Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2...

Now any resident can challenge materials used in public school on the grounds that it is not suited to student needs and their ability to comprehend the material presented. Affadvits by supporters indicate that - appallingly - evolution is being taught as reality. The affidavits also appear to advocate removal of library books teaching such subjects.

Schools will now need an "unbiased hearing officer" to decide such (presumably unending) requests from every Tom, Dick, and Harry* in Florida. One wonders what unbiased means in this context. A familiarization with creation myths? A belief in them along with a science degree? A Christian scientist? Not to mention the costs involved. Is Florida floating in school funding?

I cannot remember a more stupid law in recent memory. How can anyone who wants small government and liberty be in favor of this? Oh wait...

*so sexist of me. Edit: And every Nancy, Jane, and Mary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I call that the comment-sectionification of politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it more as the over-presumption of equality.

Yes, we have, more or less*, equal rights and an equal right to choose our leaders, but that does not mean our opinions have the same value. My opinion about whether this DNA matches that DNA is worthless (though I assume I could learn). Their opinion on evolution--well, evolution really isn't that hard, but they aren't even trying to think about it.

*All sorts of things, like inherited wealth give some people more rights than others. Various things disallow voting, from conviction of a felony to profound dementia; or youth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another chapter in the death of expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest test of this is ask these people if they would like Hindu creationism, Shinto creationism, et al. taught as just as viable as Chistian creationism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the key part of the article

Quote:
The legislation, which was signed by Gov. Rick Scott (R) this week and goes into effect Saturday, requires school boards to hire an “unbiased hearing officer” who will handle complaints about instructional materials, such as movies, textbooks and novels, that are used in local schools. Any parent or county resident can file a complaint, regardless of whether they have a student in the school system. If the hearing officer deems the challenge justified, he or she can require schools to remove the material in question.

Enacting the law is phase one. Making sure that their allies are put into the positions of the "unbiased hearing officer" is phase two. Evolution, climate change, the causes of the civil war, all these things are about to take on a different meaning in the curriculum of the "great" state of Florida

Edit: So the "unbiased hearing officer" should be more properly called the "religious/social thought police". We are closer to "1984" that even I thought possible. Thank you GOP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Nice.

I'm already looking to get out of FL after living here the vast majority of my 50 years. Change in climate is a big reason (we own quite a few rental properties and will probably sell them before too long before values tank, not to mention it's miserably hot all year as it is...), but political idiocy is a close second. Our governor and local governments are horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Face it, there are a lot of people who don't like it when their ignorance, biases, superstitions, bigotry, misogyny, and racism is challenged. These people are now banding together, gathering political clout, and conducting a reactionary campaign to return things to the way they were, circa 1955, when everything was great, especially (only) if you were a straight white Anglo-Saxon Protestant male. These people are America's version of the Taliban, a bunch of religiously motivated fanatics trying to push back the hands of time and reverse the progress of the last 50 years. And in some ways, they may be winning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Face it, there are a lot of people who don't like it when their ignorance, biases, superstitions, bigotry, misogyny, and racism is challenged. These people are now banding together, gathering political clout, and conducting a reactionary campaign to return things to the way they were, circa 1955, when everything was great, especially (only) if you were a straight white Anglo-Saxon Protestant male. These people are America's version of the Taliban, a bunch of religiously motivated fanatics trying to push back the hands of time and reverse the progress of the last 50 years. And in some ways, they may be winning...

...Dominionism
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Face it, there are a lot of people who don't like it when their ignorance, biases, superstitions, bigotry, misogyny, and racism is challenged. These people are now banding together, gathering political clout, and conducting a reactionary campaign to return things to the way they were, circa...

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

...Dominionism

As time passes James's posts concerning Dominionism are getting closer and closer to reality. We have crap like this occurring, we have anti-protest legislation being attempted in over twenty states, we have conservative states and governors trying to undermine the Obergefell ruling at every turn, and we have the religious pushing more and more to be able to discriminate against others as a religious exemption to be enacted as law, and we have the SC ruling that it's ok to fund church projects where overt religious activities occur, and we have an aging SC where most of the reasonable judges are coming quickly to retirement with a near fascist president in power, and we have an EPA that is willing to dismiss scientists from their advisory boards to satisfy their corporate cronies, and we have a big push to eliminate the Johnson amendment that prevents churches from basically becoming Super Pacs for the candidate of their choice, and we have an administration that's willing to collude with Russians to gain power, etc...

If you have been ignoring James's posts, because of his online persona, you really owe it to yourself to check them out and actually read their content. Which is sadly, fast becoming closer to the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2...

Now any resident can challenge materials used in public school on the grounds that it is not suited to student needs and their ability to comprehend the material presented. Affadvits by supporters indicate that - appallingly - evolution is being taught as reality. The affidavits also appear to advocate removal of library books teaching such subjects.

Schools will now need an "unbiased hearing officer" to decide such (presumably unending) requests from every Tom, Dick, and Harry* in Florida. One wonders what unbiased means in this context. A familiarization with creation myths? A belief in them along with a science degree? A Christian scientist? Not to mention the costs involved. Is Florida floating in school funding?

I cannot remember a more stupid law in recent memory. How can anyone who wants small government and liberty be in favor of this? Oh wait...

*so sexist of me. Edit: And every Nancy, Jane, and Mary.

Hey, they could hire me! I'm unbiased! When it comes to science, I have a definite bias towards the truth! This job could be a lot of fun, telling parent after parent after parent, "Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I have conducted a thorough investigation, and am pleased to inform you what is being taught is proper science. Please be assured that you need have no worries; your child is receiving at our school the high quality science education which has made our school one of the most renowned in Florida. Your vigilance is greatly appreciated; please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if you have any further concerns."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Oh, shreve convinced me very easily, but then I already believed in a vast right wing conspiracy known as the Family or the Foundation.

I stopped reading or even skimming his posts because he isn't nice and they're too long.

But I believed. It seemed quite likely.

I didn't flee the country in 2013 over this, it was economics. My wife is Thai and still had family here. We live quit well on $1800 a month. We have the nicest used car I've ever owned, etc.

In a way I'm glad I'm not there, I do feel bad for America.

But, I have been trying to get everyone to listen for 40 years. It isn't my fault. I failed to be able to turn the tide, but then can one man really expect to win against the tide?

Finally, some people seem to be awakening to the situation, but it may be too late. It isn't even just America, the whole world has done nothing about the coming collapse for 40 years. De Nile is not a river in Egypt. It is what has maybe doomed you all.

It is said that Nobody likes 'an I told you so'. Well, nobody ever liked me so I guess that is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One wonders what the legislation says about how an “unbiased hearing officer” is chosen or who exactly would qualify. I suspect it's going to be the local right wingnut parent who volunteers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:

Hey, they could hire me! I'm unbiased! When it comes to science, I have a definite bias towards the truth! This job could be a lot of fun, telling parent after parent after parent, "Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I have conducted a thorough investigation, and am pleased to inform you what is being taught is proper science. Please be assured that you need have no worries; your child is receiving at our school the high quality science education which has made our school one of the most renowned in Florida. Your vigilance is greatly appreciated; please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if you have any further concerns."

But how many will hire "I don't really understand the subject but I feel...." followed by "back when I was in school" and "a parent knows best"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.