Trepid Asaurusrex
msg tools
Greetings. I am building a time travel board game that will include several different versions (centuries) of the same map, and for the map I will be designing a city landscape. There seems to be an enormous amount of software in regards to civil engineering, landscape design, etc, and I am hoping to narrow down the list to fit a small budget (if not free). The type of map I want to create will be a few city blocks so I am hoping for some suggestions/recommendations. What I am looking for is software that can draw and detail houses, apartment buildings, stores, roads, streets, and terrain including rocks, trees, grassland, cliffs, etc. I would like the view to be an aerial shot 3d (almost 2d) as if someone was looking at an aerial (satellite) photo of a google map of a few city blocks. Could you please give me some suggestions on what direction I should go? I have glanced at galleries of a few software programs like sketchup, paint, etc
but I wasn't sure if any of those will suit my needs yet.

..The following screenshot is a google map screenshot which is more or less exactly the quality I would like my map to look like, as if you were playing in a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photoshop would do it if you created a master file with houses, road elements tress etc. and simply copied them to create a map.
If you want a proper 3D software but have a limited budget and need something thats easy to learn i would recomend Sketchup (http://www.sketchup.com/). It used to be free back in my days and it´s super easy and intuitive.

I would use Illustrator for for technical drawings and lineart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:
Photoshop would do it if you created a master file with houses, road elements tress etc. and simply copied them to create a map.
If you want a proper 3D software but have a limited budget and need something thats easy to learn i would recomend Sketchup (http://www.sketchup.com/). It used to be free back in my days and it´s super easy and intuitive.

I would use Illustrator for for technical drawings and lineart.

What Pavel said. GIMP is the dominant shareware alternative to Photoshop, and Inkscape the alt for Illustrator, but, having used them all, as well as Corel's products, there's no comparison to Adobe's products IMO, for general purpose use. And the option to subscribe to them via the "Creative Cloud" makes them fairly affordable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony MR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can get a fully featured free version of Photoshop CS2 (I think).
Basically adobe turned off the serial number authentififation servers so they made the app free to all owners of it BUT you dont need to prove you owned it in anynway.
So techniaclly its free to previous owners but in reality its free to everyone and its a legit non-torrent dodgy download.

Search free potoshop cs2 or whatever.

Cs2 is old but imo opinion the years of updates have not added anything of dailyn use value that the older photoshops didnt already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.