Subject: Near, Far and Beliebers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Weston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Near and Far is an adventure game where players spend their time exploring one of the eleven maps included in the game.

Each turn, players decide between exploring the map (establishing trade routes, completing quests, defeating threats, etc.) and visiting the town on the board (recruiting locals to help you, managing all of the loot you have accumulated and possibly dueling other players.

You will be accumulating resources and reputation to purchase artifact cards that give you a great deal of victory points and feel a lot like routes in Ticket to Ride. You can always draw more artifacts or discard artifacts you know you won’t complete. Beyond artifact cards, victory points can be attained through any number of ways (building camps, defeating threats, having lots of gold, etc.).

What I Love
-Victory points are attained in many ways and offer lots of ways to play the game.
-You have the ability to tailor your party to your liking and hone in on your style of play.
-The story book is excellent when questing. I love the choose your own adventure portion of the game and Near and Far’s story book has a conclusion to your story, unlike Above and Below’s story book, and I definitely prefer it that way.
-Once committed to Near and Far you can play through the maps as a campaign (where you read stories that correspond to spaces on the map) or as a character arc (where you read stories that correspond to the character). Both are a ton of fun and add to the replay-ability of the game.
-You don’t read all of the stories on the map, again adding to the replay-ability of each of the 11 maps.

And The Not So Good
-The flow of the game was hard to understand through our first game. I assume that’s partially my fault but I wonder if the rulebook could’ve been laid out better. Give the game a chance or two and you will be well rewarded!
-It would have been nice to have a re-roll mechanic when your die rolls go south. You can spend the hearts you have to add to your rolls, but a re-rolling would’ve been nice.

The Silly
I play the game with my wife. In a two-player game, a third character is added and placed in the Town Hall. In our first game chose to use the character that resembled Ryan Lauket. A few turns into the game my wife chose to duel the character and unknowingly called him Justin Bieber. I laughed hilariously.

Edited to clarify that the 3rd character in a game is placed in the Town Hall. Thanks OchreOgre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
nathanaelsmith88 wrote:

The Silly
I play the game with my wife. In a two-player game, a third character is added and placed in the tavern. In our first game chose to use the character that resembled Ryan Lauket. A few turns into the game my wife chose to duel the character and unknowingly called him Justin Bieber. I laughed hilariously.

Um? Something wrong there.

The rules state:
A) 1 unused character is added to the Town Hall, not the Tavern? One need not duel at the Tavern (but could as an option), but in a two-player game a third character is added to the Town Hall, requiring any player who visits Town Hall to duel the third character (or each other, if one player is there first).
and
2) Making sure you placed an unused character, i.e. one of the standees, such as Eyim (or Grear, who we use as our 3rd)?

Not one of the adventurers, the ones you draw from the bag? Ryan is actually one of the adventurers you can hire [as is Malorie, Brenna, Alf, and I'm pretty sure either Andrew or Craig are also in there, possibly both!].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Weston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
nathanaelsmith88 wrote:

The Silly
I play the game with my wife. In a two-player game, a third character is added and placed in the tavern. In our first game chose to use the character that resembled Ryan Lauket. A few turns into the game my wife chose to duel the character and unknowingly called him Justin Bieber. I laughed hilariously.

Um? Something wrong there.

The rules state:
A) 1 unused character is added to the Town Hall, not the Tavern? One need not duel at the Tavern (but could as an option), but in a two-player game a third character is added to the Town Hall, requiring any player who visits Town Hall to duel the third character (or each other, if one player is there first).
and
2) Making sure you placed an unused character, i.e. one of the standees, such as Eyim (or Grear, who we use as our 3rd)?

Not one of the adventurers, the ones you draw from the bag? Ryan is actually one of the adventurers you can hire [as is Malorie, Brenna, Alf, and I'm pretty sure either Andrew or Craig are also in there, possibly both!].

A)Right, thank you. I misspoke.
2/B) We used Eyim. I do think he resembles Ryan. There is also an adventurer that resembles him as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McCannell
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyim, AKA Anakin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.