24 Posts

Deadball» Forums » General

Subject: Advanced Hit Distribution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Morning folks, the rater over http://www.sweethoss.com/deadball offers an option called "advanced hit distribution." This basically allows you to generate a team sheet with player-specific hit types, so a guy wit mostly singles and HRs would have a line like 1-75 singles, 76-79 doubles, and 80-100 HR.

Basically, on a hit, you roll a d20 and roll against your hit line, ignoring the base hit chart and all P ratings are rendered useless.

There are however a few things you need to adjust in your game to use his system as found by Paul and I when developing this.

For ballpark factors, instead of +/- 1 on a scale of 20, you need to use +/- 5 on the hit roll (to scale up to 100 scale)

For range checks using my advanced defense system, use the MSS as normal to determine if an out or range check is needed. If a check is needed, check the last number of hit roll for the position who is being tested.

On the hit roll, if the last digit of hit roll is 0-2, runners on base take an extra base e.g., "Single, adv 2" or "double adv 3," otherwise test the player per normal d12 rules.

You check the range after the hit. 3B don't offer range checks. Unmodified roll of 100 robs homerun!

For C- hitters, 1-10 on hit roll turns single into strikeout.

Any questions, let me know. I know the error/advanced hit distribution seems complicated, but I played a game with it last night and it flowed really well and was really easy to grasp onto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Travis, the idea with the d100 for hits is interesting, it's similar to how it's done in the Roster Card Baseball.
It is not entirely clear how to determine whether defense is needed or not.
Could you give any example for clarity?
Can you explain how to use the data in the example of Pedro Strop (Cubs 2016)?
1B=75, 2B=95, 3B=Empty, HR=100, ...., AB=1, 2B=0, HR=0.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Well, to use this, you would have to use my defense rule.

MSS of 1-19 are considered no defense checks, and after that, when the first digit of the MSS is even perform a defense check.

To know what position to test, use the last number of the hit roll:

0-2 = no check, strikeout
3 = 1B
4 = 2B
5 = 3B
6 = SS
7 = RF
8 = CF
9 = LF

Thus, a 260 hitter with a MSS of 24 would get a hit. You'd then roll for defense (because the first digit of MSS is 2, even) testing the 2nd basemen (second digit of MSS 24 is 4, 4 = 2nd basemen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Viktorino wrote:
Travis, the idea with the d100 for hits is interesting, it's similar to how it's done in the Roster Card Baseball.
It is not entirely clear how to determine whether defense is needed or not.
Could you give any example for clarity?
Can you explain how to use the data in the example of Pedro Strop (Cubs 2016)?
1B=75, 2B=95, 3B=Empty, HR=100, ...., AB=1, 2B=0, HR=0.
Thanks

In regards to Strop, batters with low sample size get a standard batting line of 75 single numbers, 20 double numbers, and 5 HR numbers.

So with his AB he gets the basic batting line. But basically, if you roll the MSS and it results in a hit, you roll the dice again to see what your hit type was.

For Strop, a roll of <= 75 is a single, <= 95 is a double, and > 95 is a HR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I right?
1. MSS<=BT - hit
2. roll d20, if MSS=2x (DEF) - roll d12

What has changed now?
How to use advanced hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Am I right?
1. MSS<=BT - hit
2. roll d20, if MSS=2x (DEF) - roll d12

What has changed now?
How to use advanced hits?

VB, it's basically the same as you said until you get a hit. The difference is in step 2, instead of using the regular hit table with a d20, you'd roll a d100 and apply that result to determine what type of hit it was.

So, for a player who had a hit line like:

Single 1-56, Doubles 57-77, Triples 78, HR 79-100, a roll of 63 would be a double, and a roll of 3 would be a single, etc.

This is an advanced house rule we created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone use this? I also realized we need to account for defensive shifts because this rule doesn't use the hit table and the shifts rely on the hit table for their result. More tuning is needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tjans wrote:

Single 1-56, Doubles 57-77, Triples 78, HR 79-100, a roll of 63 would be a double, and a roll of 3 would be a single, etc.

Travis, what about advanced base running (single adv. 2, double adv. 3), traits, defenses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
2nd digit of MSS takes care of extra base advancement. P traits are no longer needed, and C- makes a roll of 1-10 on hits a strikeout.

Defense stays the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tjans wrote:
2nd digit of MSS takes care of extra base advancement. P traits are no longer needed, and C- makes a roll of 1-10 on hits a strikeout.

Defense stays the same.

0-2 - it's only 30%, there used to be more
1-10 for C- - is this d12?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
There did but we slimmed it down because it doesn't happen that often.

