Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there
A lot of scenarios have the Goal to kill all enemies. What Happen if u are in the Last room and still have a treasure chest to loot and only One enemy left. Does the scenario immediately ends if the last enemy falls or Do u end the round and still have the chance to loot, or Do u can Play as long as u aren't exhausted?
Greetings Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 33

Quote:
Once a scenario’s objective is completed, the remainder of the
round is played out and then the scenario ends.

So you have a little time to loot the treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Weaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have definitely kited an enemy around a couple of times to give someone time to reach a treasure chest and also to help our party of 4 out for a goal by allowing a couple of characters to exhaust. It is within the rules to do so but a bit cheesy. I think wasting rounds to go for treasure chests is in line with the spirit of the game as it is sometimes hard to get them otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did try to do that successfully in scenario 10. It is very difficult to pull out when your heroes are close to exhaustion.

In our case
Spoiler (click to reveal)
2 of our 4 player team are exhausted and the 2 remaining heroes have exactly 1 card to penetrate flame elemental's armour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
msg tools
I can see the benefits of these rules but frankly: nothing is as unrealistic for any RPG party (don't forget - they're mercenaries, not saints) as going into a dungeon, weeping out all enemies and then walking away without touching any loot that hasn't been picked up "in time".

shake

I'm seriously considering to modify this rule for our party.
As mentioned above, I get the picture of creating a certain time constraint in order to get the full benefit; so I'm thinking of something along the following lines:

After killing all enemies - whether it is the scenario goal or not - all non-exausted characters may spend turns reaching and grabbing loot - according to their last initiative.
Each character moves two spaces or can grab one loot. Alternately, they may spend three of those actions to open and loot a chest.
Every loot is only worth one gold piece "since everyone is in a hurry". Chests contain their normal loot.

Like that, the prey is divided in terms of first come first serve without taking away the advantage of looting during combat.

What are your thoughts on it?

Cheers,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@albi69: I think this would ruin the game balance. Scenarios would become easier, items less precious. Balancing the scenario goal with the desire to loot everything is one of the most interesting parts of the game for me.
I agree that it's not realistic, but I don't care as long as the gameplay is exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Biesiadowski
msg tools
Running into room full of vicious monsters, having all escapes blocked by them, then throwing arms in the air and saying 'guys, I'm exhausted, let me out, I'll come back in few days to try to kill you again, just make sure to to back to same places you started on previous time and wait for me' - ok.

Running out of time/willpower in cursed dungeon to loot every last gold piece laying in corner of dark room - unrealistic

I'm trying to say that this game requires a lot bigger suspension of disbelief than not looting things at the end. Reason why it bugs you is this guy, rather than any realism issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
albi69 wrote:
I can see the benefits of these rules but frankly: nothing is as unrealistic for any RPG party (don't forget - they're mercenaries, not saints) as going into a dungeon, weeping out all enemies and then walking away without touching any loot that hasn't been picked up "in time".

They're not dead, they're only resting.
And as soon as you get excited about the fact you've finished the scenario, they take advantage of the distraction and run away as fast as their little legs can carry them.

Or, their bigger, nastier, and generally meaner neighbours turn up to see what all the ruckus is, so you decide to make a diplomatic exit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Personally I just can't buy into what all the fuss about. If leaving loot on the ground is unrealistic, then how's this for unrealistic: every monster you kill (except summons) drop exactly one coin. What use would bears, snakes, blobs of ooze, old rusty pieces of artillery and more than half the monster types in this game have for coins? And why is it always exactly one coin of the exact same size/value? Shouldn't bandits be carrying a whole lot more coins than a snake? Hang on ... how are these coins dropping from snakes in the first place? They certainly aren't just carrying them around in those hands and pockets they don't have, so did the snake accidentally ingest a coin, and somehow we have the time in battle to cut it upon the extract a coin? How the heck did it turn out that every single snake in this world happens coincidentally to have ingested one coin of the same size/value each?

If we really cared so much about realism, there are plenty of harder things to believe, yet we are happy to suspend our belief because ... well, we all like loot, don't we Funny how a gameplay mechanic that denies us the loot is somehow the more unbelievable one ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to me how often this suggestion comes up. It's like every single person who has thought of it didn't think one step in the future about why it wouldn't be good for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@albi69: How about using your variant and increasing the cost of everything in the game by 5 gold? That way, the looting at the end makes a little more thematic sense, but game balance is not affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
TrangVP wrote:
Personally I just can't buy into what all the fuss about.
But what do the vermlings do with all those coins they pick up?!?!?! No matter how many coins they pick up when you kill them they only drop one coin, and what about the mindthief when he steals a coin the monster still drops a coin, what foul magic is this??!!?!?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm not even going to mention swap... err.. oops...
VERMLINGS HAX'S!!!!!

How did the vermling steal a coin from the snake?

As Trang says it is what it is, roll with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a board game at it's core. Not a role playing game. It has abstract license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Daemon6 I don't think anyone's asking for the same level of realism that's in a role playing game. They are just noting where small improvements could be made, while trying to preserve the balance of the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You are free to "improve" the game to your liking. Sounds to me that this thread (which is posted on the rules forum) is turning into more of a rant on how the game is unrealistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
Sounds to me that this thread (which is posted on the rules forum) is turning into more of a rant on how the game is unrealistic.

After the first two posts, the rules part of the thread was done. Question asked, question answered. No one disputes that the answer is correct.

The rest of this thread has just been further discussion on the whys and wherefores of this rule. It's sort of like if you ask the teacher a question after class and the teacher answers you. Some people, satisfied, will just leave. But others like to stick around and have a discussion about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Daemon6 wrote:
Sounds to me that this thread (which is posted on the rules forum) is turning into more of a rant on how the game is unrealistic.

I think you're misunderstanding many people's responses.

One person said they think "nothing is as unrealistic" as the fact that loot isn't picked up at the end of a scenario, so much so they wanted to vary the rule. Everyone else, including myself, has responded simply to point out that there are plenty of other unrealistic things that nobody complains about (including the fact that loot drops at all). This is not to rant about the game being unrealistic. To the contrary, it's in defence of the rule about end of scenario looting, ie saying that the realism justification for house ruling doesn't really hold.

People are free to modify the game as they please. But I will defend the rule whenever anyone tries to justify house-ruling to themself on the asserted basis that its thematically flawed, rather than being honest about what it really is all about -- they just want more loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note, this has been covered in other threads multiple times. Including thematic explanations, which people maybe tired of reposting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for most players the game definitely does not need to get even easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
msg tools
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and opinions!
It was a lot bigger of a response than I hoped for.

I can understand all of it and even though I already had modified my own rules mentally (in the way of only putting out every 2nd or 3rd coin in order to reduce the overall loot) I will definitely refrain from implementing this houserule and just play as it is.

Cheers, Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.