Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Value of blue relic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I wonder why I should ever use this item.
Rolling a blue die, there is 50% chance nothing happens, 30% chance to gain 1 soulrank, and 20% chance to lose 1 soulrank.
Well I'll take 25 crowns any day with such poor odds.
Am I missing something ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Item descriptions from the Treasure deck should have *spoiler* in the thread title and spoiler tags in the posting, imho.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
At Soulrank 3, you have a 30% chance of gaining 16 Soul Points and a 20% chance of losing 9 Soul Points, that's a net gain of 3.0 Soul Points.

You could save it for Act II, and the expected value would be even higher:

(3/10)*(L+1)^2 - (2/10)*L^2 = (1/10)*(L^2+6L+3).

That's 7.5 Soul Points at L=6.

My experience is that Soul Points are harder to get and Crowns are pretty abundant, but the reason the game gives you a choice is you can pick what seems more valuable to you, not what seems more valuable to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David... I added spoilers, fair comment!
I understand where you are coming from with this statistical analysis, and sure on average one is winning something. However the loss is considerable when it happens, especially at high rank. This in my mind completely offsets the potential benefit you are alluding to.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
This in my mind completely offsets the potential benefit you are alluding to.


As I said, this is why the game gives you a choice. Your decision might be different than mine. If everyone made the same decisions, games would be pretty damn boring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
I suspect it also lets you break the "no advancing in SR until everyone is the same SR rule".

That in itself can be valuable if the next tier means stronger powers or better survivability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
I suspect it also lets you break the "no advancing in SR until everyone is the same SR rule".


No.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many different Relics in this kingdom...
Some of them can be used together to improve their effects
Be patient...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm I see, thanks for the hint Simone!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.