Subject: Dragons Deeper in Deck with 5-6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
This is untested and simply a thought based on game experience.

With six players, the cards are taken more quickly and the Dragons may appear sooner (yes, I know this is a bit of an oversimplification).

What if in a 5 or 6 player game, the Dragons were shuffled into the bottom Third or Quarter of the deck instead of the bottom half?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this would just increases the game length and in turn the potential scores, so if you are OK with both, then I can't foresee any game breaking experiences here. Though you will lose some of the push your luck that happens earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Understood. The tension will come ... sooner or later.

The problem I saw is that if Two Dragons show up early in the second half of the deck ... it's tense for sure, but not a whole lot of FUN to have little chance to accomplish much in an age.

Yes yes, I know. That's the tension, the push-your-luck. Again, my personal opinion is that the tension is ALWAYS there with this brilliant and simple game mechanic.

[side note -- I have also been known to swap a few of the Scoring Markers on regions after the pre-game setup. I am not overly fond of regions that score 0-2-4 vis-a-vis regions that score 4-6-10]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
jmathias wrote:
I feel like this would just increases the game length and in turn the potential scores, so if you are OK with both, then I can't foresee any game breaking experiences here. Though you will lose some of the push your luck that happens earlier.

But would it increase the game length? Six players are (on average) going to deplete the deck perhaps as much as 50% faster than 4 players, yes? The unknown variable is "How often do players draw from the deck, versus taking from the up-turned cards or playing out bands?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

But would it increase the game length? Six players are (on average) going to deplete the deck perhaps as much as 50% faster than 4 players, yes? The unknown variable is "How often do players draw from the deck, versus taking from the up-turned cards or playing out bands?".

Yes on average it would.

Normally you would shuffle the dragons into around 36 cards, meaning that the age end would start to be a thing after around 36 cards drawn. Now we are shuffling into around 18 cards, and that means the age won't even have a chance of ending until we are down to around 3 drawable cards per player (6 players). And 3 of those will be dragons. So the age will last longer. It'll still be a fast game, but it'll be longer than intended. Also in just 18 cards the chance of a single player drawing all three dragons on their turn is even higher, given us a higher chance of a boring and disappointing age end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Sounds reasonable. So I think I'll try last third of the deck and not last quarter. Cuts down on the problems you raise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gaston
United States
TEGA CAY
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Understood. The tension will come ... sooner or later.

The problem I saw is that if Two Dragons show up early in the second half of the deck ... it's tense for sure, but not a whole lot of FUN to have little chance to accomplish much in an age.

Yes yes, I know. That's the tension, the push-your-luck. Again, my personal opinion is that the tension is ALWAYS there with this brilliant and simple game mechanic.

[side note -- I have also been known to swap a few of the Scoring Markers on regions after the pre-game setup. I am not overly fond of regions that score 0-2-4 vis-a-vis regions that score 4-6-10]

Sounds like you arent playing Ethnos any longer just a personalized, bastardized version of it that the designers never intended.

If the designers wanted set scoring per region then they would have printed values on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
UNCFanatik wrote:
Sounds like you arent playing Ethnos any longer just a personalized, bastardized version of it that the designers never intended.

If the designers wanted set scoring per region then they would have printed values on the board.

1) I don't recall stating that I play with "set scoring per region." Not sure where you are getting this from. I only said that I sometimes look at the random distribution and make a few switches for regional semi-parity (especially when I'm teaching game to a group for the first time).

2) Make a case to me why the players would strongly contest for a region that has scoring of 0-2-4 versus a region that has scoring of 4-8-10.

I'm generally a pain-in-the-ass stickler for playing precisely by the written rules, and I adore this designer (Libertalia and Dogs of War are all-time favorites).

Calling my version "bastardized" is a bit much, don't you think? I believe it's called a "variant" ... and I believe you owe me an apology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.