Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Janzen
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing my 8 player game of Attack! with the expansion (see my previous Session Report) I was a bit wary of diving right back into this game. I had a friend over to play games and he suggested Attack!, we played Lunar Rails... then he said Attack!, we played Big City... finally I gave in. We played a 2 player game of Attack! and I must say that I enjoyed it alot!

First of all, I have done some thinking about this game and have come to a realization about it. Most people have described it as a war game that lies between Axis & Allis and Risk. The first couple of times playing, something was bothering me about the play, because I had this A&A and Risk thinking in my head. I now personally feel that it is similar to both, however, this game is a game about point grabbing. You don't have to obliterate someone to win (that can be fun, but not nessasary), it's more about achieving objectives that give you the most points, holding on to your points, while hindering the point grabs and taking the points of the other players.

That being said...

I started with my Communist capital in Quebec. He started with his Fascist capital in French West Africa. We also used the optional rule of placing your initial starting pieces on 4 different continents. The random placement of the political disks came up in my favor. There were ALOT of communist countries! My first thought was "I want this game to end as quickly as possible",so that I would get the bonus points for all those communist regions. My friends thinking, being Fascist, was completely opposite. He needed the time to earn some bonuses himself while eliminating mine. It turned out to be later, we played for 3.5 hours.

With 2 players the turns progressed nicely, with no major down time. There were many options that seemed important and we used most of them. The only 2 actions that we didn't use were 'Commerce Raiding' and 'Strategic Bombing'.

The Technology cards were very useful in this game, as well as the Trade Route cards. The Political Action cards were used alot, however the 'Eagle' cards did not come as quickly as I was expecting (as in the 8 player game), only 8 of the 13 needed to end the game were played in our entire game.

Our game proceeded with the early elimination of his units from North and then South America. Eventually, my forces spread to the control of Europe and half of Africa.
Unfortunately, he had to leave before we ended the game (we weren't far from completing it), but it was obvious to both of us that there would be only one outcome and he handed the victory over to me.

Overall, I was very impressed with how this game played with 2 players and would play again with no hesitation. I am now really looking forward to trying this again with 3 or 4 players. I, however, would still be hard to convince to play this with any more players than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.