Kurt
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saw the demo video from the Dice Tower. So when charging you roll a die to see how far your charge goes in addition to your normal move speed. So with a 4-move unit, your charge could be anywhere between 5 and 10 speed.

Anyone knows what the rationale behind this charge mechanic is? For me it doesn't make a lot of sense thematically...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
msg tools
I think it's a pretty common mechanic. Think of it thematically as not being able to rally your troops into charging an enemy unit. They're not running for the hills, but you're just the general, your men won't always follow your orders to the letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a charge stall out before impact with the enemy is a good thing. The particilar mechanic they have implemented to do that has been used many times before, and it is a "safe" mechanic because of it's familiarity.

I rather wish the game tried to be more faithful to the feel of the univere, though. And for that reason, perhaps other mechanics should be considered.

I suppose this game (so far) feels like a medieval combat game with the ASOIF theme rather than a ASOIF game with a medieval combat theme. The distinction is whether the design thesis errs on the side of providing a uniquely ASOIF experience or not. Thematically, the only unique elements I see are that the units seem to have special abilities that are evocative of the fighting styles for the factions and there are additional sorcual abilities one can use in the form of leaders.

That is all well and good, but doesn't seem to go far enough to successfully suspend my disbelief and make me feel like I'm immersed in the universe. Just an opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rules do not make sense thematically
Ramsar wrote:
Anyone knows what the rationale behind the charge mechanics is? For me it doesn't make a lot of sense thematically...

That is not the only rule that people have their doubts about, see the threads on flanking and automatic hits and an alternative activation system. The discussion goes beyond the activation system, actually, as a gentleman called Chris Montgomery makes some very good suggestions to fix other shortcomings of the game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gomeril Gnak
msg tools
You know nothing, Jon Snow. The problem with a charge is to get the troops going, not connecting with an enemey who does not flee. Alternate activations are stupid as well. Ancient and medieval armies had battle lines (something to do with flanks being vulnerable) which moved as battle lines. Alternative activations lead to a fireworks display of units whizzing of in different directions. Fine for a SciFi army where everybody is connected to tacnet radio. No medieval army had that sort of command control. Doing that to GRRM, who goes out of his way to push dumb Tolkien fans with their noses into gritty medieval realism, is awful, I hope they paid enough wergeld. Take the minis and play Phil Barkers "Hordes of the Things". CMON: Cool minis, our rules not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am concerned by the random charge too. Never liked it in Warhammer and here it is even worst as if you failed the charge you have to do a moral test that damages your unit. Even my old goblins were doing better than that.
It is not cinematic, very frustrating and add a lot of randomness imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Gomeril wrote:
You know nothing, Jon Snow. The problem with a charge is to get the troops going, not connecting with an enemey who does not flee. Alternate activations are stupid as well. Ancient and medieval armies had battle lines (something to do with flanks being vulnerable) which moved as battle lines. Alternative activations lead to a fireworks display of units whizzing of in different directions. Fine for a SciFi army where everybody is connected to tacnet radio. No medieval army had that sort of command control. Doing that to GRRM, who goes out of his way to push dumb Tolkien fans with their noses into gritty medieval realism, is awful, I hope they paid enough wergeld. Take the minis and play Phil Barkers "Hordes of the Things". CMON: Cool minis, our rules not.

No one said it's a medieval simulation... if you want that go play some boring historical game that 7 other people in the world play, then do it and leave us alone. I personally don't need the game to work just like historical battles since it's a GAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voy-tak Krawomms
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epix wrote:
I am concerned by the random charge too. Never liked it in Warhammer and here it is even worst as if you failed the charge you have to do a moral test that damages your unit. Even my old goblins were doing better than that.
It is not cinematic, very frustrating and add a lot of randomness imho.

Take out the randomness by charging only your printed move value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
Charge within your normal move distance and the charge is guaranteed to succeed.
The added random distance is a gamey mechanic used in many games for one reason only; to make it more random and unforseen with the intent to make it more interesting. Opinions go to all corners on this topic but at least in this game you do have your base move guaranteed, some games doesnt even allow that.
I think its a good middleground, forces the player to evaluate the risks of doing a long distance charge.

Alternate activations is perfect and keeps both players in the game throughout the entire turn.
IgoUgo is a boring and dull mechanic that should be left to die long time ago but sadly lingers on in some games refusing to cut it loose.

Alternating activations doesnt force long periods of downtime on either player, removes the possibility of pulling off some one-round-win combo and allows players to react to a dynamic battlefield.

Both these points are some of the things I think this game does absolutely right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.