Subject: When to use special abilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
red core
Canada
Vancouver
Burnaby
flag msg tools
Lets say i am fighting a hazard card with the draw value of 4 fighting cards. I draw the first one and that card has a special ability "+1 life".

Question: can i use that special ability right away or do i have to draw all the cards before i use any of the special abilities?

Same with "exchange, destroy..." etc. can i use those abilities right away?

Lets say i draw an aging card and the second drew card is a card with the "destroy" ability. Can i use that ability immediately to flip over the aging card and then continue to draw of the other fighting cards?

Thank you in advance.
Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redcore wrote:
Lets say i am fighting a hazard card with the draw value of 4 fighting cards. I draw the first one and that card has a special ability "+1 life".

Question: can i use that special ability right away or do i have to draw all the cards before i use any of the special abilities?

Same with "exchange, destroy..." etc. can i use those abilities right away?

Lets say i draw an aging card and the second drew card is a card with the "destroy" ability. Can i use that ability immediately to flip over the aging card and then continue to draw of the other fighting cards?

Thank you in advance.
Rob.

You can use abilities anytime you want. Also you are never required to draw the full amount of free cards allowed. You can even use an ability on one card (such as +2 Health), and then use an ability on a second card (like Exchange) to replace the first card.

The major exception here is to keep in mind which abilities trigger at the end of the round such as Phase -1 or Double. These cards must remain in play in order for you to benefit from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
You can use abilities anytime you want.

Except in the middle of resolving another card. E.g. "Exchange 2" - you cannot exchange card X to get a new card Y, use card Y's ability, then exchange card Y.

PS: OP, here is the rule for your question:
rules wrote:
After drawing each fighting card you can always decide to use the special ability of any drawn faceup
fighting card (regardless of left or right cards) in any order you like. You can use each special ability
only once during the fight against the hazard and turn the chosen card 90°. Only after using the ability
completely, you can activate the next ability of another card (see special abilities on page 10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You also cannot use a special ability after the fight is over. There are some that apply at the end of a fight, but your score must still apply after special abilities are used. E.g., if you intend to "destroy" a 1 card with no special abilities, you can't use the 1 score to defeat the hazard and then destroy the card after the battle is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
red core
Canada
Vancouver
Burnaby
flag msg tools
Thanks s lot guys.
Yeah i know. I can use any special ability in any order i like. I just didnt know if i can use it anytime.

And yeah. Makes sense that you cant use "exchange 2" from X, get Y card, use Y card ability and exchange that Y card for the second time, because it means that i havent finished first ability before i started the second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.