Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

CMON Limited» Forums » General

Subject: Publishers who localize games must keep MSRP no matther circumstances? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lev Dukhovny
msg tools
mb
So lately publishers in Russia finally noticed that they are ignoring some sweet games from CMON. Many titles went into localization. That's some good news i thought. So we have new trend here which is publishers crowdfunding localization for games. But it's mostly just preorders with a little bit off from final pricing because amount needed is always low and there were literally only 2 projects that didn't make it. And one of them was published anyway. Back to our story. Blood rage campaign went well everyone's happy and stuff like this. Then one publisher announces final price for massive darkness and BAM shit hit the fan. So announced price was really good. Lower than MSRP on kickstarter. And though our publisher tries to explain situation as vague as possible idea behind all this is simple. CMON wants price to be equal to MSRP in US. Then campaign for zombicide BP was shortened to 2 weeks instead of usual month. And now again Godfather price got 25% higher than publisher described first. So CMON wants us to pay MSRP for their games? Are they aware of ruble situation? Right now ruble worth twice less than it's price in 2014. And people are getting same money as they were getting in 2014. So imagine this. Salary lower than US. Price higher than US because well we pay in rubles. Same MSRP. Is there any legal reason for it except greediness? Print run is 1000 copies for Godfather and probably MD so it's not like a lot of people from US will order from us so it's not like CMON loses a lot of money in this situation. 60-70% of those copies will immideately be sold out to Russian customers. And good luck shipping this box afterwards. That's just silly. So any other reasons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonely_Zero wrote:
So lately publishers in Russia finally noticed that they are ignoring some sweet games from CMON. Many titles went into localization. That's some good news i thought. So we have new trend here which is publishers crowdfunding localization for games. But it's mostly just preorders with a little bit off from final pricing because amount needed is always low and there were literally only 2 projects that didn't make it. And one of them was published anyway. Back to our story. Blood rage campaign went well everyone's happy and stuff like this. Then one publisher announces final price for massive darkness and BAM shit hit the fan. So announced price was really good. Lower than MSRP on kickstarter. And though our publisher tries to explain situation as vague as possible idea behind all this is simple. CMON wants price to be equal to MSRP in US. Then campaign for zombicide BP was shortened to 2 weeks instead of usual month. And now again Godfather price got 25% higher than publisher described first. So CMON wants us to pay MSRP for their games? Are they aware of ruble situation? Right now ruble worth twice less than it's price in 2014. And people are getting same money as they were getting in 2014. So imagine this. Salary lower than US. Price higher than US because well we pay in rubles. Same MSRP. Is there any legal reason for it except greediness? Print run is 1000 copies for Godfather and probably MD so it's not like a lot of people from US will order from us so it's not like CMON loses a lot of money in this situation. 60-70% of those copies will immideately be sold out to Russian customers. And good luck shipping this box afterwards. That's just silly. So any other reasons?

Stop being poor and you wont have to worry about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not be understanding this perfectly, so bear with me.

Are you saying that Russian publishers are being granted the rights to print Russian editions, but told by the main publisher (and rights holder) that MSRP must match US pricing?

On the surface, I can see why that's upsetting to you. But I also see why they want consistent pricing. I don't know how these publishing agreements work, but I assume your Russian publisher must pay the rights holder in US dollars (or Euros, depending on the publisher).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.