Popular Tags: [View All]
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've definitely played a few dozen games with this in it (randomly) thanks to dominion.games, and I'm convinced this is broken ( at least in two player). No matter what other cards are in the kingdom, and no matter how much money someone gets on a turn, Sauna/Avanto is their first pick.

If it's not less-than-the-best in at least some kingdoms, it is totally broken. How is it in higher-player-count games? I'd guess players would still race to it, because if one player gets them un-competed, they'd crush.

So I really desire an errata to this. Any ideas? Of course I won't be able to use it online, but in casual home games it would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some spitball ideas:

-no-copper restriction like Grand Market
-First one starts more expensive, and they get cheaper as you dig down the pile? (8/7/6/5/4 for Sauna, 10/9/8/7/6 for Avanto)? So buying one makes it cheaper for your opponents.
-As an additional cost to buy, trash a victory card from your hand? This would at least limit players to 3 of them at the onset of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe it is necessary. My 2 player games usually have the card evenly divided plus the card isn't that big a deal until both parts are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Sauna/Avanto is that it does three things. It can be your village (playing a chain can get you +2 Actions or more), it can draw, and it can trash. If there are already those three things on the board, Sauna/Avanto is pretty skippable. But the chance that it's the only village OR the only draw OR the only trasher is pretty high, so often there's a rush for them.

Here's my suggested version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
The problem with Sauna/Avanto is that it does three things. It can be your village (playing a chain can get you +2 Actions or more), it can draw, and it can trash. If there are already those three things on the board, Sauna/Avanto is pretty skippable. But the chance that it's the only village OR the only draw OR the only trasher is pretty high, so often there's a rush for them.

Here's my suggested version:

I like this a lot. Though it is cheap. it does less, so fair. It's nothing but a cantrip until you get to the Avantos. Should the Avantos go up in price too to $6 maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.