Subject: Upside down planet names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Stoneman
United Kingdom
W-s-M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've yet to play this but the thought of one player having to read the names upside down bothers me as it's a less than optimal experience for one player. Does anyone have a sheet of planet names in the style of the game that I could print and cut out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
A) every game ever.

B) they're pretty familiar names anyway.

C) how is a list going to help anyone not have to read the board? You still need to see where they are...

D) your game comes with tiny cards with pictures and names of all the planets on them. Stick em on a copier.

E) probably in the file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Interactive Schematic Player Aid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
A) every game ever.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rebels need to read the system names far less often than the Empire does. Only with a couple cards or when moving the base are system names important for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stoneman
United Kingdom
W-s-M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
A) every game ever.

No, not every game ever. Not a helpful comment. Not what I asked.

scifiantihero wrote:
B) they're pretty familiar names anyway.

That's true if you're you, however I'm not. Besides which, you know some people like things a certain way? Well, I'm one of those people and I thought I'd ask my fellow gamers here if they could help me out. If you're not here to help, why exactly are you responding?

scifiantihero wrote:
C) how is a list going to help anyone not have to read the board? You still need to see where they are...

That would be a good question if I'd actually mentioned a list. I was after a pdf of the names in the graphic style of the board so that I can laminate the sheet, cut out the names and stick them to the board under the planets.

scifiantihero wrote:
D) your game comes with tiny cards with pictures and names of all the planets on them. Stick em on a copier.

Wow. Thanks. I couldn't possibly have thought of that myself. I think what I'll do, though, is edit a digital file in Photoshop and print it.

scifiantihero wrote:

No, not in the file section. Hence why I'm asking here.

It looks like this is not something anyone has considered so I'll do it myself. Judging by the responses to this thread so far it seems like sharing it will be pretty pointless, which is a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stoneman
United Kingdom
W-s-M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Interactive Schematic Player Aid

Thanks, Rob. Not quite what I'm after but that looks about as close as anyone's ever got. Thanks for trying to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
LeeJS wrote:
I was after a pdf of the names in the graphic style of the board so that I can laminate the sheet, cut out the names and stick them to the board under the planets.

I don't remember anything like that ever posted on BGG, the closest thing I can think of is a hi-res scan of the whole board, so maybe you can use it to edit out the names:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same way before playing the game. Now that I have played it 3 times, I can safely agree with others that it doesn't really matter. The rebel will look at the board game to choose a starting system (preferably while the Empire is out of the room for any good reason ), as well as when looking for the system of one of the 3 missions that have a specific system mentioned, or the 1 action card. Which is the same as saying: 95% of the time, you don't care about the name of the system.
Now, we could discuss the units symbols, which are upside down for the Rebel, and might as well have been printed upside down on the Rebel player's mat. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the upside down symbols bit only really applies to the triangles, since squares and circles are the same upside down or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
as well as when looking for the system of one of the 3 missions that have a specific system mentioned, or the 1 action card.

...or 1 objective card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Herman92 wrote:
as well as when looking for the system of one of the 3 missions that have a specific system mentioned, or the 1 action card.

...or 1 objective card.

I think Coruscant is pretty easy to find, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
When I'm teaching the game, I say that it's because the Rebels are trying to turn the galaxy upside-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
LeeJS wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
A) every game ever.

No, not every game ever. Not a helpful comment. Not what I asked.

Out curiosity which games have done this better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
I am curious too. I am cracking my head trying to think of a game where this is addressed, but I didn't come up with any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's one, since the OP disappeared... Codenames is an example. I know why they did it (there are a gajillion words and both sides need to be constantly scanning and reading them), but I find the cards do look very odd with words printed on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Battig
Italy
Trieste
Trieste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in this version of the game, Napoleon: The Waterloo campaign addresses the problem in a nifty way, IMO (at least both players have to rotate their heads to the same degree to read the names ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.