Hide
3 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Chapter 9 story is odd? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
First, yeah,it's actually really interesting game mechanics, but Vurst switching allegiance back and forth throughout the Chapter is just ... odd? I wish that there had been some mind control magic explanation written in to the story or something, otherwise it just seems silly that the mice continue to accept him as an ally after he's already tried to kill them, sided with them, and then turned on them again and again.

The other main story oddity is that Nez is specifically excluded as a mouse you can play in this chapter (because he's leading the other 3 mice in Chapter 10) and yet he features prominently in the story moment that starts the chapter.

Another minor oddity as when you get to the end and Tilda and Filch both show up in the final story moment in spite of the chapter being limited to only Collin and one other mouse.

Then a bit of a shrug at the end as big V showed up in all her evilness and ... Lily fired a shot at her with her bow, scored only 1 hit, but Vanestra rolled no shields , so that was kind of an anti-climactic end to the chapter. laugh

This is a really good game, but I find myself wishing that the story had been tied to the mechanics a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you beat it so easily, you are to be congratulated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
I don't think it's worthy of congratulations, It was just luck like I said, Lily couldn't make it to the flip space (actually she could have on a scurry, but I had misread the chapter end condition rule and thought that exiting required using an explore action) so she fired off a shot instead, rolled a single hit and V rolled no shields.

Reading some other accounts of the chapter, it seems that we had good luck on the Chapter in general though to beat it on the first try.

I just think that this chapter is a bit of bad design in an otherwise good game, the story and mechanics are at odds, There's also the fact that it's a 3 player chapter (not an issue for us, as we have only 3 players anyway) and if you had 4 regular players one of them is going to be left sitting out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.