Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm considering hauling this game to a meet up with 5 players total. The community rating on here for 5 players is split between recommended and not. Usually >40% not recommended would have me not bothering.

However in the case of LE:Alien I can see from forum history that the later Predator game came with a table suggesting certain card quantities be added for differing player counts. The cards being added into objective decks look to be equivalent to Drones here. Also the rule book states to take a "preparation" turn each in a 5 player game.

So is the 5 player rating based on a load of votes prior to the tweak being
largely negative, because the game is so hard, and votes using the above rule tweaks being positive?

As a bunch of 30 and 40 somethings we grew up with Aliens (not literally), so it would be great if the game works with 5.

Appreciate people's thoughts, recommendations, experiences etc. Also interested to hear what the play time is with 5.

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
We tried a few games with five. Playing time was between
30 - 90 minutes, depends how long everybody was alive.
The game works but it's hard with five. We never win,
but lot's of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that the game is more fun with fewer players simply because there is less downtime than with more players. Since you get to play more often you also get to improve your deck more, which is fun.

I haven't played with the Predator stuff, so I don't know how that changes things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in the Alien expansion rules sheet for updated number of drones per player. Also, if the group is new to the game I would recommend another preparation turn or giving each player a Sergeant of their choice before starting the game. The Sergeants are very useful in the early game, but I have seen new players going for the seemingly more powerful cards in the barracks first too many times. When playing with large player counts we have only beat the game when we went round the table buying co-ordinate cards the first one or two rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five-Player lacks some of the fun of the other player counts because the Aliens advance faster than you can develop a deck, but personally I still find it enjoyable.

You should definitely play with the balance changes from Predator/Aliens Expansion, but don't expect to win often, even with the updated card count.

Make sure everyone has some Coordinate cards in their deck before too many turns into the game.

Also, certain Avatars are really good for five player games. Commander will get some Sergeants and still allow the player to build his deck, Mercenary can sometimes do emergency Combat Zone clearing, and Medic will provide semi-reliable healing. Scout isn't a bad choice either since you'll more than often need to fight what's in the Combat Zone and not have much Attack for scanning, while a Synthetic can build a deck and not worry too much about concentrating on a single color, which is what the other four players are likely to build for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter J Burke
msg tools
mbmbmb
5-player is awesome. But brutal.
Use the drone chart and you'll all have fun.

(From Alien Queen Expansion Rulebook)

I would even suggest everyone gets 2 free turns before the hive starts.

Two useful rules you could use depending on how your game goes:

1) If a player dies from strikes early, use the defense rating as armor to keep them in the game longer.
2) If a player dies early from a chestburster and you don't want an Alien player, kill their avatar and barrack cards, they choose a new avatar and start again - like a reinforcement. It eliminates player elimination, but it's still tough to win because that player brings hive cards but may not be able to kill any... still easier than an Alien player.

Lastly: do quotes from the movies, joke around and have fun. Even if you lose, you'll have fun dying.

Please post a review of how your game goes! good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried having the secret agendas, face hugger > chest burster > xenomorph players once and the gane went soooo long. So it quickly turned people off of LE at mine and I never get to go more than 3 now.

If your playing with agendas sometimes when you find out half way through your evil you then have to immediately do a U turn on the co op parts, which in turn everyone just lets you get killed so they can win. If you turn into a Xeno your cards are crazy strong against other players and you just wreck and effort you helped with getting to where they were in the game so people found that frustrating, weve since retired the base set xeno from the game, Ive yet to play the alien queen mode in the expansion but hear its more balanced as your both playing the gane still.

So far 3 player is my preferred way to play If I get choice. Solo being amazing fun too! 4 players hard and 5 is insane and once you add in extra modes becomes a mish mash of frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all great thanks. That table is the same as the one I saw so that's good that it's crystallised that.

It looks like the game is easily tweaked so I may take the suggestion of 2 prep rounds for the first game. If all goes well we can always go again and revert to one. I like that it gives a bit more chance to craft a deck. I wonder if playing 5 a lot it makes sense to do this and increase difficulty through drones for that reason.

Still seems a bit odd that there's a widely positive response to playing 5 players but the community as a whole is as much against doing so as is for it. Edit... Mike posted whilst I typed this... 😂

Thanks all. Hopefully we'll play and I'll remember to give feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:
We tried having the secret agendas, face hugger > chest burster > xenomorph players once and the gane went soooo long. So it quickly turned people off of LE at mine and I never get to go more than 3 now.

If your playing with agendas sometimes when you find out half way through your evil you then have to immediately do a U turn on the co op parts, which in turn everyone just lets you get killed so they can win. If you turn into a Xeno your cards are crazy strong against other players and you just wreck and effort you helped with getting to where they were in the game so people found that frustrating, weve since retired the base set xeno from the game, Ive yet to play the alien queen mode in the expansion but hear its more balanced as your both playing the gane still.

So far 3 player is my preferred way to play If I get choice. Solo being amazing fun too! 4 players hard and 5 is insane and once you add in extra modes becomes a mish mash of frustration.

We have yet to try the secret agendas, but we do sometimes use the good agenda cards. Everybody gets one at the start of the game . Seems a shame they should just collect dust in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
We have yet to try the secret agendas, but we do sometimes use the good agenda cards. Everybody gets one at the start of the game . Seems a shame they should just collect dust in the box.

The only way I play five player is with secret agendas. Too hard otherwise. We only use good agendas for this though.

I really think four player is the sweet spot on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh so as well as one prep round we could add a random agenda card each into our decks? That would tone down the difficulty a bit presumably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilders typically do not play well with higher player counts because of the downtime between turns. Top that off with the fact that the difficulty in Alien increases with more players, and you have a bad combination in my opinion. I would not even consider playing this game with more than 4, and I would rarely choose to play with more than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on whether or not the players mind down time between turns. If people don't mind -- like if they're interested in what other people do on their turns -- then it's fine. I, myself, really like watching what happens on other people's turns. However, if there are two or three people that get bored with that, they will bring the mood down for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought the Predator version to our game group and played it with 5. It works well with the suggested changes. It depends on the group though as there is certainly a bit more luck and you wont get build as big a deck. I also like it if someone dies they can return with a basic start deck (this actually makes it harder to win but someone isnt just getting bored).

There is lots of working together as a team and one or two decks might "take one for the team" to let other people get super decks and they maybe use up useless cards in the card row or focus on immediate threats.

I think it would work fine with your group. Some find the Legendary style of deck buiders a bit luck heavy - I think there is enough interesting decisions and ways to mitigate the luck that I dont mind but need players ok with sometimes dying without being able to do much about it. It kind of goes along with the coop elements, do you want an artificially solvable puzzle or do you want to die sometimes without much you could do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Deckbuilders typically do not play well with higher player counts because of the downtime between turns. Top that off with the fact that the difficulty in Alien increases with more players, and you have a bad combination in my opinion. I would not even consider playing this game with more than 4, and I would rarely choose to play with more than 3.

I agree with this in general and only ever play dominion, star realms with 2 players.
Alien on the contrary is not only a deckbuilder, but also a coop, and those usually are better with more players, because there is more table talk, more going on etc. Plus Alien does a good job of letting you take part in other players turns through discussion, coordinate etc.

We had some really memorable sessions with 5. Add hidden agendas and you can have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.