Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this post, I decided to make some High Frontier rockets and other pieces using Lego. Results follow.

The world of buying specific Lego pieces is a deep and dark one which I encountered for the first time. I eventually made a few discoveries:

-- The Lego Digital Designer program is no longer supported, which means the list of pieces is out of date
-- Designing something cool is worthless if the pieces you use aren't actually made in those colors
-- Some Lego pieces are crazy expensive

I ended up using the stud.io designer, which reads in .lxf files and links to Bricklink.com for what is available. (I have no idea if this is the best designer out there, just the one I fell into.) I'm uploading my files and will link here when they are approved. EDIT: file is here.

I have yet to play with these so cannot vouch for their practicality. I suspect there will be some accommodation necessary, but it seems worth it. It is at least possible to have all 5 Bernals at their starting points on the large board:

Ersatz Bernals could also be used as regular Bernals if desired:

Generally speaking, stuff fits well on the large board. I created more visible flags for claims and assumed they would be replaced by factories (which does require some extra memory when doing VP, but that doesn't seem like a big deal).

The best part, of course, is that if you don't like your rocket, build a new one!

There are more images in the gallery (or will be once they are hopefully approved), including some shots of how these look on the smaller board (which I suspect would not work well in actual play). I also took a couple pictures of how I'm storing all this.

Remember, failure is not an option!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lewis
Wales
Penmaenmawr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Why can I only thumb this once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Generally speaking, stuff fits well on the large board. I created more visible flags for claims and assumed they would be replaced by factories (which does require some extra memory when doing VP, but that doesn't seem like a big deal).

All those models are very very cool. On this point, however, with mobile factories, you can have a factory at a site with no claim disc, so you need to be able to distinguish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
galfridus wrote:

All those models are very very cool. On this point, however, with mobile factories, you can have a factory at a site with no claim disc, so you need to be able to distinguish.

Yeah, I know there are some edge cases. Probably easier to tweak the claim-less factory design to make it obvious (put a thruster on the bottom for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS... USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I stopped at Lego ships, but the claims, factories, etc all look quite nice, too. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stephans
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went down the same road but abandoned it after a few days of not being able to get the pieces in the right colors nor being able to get good flags. Were you able to get flags (like the red ones shown) in all colors? And (ballpark) how much was it to get the pieces?

I tried to use a few apps to buy online but it was quite unintuitive to me. Did you use something like bricklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mstephans wrote:
I went down the same road but abandoned it after a few days of not being able to get the pieces in the right colors nor being able to get good flags. Were you able to get flags (like the red ones shown) in all colors? And (ballpark) how much was it to get the pieces?

I was able to get flags in all colors but orange (they have "light orange", otherwise known to me as "yellow"). So for orange I made a reasonable substitute:

Ballpark to get all the pieces is "not cheap", although I did have a large Lego collection as a starting point. The same piece in a rarer color can be significantly more, and I had to abandon some designs for that reason. (That's the worst thing about designing on the computer; it will tell you a piece is available and not mention it's $3.00!) The other problem is shipping. Shipping is fine for one vendor, but when the pieces you need are split between ten vendors, it becomes a problem.

My advice would be to start small (with what you have if you have any) and experiment first. I also designed a bunch of really really cool rockets and Bernals that were way too big and had to be scrapped.

Quote:
I tried to use a few apps to buy online but it was quite unintuitive to me. Did you use something like bricklist?

I used Bricklink which is pretty good. You can create a wishlist (directly from stud.io or a Lego Digital Designer export), then create an order for that wishlist. (That process is simple...until the order needs to be split and then it can get laborious.) There may be better sites, Bricklink is the one I found first and it served my purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stephans
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.