Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have gotten into Ascension big time in the last few weeks. Through trades and purchases we have gone from no copies of the game to 7 with 4 more on the way. But, right now at least, we like playing the sets separate. I don't yet have any promos. I am looking to get as many of them at GenCon as possible. My question is this, is it obvious which promos should go with or are best to go with each set? I know the theme packs can probably go into most of the sets but what about the other promos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://ascensiongame.com/?s=promo

This will help you match a promo to the year it was released. You can then match it to the game(s) released in that year.

I stopped collecting promos after set 4 so I can't speak of the rest. I think there was one promo that used the Energize mechanic, but otherwise all of the promos can be used with any set.

Also, just a personal opinion, but most of the promo cards are overpowered relative to their cost and I've seen runaway games caused by a player getting a promo card or two very early in the game. I tend to separate my promo cards out of my main decks and drop them in when I feel like playing a game with some "turned up" abilities. To each their own of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the promos that came with the year one set and so far we've mixed them into whatever game we're playing at the moment (Y1, AE, DU, RoV & GotE). Most of them are just a single card (in multiple copies) so adding them to a set won't change the balance very much. So in short: Mix and match any way you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I know the theme packs can probably go into most of the sets but what about the other promos?

The promos are not tied to any particular set. You can mix-and-match them as you please.

This link may also be helpful as it outlines a loose guideline for promo rarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.