Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the Collectors edition online in Canada and am thinking of ordering it from the US. Is it worth the extra expense?

Has anyone seen this edition in Canada? Maybe in a physical store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
bholmes4 wrote:
I can't find the Collectors edition online in Canada and am thinking of ordering it from the US. Is it worth the extra expense?

Has anyone seen this edition in Canada? Maybe in a physical store?

I think the only things you are missing out on by just getting the standard edition are ...

1. Bowser character
2. Plastic Coins
3. Ticket To Ride sized box
4. Insert with slots for all characters.

I bought the standard edition of the game today. Cardboard money seems fine. The Bowser characters ability seems overly mean anyways. There is space/tray in the standard insert to loosely fit all character miniatures. The box size is more like a regular monopoly box size.

Personally, I don't think I'm missing out on much by not having the collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you buy and how much was it? Did they have character packs and how much were those?

I just looked at Bowser, what seems particularly mean about him? Most characters had an ability to cause players to lose coins it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be picky, you're also missing the Bowser Jr. boss card by not getting the Collectors' Edition. Of course, if you do I think you're missing the Bowser one.

The art on the boards might be also be a bit different, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Super Zero wrote:
To be picky, you're also missing the Bowser Jr. boss card by not getting the Collectors' Edition. Of course, if you do I think you're missing the Bowser one.

The art on the boards might be also be a bit different, I believe.

Yes, in the standard edition you get Bowser as the "final boss", not Bowser Jr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any differences in the boss cards other than art and name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
bholmes4 wrote:
Where did you buy and how much was it? Did they have character packs and how much were those?

I bought at EB Games in Ottawa (Rideau Centre). The game was $40, and the packs were about $6 each. This was discounted using an Edge Card. They had all the character packs, and I bought all 8.

bholmes4 wrote:

I just looked at Bowser, what seems particularly mean about him? Most characters had an ability to cause players to lose coins it seems.

Most other characters have a Power-up boost ability that make players drop coins on the board, once on the board they are at least still techinically available for anyone to grab. Bowser straight up has one that lets you steal from a specific player, and then take an additional 1 from each player.

Donkey Kong has a Superstar ability that is mean (Steal 3 Coins from each player, but I think it's harder to use Superstar abilities.

Both Wario and Diddy Kong have a mean power-up boost. Wario steals 5 coins from another player if they are on the same space. Diddy Kong steals 4 from player up to 5 spaces behind. So even compared to Bowser it's still more restrictive.

Rosalina has a Superstar ability that lets you pay 5 coins to steal one of a players least expensive properties.

Of course Bowser's ability is completely thematic, and it should be mean. I'm just saying I'm not really going to miss it ... well, ok, maybe just a little bit! But that's just because I a completionist at heart, ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
bholmes4 wrote:

One thing some people might not like about what I bought.

The cards that came in my character packs are all bi-lingual. There are both English and French text on them. This means the text on the cards is smaller to fit both languages and not as easy to read.

All cards that came in my standard base game have English only on the cards. Despite having both English and French on the box, and French rules included.

Not a huge deal for me, but just something to note as it might annoy some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
bholmes4 wrote:

My Bowser boss card doesn't have the part about if you roll a 3 or less all other players put 1 coin on boss card (like Bowser Jr card says). It just says if you win collect all coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The retail version of the game has only been released in Canada and only at EB Games. The Collectors edition is only available in the USA and only at GameStop (who also owns EB Games).

The game at EB is $45 CAD and once you factor in Ontario taxes comes to roughly $52 CAD.

Ordering the Collectors edition from the GameStop website was $50 USD plus a $15 shipping/international fee and after conversion cost me $73 CAD.

I hope it arrives by the weekend, I placed the order esterday afternoon but Tuesday is their Independance Day holiday so who knows how the Mail will proceed.

A couple issues with ordering; the all in one bundle was not available (which includes all character packs) and the individual character packs were not as well, so those I'll have to pick up locally at EB. Also, I first tried to pay with paypal but it would not allow it for international orders so I had to use my credit card.

