Subject: Blitz combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
It's clear to me that only armor units can Blitz move or pursue but what about the first Blitz attack? Can infantry that entered the Blitz hex with the armor actually be the unit that fights the first round instead of the armor stacked with it? Or any other round for that matter?

If so it seems odd that the slowest infantry doesn't get charged as with the slowest armor to reach the hex is on the Blitz marker. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, its perfectly fine to have accompanying infantry fight in the combat round while keeping the armor ready to roll forward.
whatever happens, the infantry will stay behind in the hex thats why tracking their movement is not necessary.
you would still turn the blitz counter for additional rounds of combat as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Just seems wrong that an infantry unit say 6 hexes from the Blitz hex can join the battle without affecting the blitz marker and armor that was much closer does have to pay. Whether any armor actually does any Blitz move or pursue it still had to wait for the more distant unit to come up and that takes time.

Also I kind of believe that the armor should lead the ground attack to sort of feel like a true Blitz even though combat in a hex stack is abstracted with this one vs. one attack system. At the least armor losses will be lower than I might expect. Not sure I like that infantry can lead blitz attacks but perhaps that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its actually a real tactic to keep armor in reserve until a breakthrough is achieved and only then send the fresh armor through the gap to blitz. Sure sometimes its both armor units attacking and other armor units blitzing but not always.
The movement represents a factor of time/exhaustion, its possible to have the infantry perform a night/morning attack and send the armor in the afternoon, so there is no reason to keep infantry movement at same level as the armor movement as they didnt start moving at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Sure but it still required time for the more distant infantry units to move up in my example. If an armor unit started three clear terrain hexes away from a battle the whole Blitz assault is reduced to 1 on the marker. Not so for the more distant infantry. I guess for me it's a distance traveled and time expended thing that all units in the hex should have to honor. But again perhaps that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Another issue comes up with blitz combat. A unit can attack after using up all its movement. If a blitz counter has "1" showing, can the armor under it move into a clear hex and execute a blitz attack? Or since the blitz marker will be reduced for both the movement and "the combat to come" is such a move illegal? I initially thought it was illegal but changed my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
@Jim

I say illegal if it is a Pursuit. However if the new hex is Blitz Moved to and a response move occurs then combat can occur.

While non Blitzing units can indeed attack after using all their movement they can only do one attack per turn. Blitzing units are allowed to, by virtue of the Pursuit, make another attack in a potentially different hex as long as it is paid for. Blitz movers can technically attack also but in that case the enemy by response moving eats the cost of the battle which he didn't have to engage in but this does end any further Blitz movement by those units that were responded to.

Does this seem correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Jack, that's logical and may be right but I think it could go either way. I'm not convinced. I think players should agree on which interpretation they will use before starting play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the blitz rules say that pursuit is impossible if the remaining blitz factor is too small to permit the move and for this both the move cost and the 1-point for the battle are considered for this move.
so i would say you must be able to pay for the round of combat as well or pursuit is impossible.

for response movement, then you only need to pay for the move itself, not for the round of combat though it is deducted from the remaining blitz factors if applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Bogiatzoglou
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
When an armor blitz and continues to blitz also this do the air that support it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
@ Vasilis

Definitely yes to either or both Blitz Pursuit or Movement ( assuming more than one armor unit and support units are present). This is what makes the attack so deadly in that it could easily result in the destruction of not only weak units but also very powerful ones such as the Russian Shock armies.

I'll even do you one better--Naval supporters can too! Be careful of range though for both the air and naval units doing this. If they follow attacking ground units but can't get back to a base in the Return and Transfer phase of your turn they would be destroyed! My only question here is whether it's legal to suicide a supporting unit like this if the player wanted to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
@ Angelus

A bit of a clarification is in order here for me.

[q]for response movement, then you only need to pay for the move itself, not for the round of combat though it is deducted from the remaining blitz factors if applicable.[/q]

The last part of that above statement: Does not Response movement to a Blitz Mover (not Pursuer) halt all further movement regardless of any remaining Blitz points? Blitz Movement (again not Blitz Pursuit) is defined as an extension of regular movement and response movement stops all movement. IMHO Blitz Movement is not exempt. Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Barrington

California
msg tools
Rule 11.7.2.4 last sentence "Battles caused by response movement during blitz movement are not marked with a blitz unit." so yes it ends the blitz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.