Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying that this is ripped-off or plagiarism or anything, but the similarity is striking. An homage maybe? Or am I just seeing things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any similarity besides the fact, that both covers have crystal on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
Not saying that this is ripped-off or plagiarism or anything, but the similarity is striking. An homage maybe? Or am I just seeing things?

I instantly thought it was a Dark Crystal based game when I saw this in one of the news feeds, based on the crystal and the typeface used. It was brought up before too in the comments for one of the images in the DB:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3385958/dice-forge

The question was what crystals had to do with the game in the first place (not sure if that was ever answered anywhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I don't see any similarity besides the fact, that both covers have crystal on it.

The crystal on the cover of the film box is a bad example of what Jeff refers to, as the crystal in-movie (and on all the promotional material from the 80s and following merchandise) is very similar to the image of the crystal of the cover on the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
If the game was called The dark crystal maybe it could sell more copies, but the game has nothing to do with a dark crystal (unless there's some promotional card or expansion coming up that features a dark crystal). It could be called many other things, but calling it Dice forge doesn't talk about the theme but the mechanic, it's like if Dominion had been called Deck forge, or like if chess had been called Pieces mover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
rattkin wrote:

The crystal on the cover of the film box is a bad example of what Jeff refers to, as the crystal in-movie (and on all the promotional material from the 80s and following merchandise) is very similar to the image of the crystal of the cover on the game box.

Thanks Jeff! The Dark Crystal has an irregular, but very distinct shape, and the crystal on the game box instantly made me think of it. But, I chose this pic specifically because there are other elements too that stand out. The font style is very similar (the "R" is nearly identical), and the frame around the crystal, while not identical, bears some resemblance.

EDIT: Thanks also for the link to the image thread. Hadn't noticed the discussion there. It's exactly what I was talking about.

Yes, it may all be coincidence, and I may just be seeing Jesus Christ in a burnt piece of toast, but the crystal, the font, and the border, all add up to Dark Crystal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thank god someone finally said it. i've been thinking this since i first saw it. it's actually a major selling point for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
I also thought it was a Dark Crystal based game from the cover. This and the recent news about the Netflix Dark Crystal series helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came back from seeing the the movie in the theater and I just had to report how weird it was watching the movie, seeing the Dice Forge cover floating on screen.

Other connection is that there's a crystal ball effect on the cover, just like in the surface of the dark crystal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.