Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In this sewer, there's a line of water that runs adjacent to the door in the hall:

Are you allowed to move through the water around the door? There's no wall showing. Is it meant to be a sewer stream under the wall (assuming there is one)? If so, what happens if you and a Monster are opposite each other in the water hexes next to the door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Ubergeek, you can't move through the water to bypass the door. Think of it as there's a metal grate which allows the water to stream past the wall, but you can't get through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So could I summon something through it onto the other side? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Pretty sure you can't do that either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, what TrangVP said. You can find an older thread on this too:

Cephalofair wrote:
It's a wall. Consider the two water hexes to be separate tiles, so you've still got the one-dimensional wall between them.

(source)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Walt Mulder wrote:
So could I summon something through it onto the other side? whistle

You can't summon on water anyway as it's not an empty hex. The only hexes considered emoty with overlays on them are corridor tiles or pressure plates. Coins are not Empty easier. This might be important for scenario 18 as it sometimes makes things a little easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bernth Johannesson
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therobbot wrote:
The only hexes considered emoty with overlays on them are corridor tiles or pressure plates.

Open doors are also considered empty hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Right, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I think you people are wrong. The water tiles have purple outlines. The water is Difficult Terrain. It takes two movement points to move to each water square, making it desirable to open the door for quicker movement.

And remember, in order to start scenario #18, we already have water breathing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was thinking along those lines as well. And really, I don't see a dark "wall" line between those water tiles. But if that were the case and you went through the water instead of the door, when do you spawn the room's monsters?

Also to all, thanks for the reminder that you can only summon in"clear spaces". The same would apply to monsters as well, potentially disallowing an ooze to spawn in a corridor if it's next to water and you're in front of it (nowhere to spawn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
I think you people are wrong. The water tiles have purple outlines. The water is Difficult Terrain. It takes two movement points to move to each water square, making it desirable to open the door for quicker movement.

See my post above. There is a wall there separating those water tiles; hence, the presence of the doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:

First, you don't need water breathing to start Abandoned Sewers-- no need to spoiler, as anyone this far either doesn't care about spoilers or has completed Abandoned Sewers, which mentions "some way to breath underwater" at the conclusion. Also, what does water breathing have to do with walls? I'm not following.

Yes, those are difficult terrain, but you can't have a door without walls to hold it up!! shake There's never a need for a free standing door-- except for at Monsters Inc. on the scare floor. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I apologize for my incorrect comment about water breathing. I was really confused.

I would like an official ruling about whether there is an invisible wall between those two water tiles that are next to the door. I do not think we have ever been told exactly what a door tile is. A door tile could consist of a door plus the mechanisms for holding the door in place.

I do not think that Scenario #18 has its own entry in the FAQ. But if there is a wall between those two water tiles, I would like to see a FAQ errata telling us draw it into the book.

And by the way, I think this scenario is very interesting to play, according to my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
I would like an official ruling about whether there is an invisible wall between those two water tiles that are next to the door. I do not think we have ever been told exactly what a door tile is. A door tile could consist of a door plus the mechanisms for holding the door in place.

It was given several posts up. Then Yoda DoctaWho responded to you redirecting you to his post whistle

DoctaWho wrote:
Aye, what TrangVP said. You can find an older thread on this too:

Cephalofair wrote:
It's a wall. Consider the two water hexes to be separate tiles, so you've still got the one-dimensional wall between them.

(source)

If two tiles ever touch, there is a wall on the tile. If the scenario doesn't want one there, a corridor tile[s] is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
tobyr21, we do have an official ruling. The post that DoctaWho quoted above is Isaac's (Cephalofair is Isaac).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If two tiles ever touch, there is a wall on the tile

Yes, that's correct per the rules. But in this scenario two tiles don't touch. Its all on one tile. I put a 2-water overlay piece down. And yes you need a wall to hold up the door but you also need a passage under it where water flows through. It was never clear in the scenario that you couldn't go under the water using four movement and popping up on the other side.

I'm glad to see it all cleared up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Walt Mulder wrote:

Also to all, thanks for the reminder that you can only summon in"clear spaces". The same would apply to monsters as well, potentially disallowing an ooze to spawn in a corridor if it's next to water and you're in front of it (nowhere to spawn).

Careful. It's summoning, not spawning. If a monster is to spawn on a hex that's not empty, to my knowledge it spawns in the nearest possible hex instead. Summoning has to be adjacent to the summoner, though. Those oozes are summoning, not spawning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Okay,
I accept DoctaWho's ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:
If two tiles ever touch, there is a wall on the tile

Yes, that's correct per the rules. But in this scenario two tiles don't touch. Its all on one tile. I put a 2-water overlay piece down.

Underneath the two-hex water tile is H1B joining H3b-- that's two map tiles, not one. Difficult terrain tiles are not corridor tiles (used to connect).

Also, it doesn't tell you where to use the two water overlay tiles, you just obviously need them. I personally used them in a way that didn't over lap the two map tiles.

TBH, the "tiles used" section should have shown two-hex water with the 1-hex water. I spent some time looking for more single hex ones (what's shown) thinking I lost tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
Okay,
I accept DoctaWho's ruling.

Isaac's ruling, DoctaWho's post about it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.