Quite frankly, I relish the ability to have the game on my shelf, not in a coffin box. Currently the only coffin box games I display are Millennium Blades, Star Wars: Epic Duels and Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. This is not a group I want to grow. Plus the box of the Collectors edition just looks fantastic and the plastic coins are a huge draw for me.
... plus Bowser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhdrill wrote:
The retail version of the game has only been released in Canada and only at EB Games. The Collectors edition is only available in the USA and only at GameStop (who also owns EB Games).

The game at EB is $45 CAD and once you factor in Ontario taxes comes to roughly $52 CAD.

Ordering the Collectors edition from the GameStop website was $50 USD plus a $15 shipping/international fee and after conversion cost me $73 CAD.

I hope it arrives by the weekend, I placed the order esterday afternoon but Tuesday is their Independance Day holiday so who knows how the Mail will proceed.

A couple issues with ordering; the all in one bundle was not available (which includes all character packs) and the individual character packs were not as well, so those I'll have to pick up locally at EB. Also, I first tried to pay with paypal but it would not allow it for international orders so I had to use my credit card.

Quite frankly, I relish the ability to have the game on my shelf, not in a coffin box. Currently the only coffin box games I display are Millennium Blades, Star Wars: Epic Duels and Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. This is not a group I want to grow. Plus the box of the Collectors edition just looks fantastic and the plastic coins are a huge draw for me.
... plus Bowser.

I totally feel this is worth $21 and a week of shipping but that has to be a personal decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering doing the same. The way I see it, Bowser is essentially worth close to $7 CAD with tax if individual packs are $6 each here. So that means you are paying about $15 CAD for plastic coins and the special box. That's not too bad. If the game is only $40 CAD in store though (as reported) it starts to be less of a deal. With two young boys at home sometimes it's better to go with the basic option so I'm not as concerned about how they treat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt, for the confirmation. I've ordered from GameStop in the States, and look forward to my package arriving.

You can get some of the individual power packs from the site. You need to specifically search for 'Power Packs', though; for some strange reason, searching for Monopoly Gamer doesn't bring them up.

Am off around Manitoba today to see if I can find the packs that were sold out on the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pricing of $40 and $6 are if you already have a subscription to the EB Games preferred customer rewards program.

The actual pricing is $44.97 for the game and $6.97 for each character pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Thanks, Matt, for the confirmation. I've ordered from GameStop in the States, and look forward to my package arriving.

You can get some of the individual power packs from the site. You need to specifically search for 'Power Packs', though; for some strange reason, searching for Monopoly Gamer doesn't bring them up.

Am off around Manitoba today to see if I can find the packs that were sold out on the site.

I was allowed to select the items and put them into my cart but then when I went to checkout it kept removing everything except for the base Collectors edition box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that. I had the same thing happen to me, but was able to add only 3 of them.

I figure it shouldn't be too hard to get the other characters, especially if there are plans for a wider distribution of the game in the future, but the completionist in me wants the whole set, and it'll be nice to have an actual space to store each figure.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I consider this a game more as a family game to play with my kids. In fact, eventually it will probably be more their game than mine.

Standard edition is more than fine for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhdrill wrote:

I... thought that might be the case. I guess my local Toys 'R' Us put theirs out too early.

I bought the standard version early this week. I hadn't heard of it before seeing it in the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhdrill wrote:
Uhdrill wrote:

... plus Bowser.

I totally feel this is worth $21 and a week of shipping but that has to be a personal decision.

Just an FYI, couldn't believe how quickly my copy arrived (ordered Saturday, arrived Tuesday @ 2pm) but there was an $18 customs fee added on as well, so the total cost was $91 CAD. Still happy, but want to warn others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuyang Pang
Canada
flag msg tools
Uhdrill wrote:
Just an FYI, couldn't believe how quickly my copy arrived (ordered Saturday, arrived Tuesday @ 2pm) but there was an $18 customs fee added on as well, so the total cost was $91 CAD. Still happy, but want to warn others.

I'll just double what Matt had just said.
I ordered mine on Friday, and it had arrived on Tuesday, bringing along the same $18 customs fee.

To add on as a heads up, EB Games is doing a promo where if you buy 8 power packs you get 3/8 for free. This is a limited time offer though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.