Hide
6 Posts

Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Board question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Loos
msg tools
What is the purpose of the 5 strategos spots below the assembly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Fill them with strategos & then distribute after determining controlling faction as per 7.3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Correll
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I know you can just read page 12, section 7.3 to find out that it is a reward for becoming the controlling faction. Not knowing a lot about this point in history, I take it as you gain the support of those who where on-the-fence about the debated issues and since you became the controlling faction, you simply won them over. Now you have more power to accomplish your plans to greatness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hbaq121 wrote:
I know you can just read page 12, section 7.3 to find out that it is a reward for becoming the controlling faction. Not knowing a lot about this point in history, I take it as you gain the support of those who where on-the-fence about the debated issues and since you became the controlling faction, you simply won them over. Now you have more power to accomplish your plans to greatness.

An interesting theory, but not what I was simulating. Both sides had the equivalent of a Military Council. In the case of Athens it was the Strategos of 10 elected generals. The Spartans had the kings and ephors who did the equivalent.

If you are the Controlling faction you in essence are gaining strategos leverage over and above what was achieved in the political arena because you are the head of the military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
MarkHerman wrote:
If you are the Controlling faction you in essence are gaining strategos leverage over and above what was achieved in the political arena because you are the head of the military.

But what does that mean in game terms? I think it means you direct your rival faction to go out & conquer while you guard you own territory at home. Yes you may get a few more strategos from the Strategy Board but you are also subject to strategos loss from diplomatic actions & raids due to being the controlling faction.

otoh in my experience, raids have been woefully underused despite Mark's call to make them a regular part of your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwiik wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:

But what does that mean in game terms? I think it means you direct your rival faction to go out & conquer while you guard you own territory at home. Yes you may get a few more strategos from the Strategy Board but you are also subject to strategos loss from diplomatic actions & raids due to being the controlling faction.

otoh in my experience, raids have been woefully underused despite Mark's call to make them a regular part of your strategy.

Good point about Raids, I may have to write something up.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.