assuming a 4 player game, Player 1 performs regular actions and one special action. Assuming Player 1 does NOT use the special action Build Monument, Player 2 performs regular actions and one special action, then Player 3 and Player 4. Assuming this is the first turn for everyone, and no one selects the Build Monument Special Action:

Page 11 states that the player who performed the "Build Monument" Special Action rolls the Monster die. If no one performed the Build Monument Special Action, does the Monster Phase and Event Phase not happen and the game returns to Player 1 for a new turn of Regular Actions and a Special Action?

I'm uncertain, because at the end of the Event Phase on Page 11, it says "After the Event Phase, the next player begins his/her Turn". This leads me to believe the Monster and Event Phase happen at the end of each player's turn. Or does the Monster Phase only happen if Build Monument was selected, and if it was not, skip straight to the Event Phase?

I think Dmitry may have answered my questions regarding Course of the Game, which I put in bold above:

VDmitry wrote:
Turns and rounds could be messed in current version of the rulebook.

However it's pretty clear. Players do turns (common actions + 1 special action). At one point they have no available special actions and have to end the round (build monument). Sometimes of course players decide to end the round earlier than that. You can build monument your every turn if you like.

Not obvious from the start to me was that on a turn player can do all the common actions, not just one of them.

If this is correct, and I believe Dmitry has it right, then in a 4 player game for example, players could each take 3 turns, and during the fourth turn, Player 1 could take all of their regular actions, perform Build Monument for their SA, and have the advantage of performing all of those extra regular actions and prevent the other 3 players from doing so. Sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paritally answering my own question here:

crashmonkey wrote:
I am looking at the latest manual linked from the October 7 update on kickstarter.

Page 9, Hoplite Movement. I am unclear on the section regarding Fortify a Hoplite.
Does a hoplite need to move into the city in order to be able to be fortified or just be in the region with a city?

As an example, if I have 3 hoplites in Corinthia, and want to move them to Argolis and fortify one of them, how many turns will that take? In other words, do I have to take 1 turn to move into Argolis, a second turn to move a unit into the city, a third turn to fortify them?

If I later want to move that hoplite to a different region, does it take 1 turn to move out of the city, then a second turn to move to the new region?

After I have moved out of the city, while remaining in the region where they became fortified (Argolis), but not the city where fortification took place, is the hoplite still considered fortified?

I found the older protype rule book, and for some reason I find its explanation a little clearer. I think the mechanics are Turn 1 move into territory with a city (from Corinthia to Argolis). Turn 2 move into the city, that unit is now fortified. Turn 3, if desired, move out of the city but back into region (Argolis) - unit is still fortified.

Now I have a new question.

Under the Recruit Special Action, the rule book says "A player can Recruit up to 2 Hoplites in every Region he/she controls with a City in it (4 for Sparta). If there is room in the City/Sparta, one of the recruited Hoplites may be Recruited already Fortified in City/Sparta".

I can't find any reference to population limits for cities or Sparta. How do you determine if there is room?

Is it 2 per city and 4 for Sparta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joodi wrote:
I have a few questions.

Actions

1. Can you perform multiple common actions, just not the same more times, before performing your special action or is it 1 common and then 1 special?

Multple commons, as many as you want, barring restrictions (E.g. for Hoplite movement, you are limited by your hero's leadership value). There are four Regular Actions. Each movement type (Priests, Hero, and Hoplite) is considered a separate regular action.

You can move X hoplite units, up to your hero's leadership value, one space. But then you can perform the basic priest action, Hero movement and/or use any or all artifacts. You don't have to do them in any particular order. However, you can't move a hoplite, then move your hero, then move another hoplite - you have to perform all hoplite movements at one time.

The newer version of the rule book makes this clearer:

REGULAR ACTIONS A player can use any number of Artifacts they possess during their turn and move their units (Hoplites, Hero, Priests). There is no order of Regular Actions, but a player can perform a given Regular Action only once. (e.g. 2 Artifacts can be used at once, but a player cannot use one Artifact, move Hoplites, and then use another Artifact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mitchell
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This still isn’t as clear as it should be as it doesn’t clearly state you can use all of the Regular Actions. The opening sentence should state something to the effect, “Perform your Regular Actions by performing all, some, or none of the described actions (Prayer, Hero Movement, Hoplite Movement, and Using Artifacts) in any order”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the terrain add-on box come with 12 cities when it looks like the board only supports 10 fortified spaces? On that same note, what’s the difference between the two sides of the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Naguelito
msg tools
1. I think because they'll fit on the map expansions (not sure)
2. Back of the map is for solo player mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.