Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've read reports of this game being much shorter than other iterations of Monopoly, but my first play through actually rivaled time lengths of other very few times Monopoly was played. This was mostly due to Bosses not being defeated.

From my understanding of the rules, all players may continue to fight the boss as long as they pass go and choose to fight (as opposed to "passing" the boss fight). We could just not roll above 3 for the longest time for a boss, and the game dragged on.

Did we interpret the rule incorrectly? I thought bosses either were gained once a player first defeats it or discarded if ALL players pass. Do all players immediately get a chance to fight the boss regardless of who passes Go, and only until THEN does the boss go away after the two conditions I stated previously? Were we just incredibly unlucky (I mean, it IS still Monopoly)? Would anyone be able to provide further clarification on how to handle the boss rule for the game?

I wanted to like this game, and I feel like I would. That is only if the length was seriously cut down. Of course I can just reduce the amount of boss per game, but this doesn't solve the issue I've elaborated upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landing on, or passing, GO triggers a boss fight round for everybody. Starting with the triggering player, everybody takes turns fighting paying and dropping out until either the boss is defeated or everybody has dropped out. THEN, the next person takes a regular turn. In a 4p game, players will in total between them hit or pass GO only 8 times, triggering 8 boss fights, ending the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rucker

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA
California
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone passes on a boss, the boss escapes and that boss card is removed from the game.

In other words. A boss fight is a phase that happens at the end of the active players turn. The turn does not pass to the next player until the boss battle is resolved (resolution is binary: boss is defeated or all players pass and boss escapes).

Furthermore, if the active player passes or fails to beat the boss, other players may also attempt to fight or pass in turn order - this is still part of the boss fight and not a function of player order passing.

A players turn starts when they roll the dice and ends when they pass the dice or when the boss battle he or she triggered is resolved (including completing the bonus action on the boss card if the boss is defeated by any player)

Returning a boss to the stack will extend the game tremendously and isn't recommended if your goal is to have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
You are doing it wrong. This game was much shorter than normal monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for explaining! We'll try again using the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game ends so quickly, does that leave the value of the properties kind of underwhelming since there are so few opportunities for people to even land on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yudichak
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hansolo88 wrote:
If the game ends so quickly, does that leave the value of the properties kind of underwhelming since there are so few opportunities for people to even land on them?

The properties are also worth points for end-game scoring. So, it's not just about rent in this version (although that's a nice little bonus if/when it happens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So does losing to a boss count as passing for purposes of discarding the boss?

If all players either pass or lose then the boss is discarded?

Or if you lose and no one else beats the boss do you get another opportunity to fight or pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No passing and losing are different. As long as players have the coins they can keep trying (hence bowser jr can really rack up some coinage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Lujan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
passing and losing are different. if you lose, you get to try again once turn order goes around. if you pass, youre completely backing out of the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.