Subject: Opener of the Way - Million Favored Ones (iirc) question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Opener's spell book "Million Favored Ones" (at least I think) that lets it upgrade survivors after pains and kills are distributed.

Do the pained units still get upgraded?

If no pains or kills are rolled does the effect also still works?

If I have no dice in the combat does it work?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pained units are upgraded.

If combat is resolved during Pre-Battle, then you don't upgrade. For Example, Flying Polyp vs. Abomination. If Invisibility is used, combat ends and no upgrade occurs.

You not having dice is fine, but it has to get to the post battle portion of combat.

Note that a unit retreated by Howl does not upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
mablet wrote:
With Opener's spell book "Million Favored Ones" (at least I think) that lets it upgrade survivors after pains and kills are distributed.

Thanks.

1)pained units upgrade (as mablet says)
2) if no results happen, the effect still works. "After pains & kills" includes if there are no pains or kills.
3) if you have no dice in the combat it still works, but of course you can't declare combat in that case, and must rely on your enemy to start it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
mablet wrote:

Thanks.

2) if no results happen, the effect still works. "After pains & kills" includes if there are no pains or kills.
3) if you have no dice in the combat it still works, but of course you can't declare combat in that case, and must rely on your enemy to start it.

Just to be a pedantic pain, re #3, you could start a battle vs Tcho-Tchos, then lose all your combat dice to Proto-shoggoth shenanigans. So you could have declared combat but have no dice in the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
mablet wrote:

Thanks.

Just to be a pedantic pain, re #3, you could start a battle vs Tcho-Tchos, then lose all your combat dice to Proto-shoggoth shenanigans. So you could have declared combat but have no dice in the combat.

That's actually a good point because it something similar came up in our game where the flying polyps basically did just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mablet wrote:
hemulen wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
mablet wrote:

Thanks.

That's actually a good point because it something similar came up in our game where the flying polyps basically did just that.

I would say yes. You had the dice when you declared combat, but the pre-battle ability took them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.