Also the 0-2 is on the d100 roll for hit. Turns singles into K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realized: 1-10 is at d100 to determine the type of hit.
But in fact for С- it is taken into account in the 1B. Is not it so?
For C- does triple->double adv. 3 remain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
We haven't fully fleshed this system out yet. If you play it, you're playing the beta. Therefore, I don't know yet. Feel free to play with it and report back your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe for clarity to make a quick reference sheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Blades
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Travis I would love to help you guys out with testing. Can you create a new cheat sheet? Benny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't given this idea much more thought, so I don't have enough to create a cheat sheet on at this time. I've been playing with the stock hit chart and I'm good with it for now. I'd like to revisit this rule at some point, and when I do, I'll write up a cheat sheet for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Alright, I think I covered everything. Please test it out and let me know your thoughts:

Whenever the core game system determines you have a hit:

1.) Instead of rolling a D20 to determine your hit, you roll a D100 (or 2 D10s)
2.) The number rolled will determine what type of hit it was based on the player's individual numbers. You need to figure out the percentage out of 100 that each hit was, or use the http://www.sweethoss.com/deadball tool to generate the numbers for you.
3.) P ratings are now ignored
4.) For ballpark factors, instead of +/- 1 on a scale of 20, you need to use +/- 5 on the hit roll (to scale up to 100 scale)
5.) For range checks using my advanced defense system, use the MSS as normal to determine if an out or range check is needed. If a check is needed, check the last number of hit roll for the position who is being tested.
6.) On the D100 hit roll, if the last digit of hit roll is 0-2, runners on base take an extra base e.g., "Single, adv 2" or "double adv 3," otherwise test the player per the normal D12 "Defense on Hits" chart
7.) The range test for DEF is rolled after the hit.
8.) Triples don't offer range checks.
9.) Unmodified roll of 100 robs homerun!
10.) For C- hitters, 1-10 on hit roll turns single into strikeout. The S- result on 18 that lowers a triple to a "Double, adv 3" is no longer needed. The player's actual triple output will be handled by the D100 hit roll.

With IF IN, use the following chart:
---
On normal singles (last digit of D100 hit roll is 3-9), add 2 to the DEF roll. On a 13, the runner coming home from third is out and the batter reaches first base safely.

Hard hit singles (last digit of D100 hit roll is 0-2) the result becomes "Double, adv 2."

For playing No Doubles, use the following chart:
---
On normal singles (last digit of D100 hit roll is 3-9), do not roll for DEF.
On normal doubles (last digit of D100 hit roll is 3-9), result becomes "Single, adv 2"

For playing IF Shift vs. Power Hitters, use the following chart:

---
On a single to the 1B or 2B side of the IF, add 3 to the DEF roll.
On a single to the 3B, the result becomes "Double, adv 2."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
I had the idea to bring the IF in on bunts making the defense roll 1-2 instead of 1-3 for success, but I think if the player is showing bunt, the IF would always be in with less than 2 outs, so that didn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Travis, please clarify:
1. MSS d100: 1..19 hit, no DEF; 20..BT hit, check for DEF
2. HIT d100: x0, x1, x2 - extra base hit
if we need check for DEF and then HIT d100= x0, x1 or x2 - it will be extra base, no DEF?
For C- hitters, 1-10 on hit roll turns single into strikeout - it will reduce BT, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking, you'll likely need to be more clear.

However, I'll attempt to answer with some assumptions:

Quote:
1. MSS d100: 1..19 hit, no DEF; 20..BT hit, check for DEF

Using my defense system, you check the first digit of the MSS to determine if it's a DEF check. Even = do the test, odd means no test. Since I am not counting 0 and 1 is odd, you don't do range checks until you get an MSS >= 20. You'll need to read the thread I posted on my defense house rule to get the full understanding of how it works. It's WAAAY less complicated than it seems.

Quote:
2. HIT d100: x0, x1, x2 - extra base hit
if we need check for DEF and then HIT d100= x0, x1 or x2 - it will be extra base, no DEF?

0-2 (also known as hard hit balls) will not require a defense check. I'll note that in my rules.

Quote:
For C- hitters, 1-10 on hit roll turns single into strikeout - it will reduce BT, right?

It will not directly reduce the BT, but it will certainly reduce the amount of hits. If you use the rule as written in the book, C- turns a 1 or a 2 on the hit table into a strikeout. that's 2 chances out of 20, or 10%. We just extrapolated that into a 1-10 on the D100 scale, which is still 10%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Travis, for example, MSS=20, hit, need check for DEF.
What happens next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Please read the defense rule I posted here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25912109#25912109

Basically mixed with this hit distribution rule you would then:

Roll D100 for type of hit, let's say it's a 33, which for my player is a single. Since the MSS was even, you check for defense by rolling a D12 vs. the "Defense on Hits" chart. Since it was a 33, (and using official rules), the final number of the MSS is 0. 0-2 there's no DEF check. If the MSS was 26, it'd be a hit with a rnage test on the SS (because of the 2nd number being 6 in the MSS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Travis. I'm sorry for my questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
No apologies necessary. Have fun and let me know your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.